Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Colony
22 April 2012, 11:56,
RE: Colony
(21 April 2012, 22:46)Tonka Wrote: I am wondering why the emphasis is on going to an area of low population?

That's a fair comment.

The simple reason is best explained like this. If you're not prepared and the area you live in is uninhabitable (gang violence, disease, it's called London, or whatever) then you're going to leave. When you leave, you'll have nothing and will be needing everything. Now consider this.....you've got nothing, and you have hungry children....what would you do to feed them? I'm guessing you'd break into my house near the city and take my food? Now, if I tried to get in your way, would you have a problem killing me to get to my food to feed your family? I'm guessing not.

If you're far enough away from high population areas, that greatly reduces the risk of people coming after what you've got.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 April 2012, 14:10,
(22 April 2012, 11:56)Scythe13 Wrote:
(21 April 2012, 22:46)Tonka Wrote: I am wondering why the emphasis is on going to an area of low population?

That's a fair comment.

The simple reason is best explained like this. If you're not prepared and the area you live in is uninhabitable (gang violence, disease, it's called London, or whatever) then you're going to leave. When you leave, you'll have nothing and will be needing everything. Now consider this.....you've got nothing, and you have hungry children....what would you do to feed them? I'm guessing you'd break into my house near the city and take my food? Now, if I tried to get in your way, would you have a problem killing me to get to my food to feed your family? I'm guessing not.

If you're far enough away from high population areas, that greatly reduces the risk of people coming after what you've got.
that is so true, even in a small population area like here, unless there is a huge die off, it leaves too many people who havent prepared, cold and starving, for me to deal with, so we'll be bugging out!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2012, 19:56, (This post was last modified: 22 April 2012, 20:39 by Tonka.)
[/quote]
That's a fair comment.

The simple reason is best explained like this. If you're not prepared and the area you live in is uninhabitable (gang violence, disease, it's called London, or whatever) then you're going to leave.
[/quote]

I think the time has already come to want to escape London Wink
I took a 50% pay cut in order to escape our beloved capital.

Yes. I think it depends on exactly what it is you are dealing with.
I don't think that every crisis will result in the entire rest of society (or what was society) suddenly becoming my enemy. Other people can be useful. And believe it or not, I would want to help those that didn't prepare... up to a point. "I told you so" loses it's fun when your neighbours are dying of thirst. And it's good motivation for a labour force to build a cracking solar still.

But I agree that I certainly want to also make plans for when the armed gangs are after my sacks of brown rice!

(18 April 2012, 14:05)John Wrote: Every year in Devon and Somerset we rehearse the scenario of a large number of displaced persons flooding into the county, clogging all major roads and putting amassive strain on the counties resources, it’s called:

“THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS”.

Well, tomorrow I'm off on holiday... to Somerset! So you'd better start rehersing Wink
23 April 2012, 10:49,
That's a fair comment.

The simple reason is best explained like this. If you're not prepared and the area you live in is uninhabitable (gang violence, disease, it's called London, or whatever) then you're going to leave.
[/quote]

I think the time has already come to want to escape London Wink
I took a 50% pay cut in order to escape our beloved capital.

Yes. I think it depends on exactly what it is you are dealing with.
I don't think that every crisis will result in the entire rest of society (or what was society) suddenly becoming my enemy. Other people can be useful. And believe it or not, I would want to help those that didn't prepare... up to a point. "I told you so" loses it's fun when your neighbours are dying of thirst. And it's good motivation for a labour force to build a cracking solar still.

But I agree that I certainly want to also make plans for when the armed gangs are after my sacks of brown rice!

(18 April 2012, 14:05)John Wrote: Every year in Devon and Somerset we rehearse the scenario of a large number of displaced persons flooding into the county, clogging all major roads and putting amassive strain on the counties resources, it’s called:

“THE SUMMER HOLIDAYS”.

Well, tomorrow I'm off on holiday... to Somerset! So you'd better start rehersing Wink

[/quote]
better bring your weatherproofs, its bucketing down and its forcast for the rest of the week!Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 April 2012, 17:35,
OK so we have set up a colony we have supplies, skill sets and have started planting or the next harvest. Do we then asume that EVERY unprepared person who comes to us is a threat? if we turned everyone away then we would very quickly create enemies and then we would have a a hoarde/mob of hungry and hopeless people attacking us for the resouces we have so maticulously planned, Then its all over, We would need o be in a position where we could build a further community around what we have put together,

Give people who are hopeless something to hold on to and something worth defending and the group of 10-15 people would be in he shit very quickly, At he begining of the afghanistan conflict brittish and american troops went into communities no bigger than what we are talking about and got torn apart, with all the UAVs and a supply chin longer than we could ever invision and they were (and in some places still are) getting pushed back by a community mallitia.

