Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trapping
14 February 2013, 23:31,
Trapping
We hear a lot about `shooting or not`, `cross bow or not`..... but there are probably many times where neither is the best way to provide food

Trapping can be a lot easier,.. for a start one person can lay down many traps in a day, increasing the chance of a kill,... trapping is silent, no gunshot and little chance of wounding, or wounded cries

It would be great to hear about peoples ideas about trapping, and maybe a few designs

Rabbits are always going to be a favorite,.. there was a time when I thought you laid the loop on the ground,.. and then wondered why I didn't catch any,..it was wrong

Find a run,... not always easy in open ground, so I tend to look along fence lines, or where the animal has to go under something, if you are luck enough to find the warren hole great,... a rabbit will use the same entry and exit every time [unless alarmed],... and you will see the marks where it came and went.

Don't put your trap right next to the fence,.. the rabbit might be ducking down, and you want him to have his head up, not down

come slightly forward from the fence and put a stick into the ground at the side of the run,.. even as far as a couple of feet away, its only to hold him when caught,... fix the wire to it, then make a loop.

The loop wants to be about 7-8 inch in diameter, and the bottom of the loop needs to be suspended about 4-5 inches off the ground [ you want the head into the loop not the legs ]

To suspend the loop use one stick lent at an angle over the run, and one or two smaller stick holding the loop up off the ground,.. balance the loop between these sticks

The loop itself needs to be a good slip loop, you don't want one that snags,.. it can be wire, or cord,... or even a strong fishing line

any other ideas?
A major part of survival is invisibility.
14 February 2013, 23:53,
RE: Trapping
Got a few rabbit snares but there cheap ones, need to learn how to make them myself. Will also be investing in fox snares, plenty of them around my area, more than rabbits and there alot bigger.
15 February 2013, 11:03,
(14 February 2013, 23:53)Metroyeti Wrote: Got a few rabbit snares but there cheap ones, need to learn how to make them myself. Will also be investing in fox snares, plenty of them around my area, more than rabbits and there alot bigger.

You're planning to eat foxes??
Find a resilient place and way to live, then sit back and watch a momentous period in history unfold.
15 February 2013, 11:21,
Also duck/water bird traps. Shallow water, 4 sticks, a large rock and some fishing line and a hook.
I know this used to be used to great effect years ago and it's really simple.
If we find ourselves in a shtf situation most of us will be near a water source of some sort.

Don't think I'll be going for the foxes haha!
15 February 2013, 15:34,
Worst casescenario I will be eating foxes, im just preparing for the worst, but it will also be useful if you own chickens
15 February 2013, 15:39,
(15 February 2013, 15:34)Metroyeti Wrote: Worst casescenario I will be eating foxes, im just preparing for the worst, but it will also be useful if you own chickens

they stink of ass pal dont think the meat is much better ,but thinking about it food is food
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 February 2013, 15:41,
(15 February 2013, 15:39)Barneyboy Wrote:
(15 February 2013, 15:34)Metroyeti Wrote: Worst casescenario I will be eating foxes, im just preparing for the worst, but it will also be useful if you own chickens

they stink of ass pal dont think the meat is much better ,but thinking about it food is food

i've seen some mangy foxes over the last few years, i suppose if we were starving but i can think of better things to eat.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 February 2013, 15:51,
The meat does stink, but keeping my options open, city foxes must be better fed than country foxes, there flipping massive, most dont even run when they see my dog, and you can get about 10m away before they move
15 February 2013, 15:51,
(15 February 2013, 11:21)Megatron Wrote: Also duck/water bird traps. Shallow water, 4 sticks, a large rock and some fishing line and a hook.
I know this used to be used to great effect years ago and it's really simple.
If we find ourselves in a shtf situation most of us will be near a water source of some sort.

Don't think I'll be going for the foxes haha!

Can you tell us how this is set up please
A major part of survival is invisibility.
15 February 2013, 15:56,
(15 February 2013, 15:51)Metroyeti Wrote: The meat does stink, but keeping my options open, city foxes must be better fed than country foxes, there flipping massive, most dont even run when they see my dog, and you can get about 10m away before they move

country foxes eat a natural diet,city foxes eat left over take away, rubbish from bin bags, i know which one i'd rather eat..if pushed, i think i'd rather eat badger any day.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.