Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMR446 50+Km range yesterday
30 July 2012, 08:22,
RE: PMR446 50+Km range yesterday
Hi SD

TLN is considering getting a 5r to increase range over his PMRs.

Any idea what sort of increased range he could expect?

Cheers & beers

LS

72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 July 2012, 12:40,
Always been the case that range is a function of the aerial.
Buck Fusby'ers used the phrase "Bigger the twig the further you speak."
No technical knowledge needed. More metal = more speak and listen.

The other limitation has got to be FM.
For long distance communications it really sucks.
The amount of times I've held onto an AM signal with headphones on is endless.
FM? Once the signal goes, up comes the discriminator hiss.
(A discriminator is the electronics used to get the voice out of FM)

Yet the UK CB 'powers that be' love the mode!
I'm ever so glad the EU harmonised CB. Something good and sensible out of Brussels.

At last I'm back onto AM legally and happily listening to and talking back to tiny voices miles away.

30 July 2012, 14:18,
Hi Paul,

I learn something new every day...

"At last I'm back onto AM legally and happily listening to and talking back to tiny voices miles away"

I didn't realise that AM is once again legal in UK, I thought we were only trusted with FM.

Thanks for the advice.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 July 2012, 15:16,
Although I have a 5r I;ve not tested it yet. I use the PMRs, not using the CB or the mid range kit yet. Looking at sorting out the long range stuff first because that is my next requiremnt, speaking to people far, far away.

Sorry.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
30 July 2012, 15:19,
(30 July 2012, 15:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: Although I have a 5r I;ve not tested it yet. I use the PMRs, not using the CB or the mid range kit yet. Looking at sorting out the long range stuff first because that is my next requiremnt, speaking to people far, far away.

Sorry.

Hi SD

No worries.

Good that you're going to be up and running on long range soon.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

30 July 2012, 19:39,
Thanx for all input lads , short term comms will be PMR based , 99% probably a UVR 5 with maybe some baby baos 888s for the rest of the family.

Short term -
I will be looking into using either the UVR 5 as a semi-basestation connected to an external antenna , with the handsets used on a personal comms basis , probably try and work something out as regards manpacking a better ext antenna and ext power into a backpack too.

After initial SHTF and on settling into B.O.L -
I will get back onto the CB freqs to start building up a picture of who is active and where they are , I'm comfy with most of the skills / knowledge required here , done it a lot in my younger days , just needed help on narrowing the choice of a new rig , which will be used possibly on a manpack basis too , again with an ext antenna and power supply.

Regards and 73s lol.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
31 July 2012, 07:13,
(30 July 2012, 14:18)Lightspeed Wrote: Hi Paul,

I learn something new every day...

"At last I'm back onto AM legally and happily listening to and talking back to tiny voices miles away"

I didn't realise that AM is once again legal in UK, I thought we were only trusted with FM.

Thanks for the advice.

LS

EU Harmonisation.
Looky here. http://www.citizensbandradio.org.uk/e107...?item.35.2

Although I'm not European, this is one time when I'm going to enjoy their meddling. Buck Fusby must be turning in his grave.

Big GrinBig Grin

31 July 2012, 08:47,
VERY URGENT CB MESSAGE
In error I thought that the EU harmonisation of channels on CB sets meant it was OK to use AM in the UK.

Comes with reading incorrect information on the Internet.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

IT IS STILL ILLEGAL TO USE AM MODULATION IN THE UK

OFCOM , in it's infinite wisdom, has decided that the chance of generating television interference is enough to

BAN THE USE OF AM IN THE UK.

This document lays out the rules. http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binarie...osheet.pdf

So if you want to be a good boy or girl, leave the AM switch off.

I hope this clarifys the currently confused situation.

31 July 2012, 08:53,
I thought it was undr review by the Brit authorities and was expected to be legalised?

31 July 2012, 08:57,
(31 July 2012, 08:53)NorthernRaider Wrote: I thought it was undr review by the Brit authorities and was expected to be legalised?

Yep, the same EU harmonisation document covers use of AM, and also SSB at higher power. This is ratified in Poland, Germany, France, Netherlands Czech Republic etc. but as ever our government is taking its time to put it in place.

SO.....ANYTHING OTHER THAN NORMAL UK FM CHANNELS ARE ILLEGAL TO USE AT THE CURRENT TIME.

regards

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580