Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter checks
3 December 2018, 22:22,
Winter checks
Pre,winter checks are here ! Along with associated kit...so that's what I will be sorting out the next few days ,although I stay on top with maintainance
I pay particular attention for winter , antifreeze , oil , coolant , brake fluid ,hydraulic oil, tyres and pressures ,and windscreen washer fluids .

In the boot , snow shovel,snow matts,two wool blankets,wellintons ,socks , heavy coat ,ghb 50 m r ,spare fuel ,spare bulbs , kettle , water and small gas stove ,and some LED torches . Most will fit into a plastic crate for ease of storage when not in and in use ,all other stuff that I normally keep onboard is not affected and stays out all year round .

The weather guy says we could have some snow this week , so with Pete telling us about his camper preps last week ..I'd better pull my finger out !
3 December 2018, 23:54,
RE: Winter checks
SS............Well done you Smile
4 December 2018, 22:02,
Snow on the ground this morning.

We're all gonna' die!

SS you forgot your tow strap!

I keep one on hand year around in case needed for simple recovery.
4 December 2018, 23:59,
No I did not forget the tow belt MB ,that is always onboard and standard ....along with other stuff , just did not list it .
5 December 2018, 14:32,
It was interesting to see SS’s list of the winter gear he carries.

In our daily runabout, we rarely travel more than 25 miles from home, i only carry extra fuel if we are travelling more than 100 miles ( a 200 mile round trip ).

However in addition to the usual EDC and GHB i do have spare bulbs and fuses, and a basic tool kit, in addition is a syphon pump which can be used for water or fuel, and a crowbar. Also a good scissor jack which can be used to force open gates or railings, should i have to do some scavenging.

I also carry a large ( 5m x 4m ) tarpaulin, enough food for 3 or 4 days and an esbit and pans, should we have to wait four things to quietbefore we can travel,
5 December 2018, 14:42,
(5 December 2018, 14:32)Pete Grey Wrote: It was interesting to see SS’s list of the winter gear he carries.

In our daily runabout, we rarely travel more than 25 miles from home, i only carry extra fuel if we are travelling more than 100 miles ( a 200 mile round trip ).

However in addition to the usual EDC and GHB i do have spare bulbs and fuses, and a basic tool kit, in addition is a syphon pump which can be used for water or fuel, and a crowbar. Also a good scissor jack which can be used to force open gates or railings, should i have to do some scavenging.

I also carry a large ( 5m x 4m ) tarpaulin, enough food for 3 or 4 days and an esbit and pans, should we have to wait four things to quietbefore we can travel,

......should we have to wait for things to quieten down before we can travel.

Our car is just to get home, the camper is for bugging out.
5 December 2018, 16:21,
One thing I have got out of this thread ...Pete's camper......chemical toilet and chemicals....may well be a good prep (in the short term) then converted later to a composting loo ......as a general prep...cheap enough on eBay or just chemicals,bin and some timber for a seat ?.
5 December 2018, 16:41,
BTW MB we are not all gonna die! You silly sausage !
5 December 2018, 22:52,
(5 December 2018, 16:41)Straight Shooter Wrote: BTW MB we are not all gonna die! You silly sausage !

At 75 i’m still here and with all the jobs the OH has lined up for me i’ll need another 75 Years Smile .
6 December 2018, 22:52,
(5 December 2018, 16:21)Straight Shooter Wrote: One thing I have got out of this thread ...Pete's camper......chemical toilet and chemicals....may well be a good prep (in the short term) then converted later to a composting loo ......as a general prep...cheap enough on eBay or just chemicals,bin and some timber for a seat ?.

SS.....I also thought you lived in a semi rural location and i assumed you had a septic tank.