Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Skinning
14 January 2013, 18:48,
Skinning
Ok,... so you have bought your Gun or Crossbow, you have gone out and brought down your first kill,... do you know what to do next?

You dont want to waste any part of it, so you need to skin it without making holes in it, so you can use the skin for something else

I feed my dogs on Venison, so I have to skin the deer,...this is for those who might not know how,.. I know its done in my carport,.. but... no different to on the hill

Start by gutting, and then removing the heart, kidneys, and lungs clean the inside, remove the head, and the feet, then you are ready

Start by sliceing up the leg, you will find it easy once the knife is in as there is a far gap between the skin and the muscle,..cut up to the very top of the leg,.. you will need to do this with all four legs, unless you shot a three legged deer

[Image: _1140027.jpg]

pull at the skin, and or gently use the blade to pull away the skin, its doesnt come away as easy as a rabbit skin does, you will need to use the blade a little

[Image: _1140028.jpg]

Continue the same way around the body, the flank of the deer is a lot easier as you will find that you can pull at the skin more and use the blade less,... [ the blisters you see in this shot, is the result of a fly that the deer get at this time of the year, they simply live under the skin but do not touch the meat]

[Image: _1140029.jpg]

....and eventualy you should end up with a carcus that looks like this,... because this skin was puntured by the fly, the skin would be no good for clothes,... the next time [if there is no fly ] I will show the skin and what to do with it

[Image: _1140030.jpg]
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 January 2013, 19:02,
RE: Skinning
Very good post, I understand the basics of how to skin a deer but having hands on expierence would be a lot better

Nice post,thanks for uploading
14 January 2013, 20:20,
nice post but feed your dogs venison ??? lucky buggers lol mine gets the scraps Smile

bd
14 January 2013, 20:21,
(14 January 2013, 19:02)Metroyeti Wrote: Very good post, I understand the basics of how to skin a deer but having hands on expierence would be a lot better

Nice post,thanks for uploading

maybe ask you butcher to get some head shot rabbits with the skins and guts in and practise on them about £2.00 to £3.00 each
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 January 2013, 17:50,
(14 January 2013, 20:21)Barneyboy Wrote: maybe ask you butcher to get some head shot rabbits with the skins and guts in and practise on them about £2.00 to £3.00 each

I wish I could get rabbit,... we dont have rabbit here,.. nor Grey Squirels
15 January 2013, 20:45,
(15 January 2013, 17:50)Highlander Wrote:
(14 January 2013, 20:21)Barneyboy Wrote: maybe ask you butcher to get some head shot rabbits with the skins and guts in and practise on them about £2.00 to £3.00 each

I wish I could get rabbit,... we dont have rabbit here,.. nor Grey Squirels

you dont have any rabbits is that true ,we are triping over the little furry fuckersSmile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 January 2013, 21:11,
(15 January 2013, 20:45)Barneyboy Wrote: you dont have any rabbits is that true ,we are triping over the little furry fuckersSmile

Well `almost` true,... the village about four miles down the road has a few, they have grass rabbits prefer like the short grass on the sports field,.. but outside of the village, on the hills around here, there arnt any,...at least I have never seen a single one,..and I walk my dogs on those hills every day, I guess the grass is far to long and coarse for them

I have heard that there are a few on Arisaig golf course, about 10 miles away..again short grass,... but generaly we dont have a lot of manacured grass up here
2 April 2013, 10:38,
Nice post. As an airgunner it's still relavent to me, just a tad bigger than the rabbits I get. Sorry Highlander, not rubbing your nose in it. We don't have an awful lot here either. I think our soil is too clay for them. But plenty pidgeons and rabbits not too far away.
Mar sin leat
2 April 2013, 11:22,
much appreciated post, the pictures are first class.
skinning has always been something I make a mess of.
I get the skin off but its never much use for anything.
Thanks very much.
98% of it, is science, the rest is rainbows - Luci_ferson
2 April 2013, 11:27,
picked up an ex-North Devon Meat Co skinning knife in the market this morning..in very good condition,nice edge on it....30p!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.