Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating when the power is off.
31 October 2022, 23:43,
Heating when the power is off.
So we are faced with the potential of 3hr long power cuts, unlikely but just in case it's worth planning for. Afterall the grid will be maxed out with all the electric cars.
I think I might have a very simple method of providing heating. My central heating boiler transfers water to a storage tank upstairs, this tank is very well insulated and behind a wooden panel in the cupboard but if the door is left open and the panel plus insulating jacket removed it can heat the area for a while, it's a bit like a giant radiator with lots of water.
This is a very cheap option if you just want to provide a few degrees for a few hours.
(It's worth pointing out the central heating won't work without mains power driving the pump.)
1 November 2022, 09:05,
RE: Heating when the power is off.
not even gas central heating works when the power is off as the controls are electric.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2022, 21:50,
True BP but my suggestion is to use the existing heat already in the hot water storage tank. A lot of houses have this tank at the top of the stairs and if you open the door and remove the insulation jacket you have a fair amount of heat for a few hours. In fact we use the cupboard for storing laundry as it’s always warm.
I have other options but this might be a quick source of heat in a short duration power cut.
2 November 2022, 02:05,
A small battery powered fan might help disperse that warm air into the living space.

You did not say how many gallons of hot water you have on hand in the system.

Over here we still use "water heaters" that contain the hot water and keep it heated by thermostat. My own is a 120L tank and I keep it heated at 50c. I know from experience that it remains hot enough for a good hot shower for 24 hours after being separated from its electric power source.
2 November 2022, 08:32,
(1 November 2022, 21:50)Joe Wrote: True BP but my suggestion is to use the existing heat already in the hot water storage tank. A lot of houses have this tank at the top of the stairs and if you open the door and remove the insulation jacket you have a fair amount of heat for a few hours. In fact we use the cupboard for storing laundry as it’s always warm.
I have other options but this might be a quick source of heat in a short duration power cut.

we use the airing cupboard, where the hot water cylinder is, to dry washing.
of course once the power goes off the tank will go cold and stay cold.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 November 2022, 18:52,
Additionally a lot of people run this tank at a low temperature (50 deg C) in order to save energy but this tank can be increased all the way up to boiling point. I should add this can be pretty dangerous due to steam or water hammer effects but you can safely run around 70-80 deg C and this will provide a far higher heat storage.
Slightly off topic but don’t run the tank too low as you can breed very dangerous bacteria. In fact this will be a hazard in the future when they introduce air pumps etc.
4 November 2022, 09:40,
anyone who dosent have some sort of alternative heating will freeze this winter, like those people that live in all electric houses which is something the govt has been pushing for ages, they want everyone to be all electric including transport.
4 November 2022, 11:11,
Another heating option during rolling power cuts could be storage heaters.
Now the logic behind these devices is they run on a separate overnight tariff and therefore cheaper electricity supply and during the day they expel this heat and keep the house warm.
However you can run them on a standard mains supply and charge the heat up during the day then during the power cut you just open the flap and you have several hours of heat.
The down side is cost, you are looking at £500 for a good unit and for that type of cash you could buy a pretty good second hand generator.
4 November 2022, 11:13,
Add your heating ideas to the list.
4 November 2022, 11:31,
(4 November 2022, 11:11)Joe Wrote: Another heating option during rolling power cuts could be storage heaters.
Now the logic behind these devices is they run on a separate overnight tariff and therefore cheaper electricity supply and during the day they expel this heat and keep the house warm.
However you can run them on a standard mains supply and charge the heat up during the day then during the power cut you just open the flap and you have several hours of heat.
The down side is cost, you are looking at £500 for a good unit and for that type of cash you could buy a pretty good second hand generator.

we have storage heaters, they were here when we moved in, H.A. updated them about 5 years ago but we have never used them, they dont work as our life style needs, we bought a cast iron electric heater, thats our main heating, we have a convector heater in the hall if it gets really cold, if the power goes off we have a mobile gas heater.