Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sanitation & Hygiene
19 November 2011, 19:57, (This post was last modified: 19 November 2011, 20:02 by Nemesis.)
Sanitation & Hygiene
Military Guidelines For Field Sanitation & Hygiene

Latrines must be located at least 100 meters from unit messes and at least 100 meters from any water source.

*Garbage must be buried at least 100 feet from any water source.

Keep in mind, this is for large parties and amounts of waste. For smaller parties, personal cat holes and burial of personal trash should suffice if common sense is applied.

Some other things to keep in mind for planning:

* Plan for garbage/rubbish disposal by burial or incineration.

* Plan for liquid waste disposal. Use soakage pits/soakage trenches.

* Plan for body waste disposal. Use cat-hole latrine for marches, straddle trench for 1-3 day bivouac sites, deep pit latrine for temporary camps, burn-out latrines and soakage pits for urinals.

Fig1-cat-hole latrine: Fig2-straddle trench

[Image: 14d1tol.jpg]
Deep Pit Latrines. The deep pit latrine is used with a latrine box placed overit. The standard type box provides four seats and is 8 feet long and 2 1/2 feet wide atthe base. A unit of 100 men requires 8 feet of latrine space, or one 4-seat latrine box(see Figure 3-3). The holes should be covered with flyproof, self-closing lids.

All cracksshould be flyproofed with strips of wood or tin nailed over them. A metal deflectorshould be placed inside the front of the box to prevent urine from soaking into the wood.The deflector may be made with flattened cans.

[Image: wsry1k.jpg]

Construction. The pit is dug 2 feet wide and 7 1/2 feet long. This willgive the latrine box 3 inches of support on all sides. The depth of the pit will depend onthe estimated length of time the latrine is to be used. As a rough guide, a depth of onefoot is allowed for each week of estimated use, plus one foot of depth for the dirt cover,when closed. Generally, it is not desirable to dig the pit more than 6 feet deep becausethe walls might cave in.

Rock or high ground water levels often limit the depth of the pit.In some types of soil, a support of planking or other material for the sides may benecessary to prevent wall cave-ins. Earth should be packed tightly around the bottomedges of the box so as to seal any openings through which flies might gain entrance.

I just found a lot of information on this subject while looking for a Deep Pit Latrines picture, so I am going to add that info here as well, as it will save me looking all over for pics and stuff, so I will stop this now and start over.
19 November 2011, 20:47,
RE: Sanitation & Hygiene
A picture is worth 1000 words.

It is easier to show than to explain.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 November 2011, 20:55,
(19 November 2011, 20:47)Skean Dhude Wrote: A picture is worth 1000 words.

It is easier to show than to explain.

I feel the same way I try to add pics to most of my threads.

Thanks for the help with my membership to this forum.
20 November 2011, 09:55,
sister-in-law who was a nurse said 75% of nursing staff are carriers of MRSA!!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 November 2011, 11:29,
Hospitals are not good places for anyone. Avoid if you are healthy at all costs.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 November 2011, 18:13,
"hospitals are not places to be if you are ill"-maybe they should have a sign on the door saying this.Tongue
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 November 2011, 18:42,
My missus is a very highly qualified and experienced nurse of 35 years service and she hates the way the NHS is set up these days, Thousands of graduate nurses who think they no longer should have to clean or feed patients or make beds or tidy up, it drives her mad. Also if any of our families kids are admitted she makes me stand at the door to the kids room and makes me ensure than anyone who enters washes their hands first.

She showed me pictures of patients who had lost limbs to MRSA, C diff etc no one gets past me at the door to our kids room. Our hospitals are filthy, but I dont know about where you folks live but my missus again says many of her wards are full of self inflicted disease ridden druggies and alcs who cost the service a fortune, and are often violent to the staff and bring in loads of self inflicted diseases on their bodies.

21 November 2011, 13:05,
(20 November 2011, 18:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: My missus is a very highly qualified and experienced nurse of 35 years service and she hates the way the NHS is set up these days, Thousands of graduate nurses who think they no longer should have to clean or feed patients or make beds or tidy up, it drives her mad. Also if any of our families kids are admitted she makes me stand at the door to the kids room and makes me ensure than anyone who enters washes their hands first.

She showed me pictures of patients who had lost limbs to MRSA, C diff etc no one gets past me at the door to our kids room. Our hospitals are filthy, but I dont know about where you folks live but my missus again says many of her wards are full of self inflicted disease ridden druggies and alcs who cost the service a fortune, and are often violent to the staff and bring in loads of self inflicted diseases on their bodies.
i agree with every single word you have written NR!!!
21 November 2011, 18:04,
It'll be changing soon. I doubt it will get back to the days where we had Matrons and they were nuked with stelising fluid but it can't stay the way it is.
Skean Dhude
22 June 2012, 00:55,
(20 November 2011, 18:42)NorthernRaider Wrote: My missus is a very highly qualified and experienced nurse of 35 years service and she hates the way the NHS is set up these days, Thousands of graduate nurses who think they no longer should have to clean or feed patients or make beds or tidy up, it drives her mad. Also if any of our families kids are admitted she makes me stand at the door to the kids room and makes me ensure than anyone who enters washes their hands first.

This is so true MRSA didn't even exist in the 70's and early 80's my aunt is qualified midwife and nurse for 40 years and in the 70's early 80's they weren't allowed to wear their uniform in public or take it home. When they finished working it was placed in laundry bin and the hospital washed/sanitised their uniform. that way infection was down to minimum. - There are many nurses /doctors that have VERY poor hygiene and bring in ALOT of bacteria into the ward.

My hubby was in hospital for pneumonia and when he was admitted I went in with a pack of dettol wipes and wiped every single thing, including the bed railings buttons etc and I did this every single day. I bought him breakfast, lunch and dinner and I sponge bathed him every day in the hospital. My aunt and I checked his med schedule every day (because 1st day they missed doses of meds and his fever was going sky high). He was out within a week. By then the nurses truly hated me!

But during this week - I noticed that not once did any of the nurses offer any of the patients including my hubby, assistance to sponge or shower, they were moping with water and half the floor wasn't moped and they used the same damp cloth to wipe 12 patients food tray. You can easily see how bacteria can breed in a hospital and those poor patients that had no family coming to assist them were getting worse as the week went on.

One poor patient (next to my hubby) kept wetting himself because none of the nurses came when he called - I even went to tell off some of them to try and assist the gentleman, I felt really sorry for him and everyday I visited hubby I always ask him if he needed anything so I could try and assist him. - I grew up seeing how the NHS was and now most of the nurses either don't care or are too overworked to care. In fairness the head nurse had 3 wards to deal with - its alot when your working 12/16 hours. and 2 very lazy nurses who didn't want to be bothered with anything except gossiping and being irrated at seeing me 3 times a day!