The thought that we should fear a few rough arses who think that tere version of perparing is to stockpile weapons and come and muscle what they want from people i believe is wrong and I think this dsscussion should be more of dealing with the refugees from the urban areas who are desperate. I am not saying we put up a banner saying free food and shelter here we still maintain a low pofile but we try and incorperate those who stumble upon us seeking food.
23 April 2012, 17:55,
(23 April 2012, 17:35)Reaper_of_sorrow Wrote: Do we then asume that EVERY unprepared person who comes to us is a threat?

YES - UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE , REGULAR PATROLS WITH STRICT RULES OF ENGAGEMENT CAN 'VET' THESE PEOPLE BEFORE THEY GET NEAR US.

if we turned everyone away then we would very quickly create enemies and then we would have a a hoarde/mob of hungry and hopeless people attacking us for the resouces we have so maticulously planned, Then its all over, We would need o be in a position where we could build a further community around what we have put together.

THE PATROLS STANDING ORDERS WOULD BE TO 'USHER' PEOPLE IN CERTAIN DIRECTIONS , IF DONE CORRECTLY , NOBODY WOULD WANT TO COME BACK NEAR US.

Give people who are hopeless something to hold on to and something worth defending and the group of 10-15 people would be in he shit very quickly, At he begining of the afghanistan conflict brittish and american troops went into communities no bigger than what we are talking about and got torn apart, with all the UAVs and a supply chin longer than we could ever invision and they were (and in some places still are) getting pushed back by a community mallitia.

OUR ARMED FORCES ARE IN THAT CONFLICT YET AGAIN WITH THEIR HANDS TIED BEHIND THEIR BACKS.
AS THEY WERE IN ULSTER TOO - THE TROOPS ON THE GROUND COULD PROBABLY END THE CONFLICT WITHIN THE WEEK IF GIVEN THE GREEN LIGHT TO HIT ALL SUSPECTS , TOO MUCH POLITICAL INTERFERENCE ENSURES THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN.
DO NOT BE FOOLED INTO THINKING THAT THESE SMALL COMMUNITIES ARE 'TEARING APART' SOME OF THE BEST FIGHTING MEN AND WOMAN ON THE PLANET , TROOPS HAVE RULES OF ENGAGEMENT -THE 'LOCALS' DONT.

The thought that we should fear a few rough arses who think that tere version of perparing is to stockpile weapons and come and muscle what they want from people i believe is wrong and I think this dsscussion should be more of dealing with the refugees from the urban areas who are desperate. I am not saying we put up a banner saying free food and shelter here we still maintain a low pofile but we try and incorperate those who stumble upon us seeking food.

SO WHEN THOSE REFUGEES , WHO HAVE FAILED TO INTEGRATE ,AND WHO YOU ARE HELPING TO SURVIVE - BETRAY US FOR BROWNIE POINTS TO AN AGGRESSOR GANG THAT ARE ARMED AND VERY DANGEROUS.
WHAT DO WE DO ?

Silly to think otherwise in my opinion.

There has to be some friction between the members of any colony , especially to newer incomers.
Any stragglers must be first vetted to see if they have any skills that we need , and if not - sent on their ( opposite ) way.

The colony will quickly become a refugee camp otherwise.
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
23 April 2012, 17:57,
Reaper,

No. IMO you treat everyone as you would wish to be treated yourself. Kindly but with care. If they try and steal then fix that but if they want to trade do what you can. They may have little, labour can be exchanged. We cannot give anything away. We don't have access to other peoples stuff.

At the same time you need to not be seen as a pushover and you need to maintain OPSEC with those who approach.

It isn't impossible. We will get it wrong and we will be seen as selfish.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 April 2012, 08:50,
what if you only had supplies for you and yours? any food you give to those who come begging lessens what you have for your own people! so do you give to others and maybe starve yourself or do you tell them to "Bu##er OFF!"
24 April 2012, 12:05,
BP,

Well its not you telling them to bugger off but explaining that you are no different from them. Suggest somewhere a few miles away and send them on their way. If you have anything at all, and you should or you will soon be in trouble yourself, then a small meal will go a long way. From what I understand of your location you will get few visitors anyway.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 April 2012, 13:27,
(24 April 2012, 12:05)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP,

Well its not you telling them to bugger off but explaining that you are no different from them. Suggest somewhere a few miles away and send them on their way. If you have anything at all, and you should or you will soon be in trouble yourself, then a small meal will go a long way. From what I understand of your location you will get few visitors anyway.
i like the idea of giving them a small meal and sending on their way. like you say my BOL is in a location that dosent get many visitors NOW( which is why i chose it) and it will have even less visitors post SHTF.