Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lookouts, sentries, and guard-duty
28 May 2014, 15:38,
RE: Lookouts, sentries, and guard-duty
One can not set a "standard" since each situation will be different. Proper location and posting of guards is done as pare of each individual defensive plan.

I suppose I have a different concept about this with both military and historical backgrounds. I have seen the effects of lax security in person, and I have studied the results historically.

The result of lax security is dead people!

In a dangerous or crisis situation life takes on a new rhythm. Going to bed at dark and sleeping soundly through the night will be a thing of the past. There is a daytime life and a nighttime life. Night time life will involve being up and moving around several times during the hours of darkness. Daytime may include catching a nap when there is nothing to do and you know you will be on guard for half the night.

The fatigue of guard duty is the reason it is dismissed so often and a group becomes vulnerable. It is difficult, but it is absolutely mandatory that security be maintained. Yep, you may get tired, guess what? Your optional alternative is DEAD!

It is the end of the world, you are not supposed to be comfortable and well rested!

As for the numbers of people needed; 4 corners X 3 shifts ...

That sounds necessary but may not be. If you can deprive the access to one or two sides of the facility, use solar powered video, trip wires and alarm systems one person can monitor the entire facility.

Do not use more people on guard than are absolutely necessary. It will destroy morale instantly. The more people you have on guard the less each person feels their individual responsibility. The inevitable question will be asked, "why do we all have to be here?" If that question is being asked the answer is probably that they don't really have to be there and fewer guards would work.

Dogs are a "force multiplier"!! The presence of dogs is not an option! In a crisis you leave the realm of "I don't like them, I don't want them" or "they are too difficult to feed." One dog awake means two people get to sleep.

In almost every crisis area on the face of the globe the people find the meanest and most vicious dogs they can acquire and they chain them to the front door at night! The first recommendation of every police department when someone needs added security is "get a dog".

A small yelpy little nescience of a creature has a better sense of smell and hearing than any human alive! All they have to do is alert you to a suspected presence, not fight the battle for you. When they alert EVERYONE is up and awake!

My experience in hostile situations was that guard duty was not considered a burden in units with good morale that had bonded as a group. Dozing off on guard was considered a personal failure, something getting past you was a reflection on your feeling of responsibility to your group.

You were not standing guard, you were protecting your friends! I would feel even stronger about that if it were family.

And you do it every night, 365 nights a year !!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lookouts, sentries, and guard-duty - by Mortblanc - 28 May 2014, 15:38