Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympics and PMR446
27 July 2012, 10:15,
Olympics and PMR446
Hi All,

This is addressed to any of our crew who are based in the London area, and especially any who are near to the major venues:

Please could you break out your PMR446 radios and have a listen to hear how much activity there is on the 8 official channels, and post a report back here?

The reason for asking is thatthis is an ideal time to see how much radio traffic there is when there are a lot of family groups together out in the open, exactly as per immediately after a SHTF grid down event.

Thanks in advance

Lightspeed.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 10:24, (This post was last modified: 27 July 2012, 10:25 by 00111001.)
RE: Olympics and PMR446
There's not much going on in Newbury, but I can fire up the PMR and the UV-5R and see if there's much happening.

I know that there's restriction in place on the 70cm band during the olympics (or is it 2m?)
Bugger, didn't read that properly, sorry. Nowhere near London
27 July 2012, 10:33,
(27 July 2012, 10:24)00111001 Wrote: There's not much going on in Newbury, but I can fire up the PMR and the UV-5R and see if there's much happening.

I know that there's restriction in place on the 70cm band during the olympics (or is it 2m?)

I think there's a restriction on PMR446 at events too, but how are they going to police it?

Thanks for your support BTW

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 10:35, (This post was last modified: 27 July 2012, 10:39 by 00111001.)
(27 July 2012, 10:33)Lightspeed Wrote:
(27 July 2012, 10:24)00111001 Wrote: There's not much going on in Newbury, but I can fire up the PMR and the UV-5R and see if there's much happening.

I think there's a restriction on PMR446 at events too, but how are they going to police it?

Thanks for your support BTW

LS

It's almost impossible isn't it? I don't see how they can restrict which channels your radio is set to. Unless they just lock them out somehow?

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binarie...tement.pdf

Checkout section 4
27 July 2012, 12:07,
great thinking LS this is a great time to test out how busy those airwaves be!
27 July 2012, 12:11,
I went to my dad’s Wednesdays and a whole canal has been closed down to the public, and I am talking huge area mass they have created one entrance which is manned 24/7 a stop check point, police present is large just driving around said area, there was army there already in place, this is all just for canoe event.

My parents have had to apply for a permit just to get into their own street by car.

I would not be surprised if they could block these signals, a jammer for said area or to james bond? But anyway they are not holding back funds to police this Olympics because this must be costing a fortune.

Sorry I don’t have PMR466 I think maybe I should get these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BaoFeng-UV-5R-...6rk%3D3%26
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
27 July 2012, 12:17,
(27 July 2012, 12:11)WetandCold Wrote: I went to my dad’s Wednesdays and a whole canal has been closed down to the public, and I am talking huge area mass they have created one entrance which is manned 24/7 a stop check point, police present is large just driving around said area, there was army there already in place, this is all just for canoe event.

My parents have had to apply for a permit just to get into their own street by car.

I would not be surprised if they could block these signals, a jammer for said area or to james bond? But anyway they are not holding back funds to police this Olympics because this must be costing a fortune.

Technically, jamming a signal is illegal in the UK. They do it in prisons, some workaround there as it's owned by her majesty.

I've got the UV-5R. If you do get one, order it from Sinotel (they're on ebay too) I got mine in no time, and all of the UK repeaters had been pre-programmed for me, so no need to buy the programming cable (which you will need if you have to program it yourself)
27 July 2012, 12:54, (This post was last modified: 27 July 2012, 12:58 by Lightspeed.)
(27 July 2012, 12:11)WetandCold Wrote: I went to my dad’s Wednesdays and a whole canal has been closed down to the public, and I am talking huge area mass they have created one entrance which is manned 24/7 a stop check point, police present is large just driving around said area, there was army there already in place, this is all just for canoe event.

Hi W&C the UV 5r will certainly work on the PMR frequencies. Excellent bang for buck too.
(27 July 2012, 12:17)00111001 Wrote:

Technically, jamming a signal is illegal in the UK. They do it in prisons, some workaround there as it's owned by her majesty.

I've got the UV-5R. If you do get one, order it from Sinotel (they're on ebay too) I got mine in no time, and all of the UK repeaters had been pre-programmed for me, so no need to buy the programming cable (which you will need if you have to program it yourself)

Good point about the programming cable and software. If they are available at low cost as add ons, it will be worthwhile getting them. Once SD has the download section of this site set up we'll be able to share standard frequency programming configurations between us as simple file downloads. You'll need the software and cable to be able to opload the configuratons into the rig....it can be done manually but that's excessively time consuming pre SHTF.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

27 July 2012, 13:51,
Why are they restricting PMR446?
Do they want to use them themselves to coordinate the games or are they afraid they'll be used to coordinate some sort of disruption?
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
27 July 2012, 14:02,
(27 July 2012, 12:54)Lightspeed Wrote:

Hi W&C the UV 5r will certainly work on the PMR frequencies. Excellent bang for buck too.
(27 July 2012, 12:17)00111001 Wrote:

Good point about the programming cable and software. If they are available at low cost as add ons, it will be worthwhile getting them. Once SD has the download section of this site set up we'll be able to share standard frequency programming configurations between us as simple file downloads. You'll need the software and cable to be able to opload the configuratons into the rig....it can be done manually but that's excessively time consuming pre SHTF.

Check out the yahoo UV-5R group - they have the downloads there already. Helpful group too.