Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Warm Feet Please,
8 January 2012, 20:16,
Warm Feet Please,
Hi everyone

Just a quick question.

How do you keep your feet warm while camping in winter? My girlfriend and I both found our feet were getting cold at night, but the rest of our body was perfectly warm.

Can anyone explain that and how do I get our feet warm when we sleep?
8 January 2012, 20:31,
RE: Warm Feet Please,
good socks
i use seal skin socks as well have no bother then not cheap but better than cold feet

b/d
8 January 2012, 20:59,
The reason you feet get cold is that it is blood that warms them unless they are well covered. Cover them up and save your body heat. Thermal socks, thick socks whatever. Same with hands, nose, ears etc. You want to keep your body energy for vital work not basic grunt work.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 January 2012, 21:18,
Alice wore 4 pairs of socks, 2 of which were (bed socks) thermal. I had one pair of wool socks, so probably only have myself to blame.

How are Alice's feet still cold with four pairs of socks on?

Where do you get seal socks from and are the made of seal, or is that a company name?
8 January 2012, 21:32,
The brain don't really worry too much about feet it will instead slow the blood flow to the feet to keep it on more important areas of our bodies.

Things to do are movement I know it’s late your tired but movement really is your best friend when it comes to warming up the feet, the body.

Make sure you’re not losing heat from the other heat loss zones this will speed up the brains responses to send less blood flow to the feet.
Food being well feed is a good thing.

Make sure socks/boots are dry, sleep with boots on remove rub feet and put back on.

Use partners body heat.

Invest in good socks I use army artic type they help a lot, I also have mickey mouse boots that are very good for cold weather.

Get yourself a metal water canteen fill it with boiling water and place in bottom of sleeping bag I use a Russian one for this reason.
Don’t breath directly into your sleeping bag.

I am sure there are many more things to do, I have read using heated rocks in bottom of bag works (never tried this) make sure your bga is not touching the floor, lay it on something.

Then you have a more extreme option fire bed.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
8 January 2012, 21:48,
I sometimes chuck one of those disposable chemical hand warming sachets made by firms like Coleman into the bottom of my doss bag, especially in Germany in the winter during the cold war Smile

8 January 2012, 22:04,
(8 January 2012, 21:48)NorthernRaider Wrote: I sometimes chuck one of those disposable chemical hand warming sachets made by firms like Coleman into the bottom of my doss bag, especially in Germany in the winter during the cold war Smile

I have yet to find one that gives off enough heat, I have loads, ones that can be re heated in water to reset them, I just think they are waste of time.

The ones you used might have been better back then, things tend to get crapier as time goes by these days.
8 January 2012, 22:29,
They must be crappier now cos the buggers back then were basically a perforated plastic packet of iron filings treated some how ( bit like a Hot Can Meal of the same period) When you opened the packet the iron filings reacted with the air and got hot, very often to blooming hot and you had to dispose of it before it burnt your tootsypegs

8 January 2012, 22:35,
(8 January 2012, 22:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: They must be crappier now cos the buggers back then were basically a perforated plastic packet of iron filings treated some how ( bit like a Hot Can Meal of the same period) When you opened the packet the iron filings reacted with the air and got hot, very often to blooming hot and you had to dispose of it before it burnt your tootsypegs

NR I don’t doubt you for one second, one of the things that really piss me off is how things have changed for the worse, from food to non-food products so much crap is being sold, things are not expected to be any good these days and people don't seem to give a crap if something only last few months or only does 20% of what is claimed.
8 January 2012, 22:49,
(8 January 2012, 21:18)Scythe13 Wrote: Alice wore 4 pairs of socks, 2 of which were (bed socks) thermal. I had one pair of wool socks, so probably only have myself to blame.

How are Alice's feet still cold with four pairs of socks on?

Women tend to feel the cold more than men. Try proper thermal socks. I don't believe bed socks are thermal. Try an adult baby grow. (They are one piece pyjamas for adults. My daughter swears by them. They have littel slippers on.

On the other hand you need to find out what keeps her warm. Wink

Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin