Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
convert type fire
29 November 2011, 01:14, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2011, 01:20 by Nemesis.)
convert type fire
This type fire is more good for post shtf, security type covert fire, this is post I did on another forum some time back some might remember it.

[Image: Firewallbase.jpg]

[Image: Firehole.jpg]
Made a dakota fire hole to test the cooking power of it and also most important the stealth ability of them, shtf stealth can equal survival right.

Me and the kids made this around 2 am few Xmas ago it was -4/6 so the ground was really hard.

[Image: 2179qu.jpg]

Even though we did this in the back yard we used only the tools we would have had on us in the woods, other than a crowbar which we used to help drill the hole from pit to pit as it was frozen ground, but could replace that with strong branch from the woods.

[Image: 21klez9.jpg]

The two holes dug and joined

[Image: 1zeyz9i.jpg]
Threw in some wood we had laying about and got the fire going, and welcomed it was.

[Image: 2vljux1.jpg]

Set up the tripod and mess tin of water.

[Image: javsi8.jpg]

Shot of the fire from the other pit

[Image: fjd9vt.jpg]

Ok pics not in order but yeh was burning down the wood to get the coals glowing.

[Image: 2cdevrs.jpg]

Boiling the water now, my boy was making a reflector/windbreaker/stealth cover.

[Image: 28in341.jpg]
Ok time to turn off the camera flash and show you what these fires look like in the dark.

[Image: 1zxkx9i.jpg]

As you can see you’re not get very warm sitting around one of these fires, but they are for cooking and purifying water and drying clothes, I guess you could heat a few rocks to place in your sleep area?

[Image: 11btct5.jpg]

All this effort was for this last pic as you can see this is quite a good stealth fire, I was about my truck and at the time large car away from the pit when I took this pic, so shtf good fire to know how to make and even if you’re like me a trespass bush crafter/prepper then good fire in everyday life when out.

[Image: 2jclep.jpg]
29 November 2011, 12:25, (This post was last modified: 29 November 2011, 12:26 by Skean Dhude.)
RE: convert type fire
Excellent article. When I read the title though for some reason a SMG popped intomy head. Smile
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
29 November 2011, 17:39,
great article. That looks like a lot of work, what advantage do you getting making this kind of fire rather than a pit fire?
29 November 2011, 18:27,
(29 November 2011, 17:39)preservefreak Wrote: great article. That looks like a lot of work, what advantage do you getting making this kind of fire rather than a pit fire?

Welcome preservefreak,

Fire pit can be easy spotted from air be it helicopter/plane or someone at higher ground cliff/treetop then you and your fire, I would also suggest the dakota fire hole would use less fuel and could be covered quite fast and leave less trace, it is really an underground fire, I say again more covert, I never really questioned myself on dakota fire hole vs. fire pit I don't see them as same type fires tbh, unless there is a more covert type fire pit that I have yet to learn?
9 April 2012, 09:26,
I really like those! That's going to be a big part of my new skillset! Will be using that loads.

Thank for the post.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
9 April 2012, 21:26,
shoul try making a fire with a bowdrill or hand drill

b/d
10 April 2012, 00:00,
(9 April 2012, 21:26)bowdrill Wrote: shoul try making a fire with a bowdrill or hand drill

b/d

How long I have told myself I must learn this, I have seen it many many differnt ways but yet I fail myself in doing this, there is always something else in the way.

10 April 2012, 11:42,
Personally I prefer using a fire steel or my trusty Zippo.
Both work well in the cold and damp with a lot less effort.

10 April 2012, 12:05,
(10 April 2012, 11:42)Paul Wrote: Personally I prefer using a fire steel or my trusty Zippo.
Both work well in the cold and damp with a lot less effort.

Yeah, damn right!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin