Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Watchmen"
23 February 2013, 16:06,
"The Watchmen"
http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/02/the-...rek-c.html
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 February 2013, 18:12,
RE: "The Watchmen"
This is why it would be difficult to "go it alone". You would need a small community to be able to set up a watch system with an on call back-up. Depending on the size of you BOL you may need three, four or more people on wath at any time to cover your perimeter securely. Then you would need at least two more watches to provide a propper watch rotation. Certainly something to think about.
23 February 2013, 18:23,
if "lone wolf" you could increase your chances by using trip alarms, trip wires, snares and spear pits, also patrol your immediate area so you KNOW who is about!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 February 2013, 18:36,
Thats ok for a first encounter but what happens next. Your baddie comes back with his mates. You can't look all ways at once. I'm still a believer in "strength in numbers".
23 February 2013, 18:42,
(23 February 2013, 18:36)Dorset Lad Wrote: I'm still a believer in "strength in numbers".

thats fine if you have people you can rely on, some of us dont have that option.also any "baddie" who stumbles into my location wont be leaving again to tell his mates!Angry
23 February 2013, 19:05,
I agree you need people you can rely on but I don't agree that even with the best will in the world and the best perimiter security, you can gaurantee 100% that an intruder will not get away to return later.
How big is your BOL? Lets say you have an area 100 feet across. Thats an immediate perimeter of over a hundred yards. Suppose you dig a moat / spear pit 3 feet wide and the same deep. At a conservative 1 ton per cubic yard thats over 100 tons of soil to shift!
Trip wires would cover the distance but then you either need a lot of closely set devices or a few devices and more wire.
Its 3am and you are asleep after a busy day setting your trip wires. Baddie wanders into one of your trip wires and there is a loud noise. He immediately turns and runs like hell. You wake, gather your wits and a wepeon and then head in the direction of the alarm. Takes maybe one minute maybe two. A fit baddie could be over a quarter of a mile away in that time and the chances of finding him are very limited. Considder that against having 3 men on stag with the same trip alarms and spaced 35 yards apart. The max distance for a sentry to engage baddie is now 17.5 yards. The chances of baddie escaping are now very limited. Just need some reliable sentries.
23 February 2013, 19:13,
its a nice scenario, but why would some baddie be blundering about at 3 am? most criminals even in the good times do their thievery between nightfall and midnight and thats in the city/town, blundering about in the countryside in the dark will result in a broken leg at the very least, a decent wire strung between two trees at neck height will soon stop him cold.
23 February 2013, 19:20,
Perhaps more likely then is that you are away forraging during the day. Last thing you want is to come home to find a group of squatters. Better to have friends to watch your back.
23 February 2013, 19:28,
(23 February 2013, 19:20)Dorset Lad Wrote: Perhaps more likely then is that you are away forraging during the day. Last thing you want is to come home to find a group of squatters.

they have got to find me first! anyway thats why i made the remark about patrolling the area to see who was about, know your area like the back of your hand and you should know where people are likely to be camped, then take whatever steps are neccessary. the thing with being a lone wolf is you only have one person to worry about, 1 person to feed and 1 person to cook for, less tracks to be seen, less noise for people to hear( i can go for days without having the need to talk to someone, can you and your mates say the sameBig Grin)
23 February 2013, 22:01,
Its something i ponder alot about.....there are so many variables though ...position of your BOL ....outlook...... view....if you,v done the job prior you will already know the good and bad points of your location ....you could channel any wouldbe baddy down a preselected path lets say with nasty bits n bobs set up....although trip wires are good the very nature dictates the baddy is already very close to your position....and this fact alone means you have to be VERY ready with loads of supprises ....how many ? where are they ? .....i would have a bolt HOLE just incase...better to live another day ( if you are a lone wolf ....or a group )