Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firearms, Range shooting and Airsoft?..
20 February 2013, 08:43,
RE: Firearms, Range shooting and Airsoft?..
(20 February 2013, 00:04)Tibbs735 Wrote: Airsoft as well as other things like paintball are fun, and are good for developing teamwork, but you haven't got the constant fear of death hanging over you to make it realistic.

Uuupps,...I am about to show my country bumpkin side now,... I thought Airsoft was Paintball,... clearly not, so whats Airsoft?,...I supose we do have them in Scotland, but never heard of any whereabouts
A major part of survival is invisibility.
20 February 2013, 10:19,
Airsoft is paintball for girls.
20 February 2013, 10:38,
Paintball is hard smacks of pain from a CO2 / Compressed air marker, usually not trying too hard. Airsoft is more realistic looking copies of rifles and pistols that fire small plastic BB's via spring, gas or electric.
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
21 February 2013, 04:19,
(20 February 2013, 10:38)Tibbs735 Wrote: Paintball is hard smacks of pain from a CO2 / Compressed air marker, usually not trying too hard. Airsoft is more realistic looking copies of rifles and pistols that fire small plastic BB's via spring, gas or electric.

And neither simulate real war, fear, excitement, commitment, focus, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love paintball and tried out for Nexus. Got loads of my own gear (Only have 3 markers left though...if anyone wants one, PM me and we'll sort a price). Airsoft....can't comment on it really. Used to run around in the woods as a kid, but that's as close as I've got. Still, the level of pain is very different to the fear of dying in real war!

As for shooting, that's a secret ;-)
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
21 February 2013, 11:06,
I don't know how I missed this thread until now...

Anyway, re the Second Amendment, it is NOT a permission to own guns and form private militias. Rather, it forces the state to recognise these things as inalienable human rights, rights that exist regardless of whether the law of the land recognises them or not.

As for guns themselves, and at the risk of upsetting you mainlanders by mentioning this again, in Northern Ireland the laws are much more reasonable and you may own handguns (Glock 17s are popular), real semi automatic rifles (not as popular as handguns though), proper defensive shotguns, and... you can openly show them, although I don't know anyone who does. Well, a friend of mine brought his Glock with him when we were at church one evening, apparently he does it all the time. And something like one fifth of the population is legally armed, so with rural crime is the lowest in Europe, there may be a connection.
21 February 2013, 11:23,
(21 February 2013, 11:06)cryingfreeman Wrote: I don't know how I missed this thread until now...

Anyway, re the Second Amendment, it is NOT a permission to own guns and form private militias. Rather, it forces the state to recognise these things as inalienable human rights, rights that exist regardless of whether the law of the land recognises them or not.

As for guns themselves, and at the risk of upsetting you mainlanders by mentioning this again, in Northern Ireland the laws are much more reasonable and you may own handguns (Glock 17s are popular), real semi automatic rifles (not as popular as handguns though), proper defensive shotguns, and... you can openly show them, although I don't know anyone who does. Well, a friend of mine brought his Glock with him when we were at church one evening, apparently he does it all the time. And something like one fifth of the population is legally armed, so with rural crime is the lowest in Europe, there may be a connection.
Northern Ireland here I come!
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
21 February 2013, 19:03,
(19 February 2013, 21:21)Wildman Wrote: get an air rifle that has been tuned down for the uk. buy the parts that would up the power (all legal as long as they stay away from the rifle) if shtf apply the parts and you have a fire arm that has an enldes supply of rounds. my gamo varmint stalker shoots at 650fps the u.s varmint (hunter) same gun. shoots a 1450fps.

Hi Wildman,

A friend in Europe is looking to get a Gamo Big Cat 1250 in .22 calibre for me. I'll get the spring removed before bringing it back to UK.

Two questions for you as someone who has already gone down this road.

1. How did you go about getting a spring that brought your Gamo into UK spec?

2. Have you found a good field hunting pellet that works well with the de-tuned gun?

Hope you can help me here? It'll save me a lot of time and trouble.

Thanks
conscius et paratum
21 February 2013, 19:23,
(21 February 2013, 19:03)Digger Wrote:
(19 February 2013, 21:21)Wildman Wrote: get an air rifle that has been tuned down for the uk. buy the parts that would up the power (all legal as long as they stay away from the rifle) if shtf apply the parts and you have a fire arm that has an enldes supply of rounds. my gamo varmint stalker shoots at 650fps the u.s varmint (hunter) same gun. shoots a 1450fps.

Hi Wildman,

A friend in Europe is looking to get a Gamo Big Cat 1250 in .22 calibre for me. I'll get the spring removed before bringing it back to UK.

Two questions for you as someone who has already gone down this road.

1. How did you go about getting a spring that brought your Gamo into UK spec?

2. Have you found a good field hunting pellet that works well with the de-tuned gun?

Hope you can help me here? It'll save me a lot of time and trouble.

Thanks

my guns de tuned and its the spring that i need lol. i havent tuned her up or got the spring ect. its the idea and legality loop hole i was mentioning. also u need to bore out part of the valve. when i know more i'll let u know. all i know is that its legal until you apply and do the work, but the whole kit with the tools needed can b sat in a tool box as legal as fresh milk. (guns arent illegal-firing pins are) when i realised this it opened my mind big time. as for the right pellet for de-tuned i havent taken the gun out into the field yet so for long shots i dont know-sorry. but for stalking shots i have found the most destructive (in my room shooting at a xxl baked bean tin) to be premier hollow point @ 14.3gr .93g made in the u.s.a by crossman. from what i can see these things (if close enough) would have the stopping power to bring down more than just rabbits. they also have polished behinds so they act as tracers at night. if you hear anything regarding our projects as i will tell u i would b gr8ful if u could do the same. hope i have been of some help.
he never planned to fail, he just failed to plan. like lambs to the slaughter the wolfs look down from the hill tops. we are those wolfs!!!
21 February 2013, 21:31,
Thank you Wildman,

Yes I've read about the Crossman hollow points. My understanding is that these Gamos are quite picky pellet wise. I'll let you know which ones I find to be best.

Yes, the air guns minus their springs are completely benign.

To comply to UK regs the snag is finding the right spring to bring them down to 16 joules / 12 ft lb. I'm hoping that all of Gamo's guns that are rated at 1250 fps speed are using the same mechanisms, so finding a de-tuning spring that fits one, should solve the problem for then all.

Cheers
conscius et paratum
26 February 2013, 13:10,
Wildman and other experts:

Said gun now purchased and delivered. Friend has loosed of a few shots from it and tells me its well powerful and that the TS sights are good I will collect it during summer holidays (July). Its a pity that it'll have to be de-tuned. Still no luck finding a suitable spring. The search continues.

For testing, I've ordered three types of pellets, the cost is stupid low. Around 1.2p per pop when I convert:

Gamo Expander cal.22 (Idea for short range so that they don't pass clean through the prey)
Gamo Pro Hunter cal.22 ( Standard hunter grade pellets)
Gamo TS-22 cal.22 (it states long range on the tin..... we'll have to wait and see)

I'll let you know the results we get from testing.

After we have decided which work best we're thinking of stockpiling 10,000 of them. That should last us forever and is only 20 tins. Do you think that's enough?
conscius et paratum