Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LS Advice again please
31 July 2012, 09:43, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2012, 09:43 by NorthernRaider.)
LS Advice again please
Again please forgive my ignorance, could you watch this brief but very informative You Tube vid about modding my H520.

Is it in your opinion worth doing now?

I'm not sure excactly what they mean if its modified and set on PO ( poland) will it STILL work on UK and CEPT as well as 11 meters ?

Thanks NR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ivjDQg8Tg

31 July 2012, 10:05,
RE: LS Advice again please
(31 July 2012, 09:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: Again please forgive my ignorance, could you watch this brief but very informative You Tube vid about modding my H520.

Is it in your opinion worth doing now?

I'm not sure excactly what they mean if its modified and set on PO ( poland) will it STILL work on UK and CEPT as well as 11 meters ?

Thanks NR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ivjDQg8Tg

NR

Can I refer this o Paul for a comment.

My view is that we must establish robust operating protocols for the basic UK 27/81 standard FM frequencies.

The additional frequency channels that this radio is capable of will be most usable in semi-private group working.

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 10:17,
Yup , over to Paul. Smile

31 July 2012, 17:42,
Yo NR.
Firstly the mod does work. full marks for utube.
The "rubber duck" aerial can't cope with the full spectrum of frequencies anyway.
THat means you'll be transmitting badly on a lot of the channels ergo poor range.
IMO the modulation shouldn't be adjusted though. It hurts the ears listening to it if set too high.
I'm pretty sure it causes a lot of channel spill too if you yell into the mic. That could also cause a lot of television interference. Not a good thing.

The car kit allowed me to use a 2.5 m magmounted aerial (firestick) but as there is no SSB, it's pretty useless having all those channels to play with.

Yes it will still work on the UK and EU CEPT bands.

I unlocked one for a ham. He spent more time with his eyes on a frequency list than actually using it. And there is the problem in a nutshell. What on earth do you need all them channels for?

Come SHTF time, everyone in the UK will be using:
UK Channel 9 FM to transmit my calls for help.
UK Channel 19 FM to look for other users.

If everything is quiet, I'll also be using EU (CEPT) channel 9 & 19 as above in AM & FM.

I'll have 80 channels to play with (without the mod) but most others will be using 2-6 channels at the most.

You've got 8 memory channels so that's UK 9 & 19, EU 9 & 19 in AM & FM with two spare holes.
One would be my home, the other . . . .well could be used for anything really.

Not being funny but if the world goes bad, 400 channels is a heck of a lot of wasted time when the rest of the world is only using 6.

Now if it could be modified for SSB use, that's another story!!!!!!!!!!!

31 July 2012, 17:56,
OK Paul, I appreciate your feedback.

I like the option of expanding the channels primarily cos the rig then does 10 and 11 meter duty IE its CB and Ham and after TSHTF I will defo want to access the ham burgers.

So once again I'm looking for a rig that has MORE than 4 watts, I can be happy with 80 channels but I want AM and FM, and prefably side band if the rest of the loon..... erm members decide SB is neccessary.

I bet you buggers could find an 80 channel CB EU / UK AM /FM unit that carries PMR 446 as well with a sensible 10 watts at least ?

31 July 2012, 18:05, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2012, 18:42 by Paul.)
p.s. for all you circuit buffs, RV 702 ups the AM modulation, RV701 ups the FM modulation. Not mentioned in the utube brief. THere again who on earth would DX on FM?
(31 July 2012, 17:56)NorthernRaider Wrote: OK Paul, I appreciate your feedback.

I like the option of expanding the channels primarily cos the rig then does 10 and 11 meter duty IE its CB and Ham and after TSHTF I will defo want to access the ham burgers.

So once again I'm looking for a rig that has MORE than 4 watts, I can be happy with 80 channels but I want AM and FM, and prefably side band if the rest of the loon..... erm members decide SB is neccessary.

I bet you buggers could find an 80 channel CB EU / UK AM /FM unit that carries PMR 446 as well with a sensible 10 watts at least ?

If you wait patiently NR there are already AM/FM/SSB sets for sale in Europe. They can be shipped here.
To what end though? OFCOM won't licence them, ever.
They're too scared to upset the ham world.
Looks like you'll have to learn bacon (Whoops) ham NR if you want to play with POWER legally.
You're handheld could be plugged into a burner but it's not terribly good idea.
At home, do you have a big aerial to plug your handheld into?
4 watts can travel a long way provided your aerial is high up and well tuned.

31 July 2012, 19:13,
I think the distinction needs to be made whether we are talking about using . overpowered multiband transceivers after society drops out or as using it as a regular comms device - right now in the present.....

One thing that needs to be made clear is - if we can pinpoint an all singing all dancing more powerful multiband transceiver can we alter the firmware of the device by using software - to enable only 4W on the UKFM freqs ?
...and alternatively - allow full power elsewhere.

This would enable us to use the transceiver as an everyday UK and euro compatible transceiver - with the ability to reach HAM with more power allocated to those freqs ?

On mobile phones that I've 'flashed' all sorts of new options sometimes become available , I've never 'unlocked' a transceiver before, so I don't know what - typically - it allows you to change , is it a basic freq unlock or can you alter other things like I mentioned previously ?
Trying very hard not to be paranoid.....and it aint getting easier.
31 July 2012, 20:14,
Yes, and sometimes yes TLN.

The distinction for me about what gear to use is pretty basic just like prepping is to me.

Prepping for me is a short term goal to survive long enough to allow me to survive some more.

The point is there used to be 4 million CB users in the UK. Now? Probably less than 200,000 active users IF THAT.
Those who are still using CB's will be using basic no frills radios (rigs). The protocols will be the same as ever. One or two main calling channels. No fuss, no frills. Channel 9 or 19.

Imagine also if TSHTF and Joe public broke into a shop to get hold of a radio to call for help.

What would Joe public be looking for?
A HF/VHF 10m multimode transceiver with 100 watts of SSB power and a quad beam yagi?
Or a box with a CB set and a magmount aerial, an all in one kit?
A quick read of the 2 or 3 page instruction leaflet and they can set something up in their scavaged car.
THe multimode? Unlikely.

Call me stupid but that's why I'm literally sticking with "box standard".
I may just hear joe public splutter out a call for help on channel 9 as that's probably what was written in the user manual.
What I will know is he or she is close.
To me that received call may save my life.

Anything more than that is too high a goal for me.

31 July 2012, 20:23, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2012, 20:36 by Lightspeed.)
(31 July 2012, 17:56)NorthernRaider Wrote: OK Paul, I appreciate your feedback.

NR Any hams left after TSHTF will probably be working SSB and those using FM will be on 2m and 70cms

There will be very little activity on 10meters FM

400 channels is a huge number to scan through looking for activity.

(31 July 2012, 20:14)Paul Wrote: Yes, and sometimes yes TLN.

The distinction for me about what gear to use is pretty basic just like prepping is to me.

Prepping for me is a short term goal to survive long enough to allow me to survive some more.

The point is there used to be 4 million CB users in the UK. Now? Probably less than 200,000 active users IF THAT.
Those who are still using CB's will be using basic no frills radios (rigs). The protocols will be the same as ever. One or two main calling channels. No fuss, no frills. Channel 9 or 19.

Imagine also if TSHTF and Joe public broke into a shop to get hold of a radio to call for help.

What would Joe public be looking for?
A HF/VHF 10m multimode transceiver with 100 watts of SSB power and a quad beam yagi?
Or a box with a CB set and a magmount aerial, an all in one kit?
A quick read of the 2 or 3 page instruction leaflet and they can set something up in their scavaged car.
THe multimode? Unlikely.

Call me stupid but that's why I'm literally sticking with "box standard".
I may just hear joe public splutter out a call for help on channel 9 as that's probably what was written in the user manual.
What I will know is he or she is close.
To me that received call may save my life.

Anything more than that is too high a goal for me.

I'm with Paul on this keeping it simple and using the UK 27/81 standard channels will ensure the maximum possible number of CB stations can hear you.

But yes there are multimode CBs in the market that cover the 27/81 standandard and a good number of european channels and Ham 10 meter channels as well. Rigs like the Anytone AT5555 do this, cover AM, FM, SSB and CW. They kick our 10w? FM and 21wSSB. They are able to be channel configured using software connected via a USB cable to your PC. So this kind of fits what you are asking about I think? I've never used one myself, but they look interesting.

To end this reply as I started, I have just ordered a base level Maas FM Only CB from Truck king for 39 quid plus shipping. Its basic UK 80 channels including 27/81, and can be user configured to any of the European Channel sets. Why did I order this? because I want something simple, reliable and connectabe to a maximum number of other stations.

Hope this helps rather than confuses???

LS
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 July 2012, 20:37, (This post was last modified: 31 July 2012, 20:57 by NorthernRaider.)
(31 July 2012, 19:13)The Local Ned Wrote: I think the distinction needs to be made whether we are talking about using . overpowered multiband transceivers after society drops out or as using it as a regular comms device - right now in the present.....

Question, and its a genuine one, Why would we need overpowered multi ban transcievers NOW ??, We have phones, E mail, faxes, Internet etc.
It when the networks fail that will be the time we need the dogs doodles of kit isnt it ?

If we can get EU / UK compliant CBs NOW,that can be tweeked or unlocked WHEN TSHTF must surely be the sensible route / (i'm asking not telling BTW )

Our Hamburgers are apparently now advising is to forget 28 to 30 MHZ and stick with 26 to 28 Mhz AM and FM, Plus PMR 446.

C'mon there must be one hand held unit that does UK /EU 27 FM and AM with PMR 446 in it? and that should suffice for most uses cept bloody long range stuff.

If I understand my learned chums properly 4 watts AM and FM on 26-28 MHZ piped through a big twig on my roof should give me the 15 miles I need to cover my AOO ? Yes ? No ?
LS the soldier in me is screaming " ONE RADIO" not a collection for different jobs Smile, Its one of the oldest demands the military calls for, one tool that will do multiple roles, and in the prepper world MONEY must also be a consideration. One radio with one or two aerials covering those essential frequencies you say we need

27 Mhz UK
27 Mhz EU
PMR 446

OK, but I think strategically not radiologically that the less radios we have and the more portable they are the better, So one type of mobile for foot patrol / reccing, and one for vehiocle mounting / home base, that has to be feasable?
Paul I agree less is more, A good basic sensible and affordable, easy to use radio is ideal, I can see and accept both your and LS's advice on sticking with 40 UK 40 EU 4 watt ( though I would prefer 10 watt), and I also agree with the PMR 446 if neccesary ( but not .5 watt)

But I think think most preppers want multiple radios for different duties, if we are going to adopt PMR 446 for short range stuff it should be incorporated into the basic CB units , doncha think?
Had a look at the Anytone 5555 its to bloody big for anything cept a home base station, i want somefink like a small CB unit that will do the 80 CB and the PMR 446.