Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lone wolf question: Always wanted to ask.
4 September 2013, 12:26,
RE: Lone wolf question: Always wanted to ask.
probably because it isn't practical at the moment.

and to be clear i'm not sure about community, but i don't have food stores, but where i live, there are plenty of things to eat.

I COULD live quite happily without the internet, but while i have the facilities to use them i'll use them to my advantage.

same with housing, central heating, refrigeration, electrickery etc. i don't NEED any of these (the govt and big corps try to convince us we do, but we could SURVIVE without them)

and i beleive, with my skills and gear, in this area, i could make a decent go of it, without drawing attention to myself. and see out most disasters that we are likely to face here in the UK (no tinfoil hat stuff or hollywood movie scripts)

some people beleive, and quite rightly so, that they would have difficulty finding food and water in their particular locale, so are caching these items in the home.

Its basically a risk assesment that each person has done and planned what they need to do based on this assesment.

For instance, in my area there is a major abundance of water and wood, there is also plentifuly wild plants, game and cattle. so for now i'm keeping my eye on these things but not stockpiling them.

the nearest hospital is not within walking distance, so medical supplies is my priority right now
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 September 2013, 12:37,
that's fine for now, but come SHTF these things will no longer be around, if you cant stock pile because of financial reasons that's one thing but if your not doing it cos you cant be bothered that's just daft!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 12:39,
Family stops me from being a lone wolf, distrust and frustration with people at large stops me from communities.
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!
4 September 2013, 12:43,
Binnie

BP has a point. Yo have a lot of cattle around at the moment. I wi=onder how man others wil have their sights set on those self-same animals in times of crisis.

Have you the means to catch slaughter, butcher and store beasts of that size?

Likewise water. Heavy to carry. Recognised source of disease and contamination in broken down societies. Going out to collect it puts you at risk of attack.

Many oi us intend to keep our heads down even in areas of naurally available resources, so for us food stores are important
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

4 September 2013, 12:46,
(4 September 2013, 12:37)bigpaul Wrote: that's fine for now, but come SHTF these things will no longer be around, if you cant stock pile because of financial reasons that's one thing but if your not doing it cos you cant be bothered that's just daft!

don't actually have anywhere to put things BP. (though i'm working on that one as we speak)

we've a few weeks worth of food in the cupboards, and i've always got rat packs on hand, but past that, it's natures larder.

LS without saying too much, i know how to process the livestock that are kept in this area. it might not be michelin star quality cuts of meat, but it'll be edible!

to keep the stores required to survive, at this point, is not my best option. as i said before, space constraints are my biggest hurdle.
in some cases, those with the least to say, say the most.....
4 September 2013, 12:54,
we have the same problems Binnie. small modern 2 bed semi detached house with MINIMAL storage, but we have 2 freezers full of meat and fruit, we have a tin store in a small alcove, cheap metal shelving unit bought at a car boot, we have enough food stocked for about 6months minimum-with a bit of portion control and what we grow in the garden we could extend this to 9 months or so, nothing bought in a large amount, just a few extra tins every time we went shopping. it can be done and it dosent have to break the bank.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 September 2013, 13:30,
I was going to do the freezer thing as well but had concerns about if the power goes off?

I picked up a cheap petrol genny but it wouldn't last forever and too noisy for long term use I think.

It lasts 6 hours for 4 liters of petrol.

Though I supppose you wouldnt need it on constantly as the foods frozen so it'd keep itself fairly fresh so perhaps a blast of an hour or two a day to keep it very cold?

Anybody had an experience of freezers with no leccy and running on generators?
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
4 September 2013, 13:37,
if the power goes off the food in the freezer will last at least 3 days as long as you don't keep opening the lid.
4 September 2013, 13:54,
It sounds like you have every preppers problems; Storage. You should consider under the bed, under the stairs etc.

You gave the impression though that you had decided not to store food rather than you had space issues. There are usually ways.

Just to try and help I think everyone has storage problems, some worse than others. It's picking up ideas from others and that is what this site is for.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
4 September 2013, 14:00,
Wait until you've got a whole room dedicated just to prep storage. Then cry when you move house every 6 months.....