Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CALLING ALL NEWBIES and WANNABIES
26 April 2013, 10:08,
RE: CALLING ALL NEWBIES and WANNABIES
Hey guys. I'm new here and thought it best to add something here; I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before; I was reading about people injuring themselves and there not been any antibiotics etc. I have found that Potassium permanganate mixed with some water cleans out a wound (cut) and soothes a burn and stops infection very well; and also when u mix a little anti freeze with it; it will start an excellent fire. It's very cheap and lightweight, so I always have some in my bug out bag.
26 April 2013, 11:20,
sterile packets of sugar, from cafes, can also be used to keep wounds clean and quick healing. hurts less than a packet of salt as well.
26 April 2013, 20:35,
There are a few things that will do the job of sterilizing wounds,... vinegar is one,.. urine is another .... ^^^ sugar is a good one, it draws out any badness, and helps dry the wound
A major part of survival is invisibility.
26 April 2013, 20:44,
Great thanks guys. I'm always looking for items that can be used for multiple purposes.
27 April 2013, 17:53,
(22 April 2013, 21:48)Straight Shooter Wrote: Hi all ! if you have just got started on the road of the survivalist or prepper, How are you doing, are you working to a plan? . For a lot of us starting the tendency is to try to get everything all at once, and there,s new skills to learn, its a lot to take in , in one hit that is , especially if you feel time is against you, you feel its all uphill and WHAT order of things should you be working towards, what's first, what should be last, do not let this get you down, its quite normal , then there's the time to do things and of course the money to buy the things you need, no easy feat if your on the bones of your arse, BUT you have made the first step just being HERE, a positive step forward, that's what you need lots of BEING POSITIVE is the number one thing you need to be a survivalist or prepper, so it follows you have to stay positive, if you have no money there are a lot of things you could and should be doing to keep moving forwards , it could be looking for a BOL or sharpening a knife loads of stuff to be doing. You should post something if you think the subject would be of interest for others ( don't worry about making a dick of yourself ....I do it all the time) get stuck in and get involved ALL of us will see the benefit of your input and you will grow with the experience of posting, everyone starts in the same place on there.... the good... the bad and the ugly......get posting! let us know where your at or not
2 May 2013, 23:51,
Well, it's been a week - just a week and I had to go and check my calendar to be sure. So much happening, so much information, so much change. So where am I?

Firstly, because of some medical crap you don't need to be bored with, my memory is equally crap, so everything has to be in black and white, for reference. Secondly, whether it's an organisational need in me or just a sergeant-major'y sort of throw-back, it all has to be in it's place. Logical lists feeding into 'to do' priority lists, feeding into the schedule and with any kind of luck, actually getting done! I can picture hands being thrown in the air and many expletives colouring the atmosphere but some already are. Window boxes are under construction, although I need some more materiel, inventory is under way and lists aplenty are under construction.

So, how has just that one remarkably short week been? Well for one, the balance of what I know against what I now know I need to know (did that make sense?) is becoming ever clearer and to begin with, was overwhelming. Sound advice and offers of practical help have been invaluable and I can't thank the members of this Forum (it deserves a capital F,) enough for that. Special thanks are due to one or two who I will not name but you know who you are.

It's clear that there's no magic wand that will make it all happen and I understand now that a little bit at a time, even a can at a time, is progress and a tick in a box is a victory, so the way forward, for me at least, is to mitigate for the least of my identified risks, storing knowledge and equipment to deal with that. When that's been done (and I realise that will continue to evolve,) then I'll tackle the next risk on the list, not replacing the knowledge and equipment but building on it and so on. I may not soon be ready for an asteroid strike but if the power goes off for the evening, we'll be fine, know what I mean?

3 May 2013, 09:48,
What you have just said GG will inspire ALL on this site, no matter what stage ANYONE,S at.....and a good reminder to ALL why and where we all started from. Well done ! good post!
3 May 2013, 13:19,
Hi and thanks M, where would I buy Potassium manganate?
I was reading an article on fish antibiotics, much the same as human antibiotics. Easy to purchase at Aquatic stores. Although I dont really like using antibiotics I feel that when SHTF, We will see a lot of different things affecting us like urinary tract infections which can be very serious, due to dehydration, infections due to poor hygeine and personal care, such as thrush, yeast infections. I work in a hospital and see how quickly skin can break down due to self neglect, poor hygeine. Fortunately we get these guys back to normal though its easy as we have sterile conditions, and access to all the meds, creams, pills they need. Think we should get Cavilon cream and spray, for breakdowns of skin such as pressure sores, athletes foot powder, and Canestan, for yeast infections in our Fak's.
3 May 2013, 16:31, (This post was last modified: 3 May 2013, 16:43 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
(3 May 2013, 13:19)PaulandNell Wrote: Hi and thanks M, where would I buy Potassium manganate?
I was reading an article on fish antibiotics, much the same as human antibiotics. Easy to purchase at Aquatic stores. Although I dont really like using antibiotics I feel that when SHTF, We will see a lot of different things affecting us like urinary tract infections which can be very serious, due to dehydration, infections due to poor hygeine and personal care, such as thrush, yeast infections. I work in a hospital and see how quickly skin can break down due to self neglect, poor hygeine. Fortunately we get these guys back to normal though its easy as we have sterile conditions, and access to all the meds, creams, pills they need. Think we should get Cavilon cream and spray, for breakdowns of skin such as pressure sores, athletes foot powder, and Canestan, for yeast infections in our Fak's.

Now that's a damn fine thought! Lists under amendment and new research on animal/fish medications on the reading list. Like I needed some more!!Smile

Would you consider please, spending a little time listing a few of what other ailments might be prevalent post incident and what generic medicines we might hold to deal with them? No rush of course, but it would be appreciated by me a least (still a newbieBig Grin) and perhaps by some others?

3 May 2013, 16:49,
off the shelf creams wont last long post SHTF, a better prep would be to learn how to make them yourself from natural ingridients.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.