Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
What have done towards your prep?
17 June 2024, 21:10,
RE: What have done towards your prep?
Pete, The stats I get show that there are a lot of lurkers on both this site and the main site, the files site has less lurkers and more downloaders. I have been emailed by a couple over the years and their comments are always the same, they are learning and are not ready to contribute and don't really know what questions to ask. So they download and read until they find out what they want.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 June 2024, 23:50,
Yes, do your research, decide what risks are most likely to affect you depending on where you live and your circumstances, this is the best place to start and cover the basic needs of survival.

Our preps at the moment, checking tins for any damage or rust, use by dates are only a rough guide and not very important if you rotate your stocks. We work on six months food stocks, most canned food is easily good for a couple of years past there use by date, use common sense.

We always used to find car-boot sales good for camping/prepping bargains but haven’t been to one in years (before covid).
23 June 2024, 07:43,
I use an overflow box system, we use what is on the larder shelves-the older stuff- then restock from the overflow box, we do a monthly big shop and the new stuff goes into the overflow box, then start over again, we reckon we are good for at least 6 months if not more.
we go to Exeter car boot sale once a month, any more than that then we are liable to see the same stuff again.
there are other boot sales in the area.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 June 2024, 20:13,
(17 June 2024, 12:29)Skean Dhude Wrote: 200 guests. That has always been an issue on these sites. A lot of lurkers and very few posting. I like to think that these people are new to prepping and thus don't feel confident to speak. That is what these sites are for. To help those who are new and just getting started.

Going by my own experience of life over the years, it seems that many people are lurkers in general,.....if this forum were a weekly meet up in a village hall, how many folk would actually turn up/participate, even if the UK were the size of the Isle of Man for example, so taking away the distance/travel aspect.

I think that it's certainly become worse since the whole internet thing, back in the 80's you had to go out, join clubs etc to meet people and learn things, there were no other option.

An acquaintance of mine is trying to start a motorcyle hub in my area, a place where us bikers can meet up basically, he did have maybe 60 to 100 people turn up on the initial proposal day but not many seem to be committed to the cause shall we say.
He'd found a hut/piece of land to rent, it's reasonable price wise but without a bit of support from the members, I'm not sure that it will happen, sadly.

Just one example of my observations/experience of people in general.
Yesterday, 21:36,
Even with help for bigger garden jobs we are still doing a couple of hours garden work a day, every day, we are trying to simplify things so as we get older we can keep things tidy. This seams to be taking most of our time.

We are hoping to go off in the camper again soon now the weather is improving as we go into summer, when we were away earlier water was running off the land , it was saturated, good job we were on hard standing.

That’s where we are.

Everyone.....take care.....keep safe.