Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EDC/GHB latest addition
29 July 2018, 15:27,
EDC/GHB latest addition
The latest addition to my EDC and GHB which is now a small black daysac (like everyone seems to have) is a couple of four inch wide crepe bandages, in case of a sprained ankle or knee, so i can keep moving.
30 July 2018, 17:05,
RE: EDC/GHB latest addition
Or you could stop and tape them first so they do not get sprained.

That is the order most athletes and trainers do it so they can avoid the injury rather than treat the injury.
30 July 2018, 23:42,
(30 July 2018, 17:05)Mortblanc Wrote: Or you could stop and tape them first so they do not get sprained.

That is the order most athletes and trainers do it so they can avoid the injury rather than treat the injury.

Does this mean before i go into town i’ve got to strap up my knees and ankles, just in case TSHTF and i have to move out on foot ?.
31 July 2018, 15:52,
NO, but it does mean that if you have to abandon the vehicle, and you have time, you might want to consider it.

Or you could wait and just deal with the pain as you stumble along.

I do know that some folk have an extra pair of walking boots in their kit which they intend to swap for their more casual wear. Why not wrap the ankles when the switch is being made?
31 July 2018, 19:22,
I was just joking MB but your right, if you have to abandon your vehicle and move out on foot, if your boots do not give adequate ankle support, strapping you ankles is worth doing, especially if you are on rough ground and carrying a load, as you are more likely to twist your ankle and with a load like a heavy pack more damage will be done.

A good few years ago i was walking solo in snowdonia, on a reasonably good path, and late in the day i turned my ankle (and i was wearing good walking boots), it took me 2 1/2 hours to walk just over a mile to my car mostly in the dark, fortunately i was well equipped with a FAK and a torch in my kit.

I would not like to be in that position on foot in a SHTF situation, if strapping helps to prevent it then it’s worth doing.
31 July 2018, 19:50,
Most back packers have had the experience.

I once bruised my feet and ankles half way up to the knee while trying to do something a bit foolish. I was attempting to hike one of the old historic footpaths here in our eastern hills wearing 18th century gear and carrying a pack basket, to include wearing moccasins. They give no support of any kind to feet and ankles and it took me two weeks to heal up enough to get back on the trail. When I returned I made the concession of wearing good hiking boots without caring if they were historically correct or not.

Even with quality foot wear rough trails can be a disaster.

BTW, hard core packers over here have been known to use duct tape, I think you guys call it gaffer tape, for support of knees and ankles. Everyone should have a roll of tape in the vehicle so that should be kept in the back of the mind. It is also used to cover hot spots and stop blisters from forming.

And if your boots start to fall apart you can tape them back together too!
2 August 2018, 14:26,
In our camping equipment we have a Vango Force Ten tent in orange canvas, sticks out like a sore thumb. Has anyone dyed a canvas tent ? as we want it to look more discrete. We know we will have to reproof it, at one time you could get green reproofing fluid.
3 August 2018, 11:04,
Maybe you could just cover it in a camo cover Pete. Found this one on ebay, the largest size 5.4x7 metres for around £30.
3 August 2018, 11:06,
(3 August 2018, 11:04)LAC Wrote: Maybe you could just cover it in a camo cover Pete. Found this one on ebay, the largest size 5.4x7 metres for around £30.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camouflage-Tarp...=R40&rt=nc
3 August 2018, 17:28,
I have to agree with LAC.

After you start messing with a tent it is never the same.

Much better to even buy a cheap camo tarp to drape over the orange tent than to ruin a good shelter. Cheaper too.

Plus there is the factor that one might actually want the orange blaze big shelter to be seen rather than hide it. SHTF has not happened as of yet and if SAR is ever needed the color would actually help.