Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-tired
18 July 2020, 21:42,
Re-tired
I got tired once and rested up, then I got tired again so I suppose that means I have re-tired.

Sad to say that I have had to retire some of my favorites. They have gone into the depths of the gun safe and will probably remain there until my son visits his next trip. I will send them to a new home with him.

I have developed arthritis in my left shoulder and can no longer effectively operate the pump shotguns I have used for a lifetime. At 70 this is not the kind of temporary pain that fades away. It is there and it will stay with me to remind me I am an old man. Otherwise I might try to do something stupid.

Fortunately I have several lightweight semiautos in various gauges that will serve for now as defense hardware and I had almost completely gone to O/U doubles for my hunting.

Pumps will still remain my favorites even though they are now there just as decorations.
18 July 2020, 23:38,
RE: Re-tired
At 76 i consider you a youngster MB, but as you say the pain does not fade, but at least it tells you you’re still alive.
20 July 2020, 17:57,
Well you change what you need to to adapt. At least you are able to do that. Your son will think Christmas has com early.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 July 2020, 22:04,
Oh, my son has better stuff than I do, and more of it!

Most of the junk I always wanted and could never afford he has managed to purchase.

We do have similar taste, due to the apple not falling far from the tree, so much of the combined inventory duplicates itself.

We once crossed the phone lines up trying to call each other to pass the news that we had both purchased Soviet SVD rifles from the same supplier on the same day.

That proved to be a fun weekend. Russian surplus ammo was selling 440 rounds in a huge "spam can" for $50 and we burned most of two cans up that weekend.
10 September 2020, 12:28,
(18 July 2020, 21:42)Mortblanc Wrote: I got tired once and rested up, then I got tired again so I suppose that means I have re-tired.

Sad to say that I have had to retire some of my favorites. They have gone into the depths of the gun safe and will probably remain there until my son visits his next trip. I will send them to a new home with him.

I have developed arthritis in my left shoulder and can no longer effectively operate the pump shotguns I have used for a lifetime. At 70 this is not the kind of temporary pain that fades away. It is there and it will stay with me to remind me I am an old man. Otherwise I might try to do something stupid.

Fortunately I have several lightweight semiautos in various gauges that will serve for now as defense hardware and I had almost completely gone to O/U doubles for my hunting.

Pumps will still remain my favorites even though they are now there just as decorations.
Move over to Powder, patch & ball Mort, slow things down a bit mate. I can see you with a Coon hat on sporting a Hawken.
10 September 2020, 17:28,
Sorry TH but defending the castle with a matchlock is not part of the overall plan.

As you know, things are different over here, which is why many "survivalists" from GB can not abide the "American" forums. Self defense provisions are build into our legal system and in the State where I live we also have a "stand your ground" law built into our "Castle Doctrine". We are allowed to defend both life and property with deadly force.

One of the reasons why you folks consider the "horde" an overwhelming mass and we refer to it as a "target rich environment".

BTW, I do have a Hawkin, 4 last count in several calibers from .30 to 54. Have a half dozen Kentucky style, ranging from 1750-1830 in flint and percussion. There's a couple of big bore muskets in the mix scattered about.

I love my black powder pistols too! I have an eccentric mix of those. They are a treat to shoot.

I do not discriminate against anything that goes BOOM! I just do not plan the defense strategy around all of them. I am too old to be caught at a disadvantage in the middle of a reload.
5 February 2021, 07:30,
(18 July 2020, 21:42)Mortblanc Wrote: I have developed arthritis in my left shoulder and can no longer effectively operate the pump shotguns I have used for a lifetime. At 70 this is not the kind of temporary pain that fades away.

i'm 72 but like to simply say to anybody who asks "I'm over 60"..Smile
Mentally i feel like I'm 18 no kidding, I write internet wargame aricles and tutorials under my fighting name 'Poor Old Spike', and regularly whup kiddies half my age in online games.
I used to be in a cycling club in my younger days and amazingly still have the same slim shape despite giving up all forms of exercise 20 years ago, and despite eating junk food by the truckload.
Healthwise I'm not too bad but my waterworks have been playing up recently, my doctor wanted me to have a cystoscopy but after reading up on it I opted out because it sounds too much like what aliens do to abductees..Wink

PS- When I watch "born survivors" like Bear Grylls and Ed Stafford on TV, I smugly think "Keep at it you blokes then perhaps in 25 years you'll have survived to your 70's like me and others"..Smile
5 February 2021, 11:26,
I'm in better health than some folks in their 50s and 60s, I'm retired but walk every day, cycle sometimes.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 February 2021, 22:09,
Big Grin  RE: Re-tired
Incidentally I've never smoked because breathing smoke seemed a bit insane and filthy to me; and I've never drank either; I tried a few sips in my early teens but it all tasted like cat pee and i've never touched it since except when some naughty women have tried to get me drunk at works parties and i've gone along with it to be a good sport and as an experiment.
As it took effect I noticed the earth's axis had taken on a pronounced tilt and i couldn't walk straight and began lurching around like Macbeth after drinking the witches brew.

https://youtu.be/5dw5hD1Jgs0

I also felt like i was wrapped up in cotton wool because my consciousness no longer extended out into the universe but had shrunk to within the confines of the room, so I was glad to have sobered up next day and got my brain back.

PS- My hard-drinking/hard-smoking Hell's Angel bro-in-law once half-jokingly said to me "Huh, you're not a man if you don't drink and smoke".
He died of cancer in his mid-sixties some years ago but I'm still around..
6 February 2021, 06:05,
Can't figure out why you want to be?

BTW, who got the BIL's bike?