Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axe Sharpening
18 March 2013, 21:24,
Axe Sharpening
I bought a 2.5lb long handled axe for £13.00, I wanted something similar but cheaper to the GB Small Forest Axe. I like the weight and the size, and the price is good. However it came blunt, I have been trying for hours to sharpen it with a machete file, and either side of a Falkniven DC4 stone (Using it dry). It seems to get a little sharper, then i do it some more and it goes blunt again, I am just doing it with my hands, no clamp.
I have no clue about how to get it sharp, and I think it came with an edge that is too obtuse, too large an angle. I have no spinning stone grinder thing. Helps please.
18 March 2013, 21:31,
RE: Axe Sharpening
google blade tech and on their site I'm sure that they have a video showing their sharpener on an axe..... not sure that it would be helpful but it would be worth a look and if you are interested then the sharper is only 10 quid ...... can get them a bit cheaper on ebay too
18 March 2013, 21:38,
depending on how blunt it is, if it is very blunt, I would start with a file get yourself some sort of edge before turning to the stone,.. I very rarely use a wet stone.

If you are not used to sharpening, I bet that each swipe of the stone you make you are making a different angle because you are moving, so if I was you I would put the blade in a vise, this at least holds it still,... then do slow full swipes with your stone, and watch the angle you use,.. keep the angle slight, not too severe, try and keep each swipe the same,.... swipe uphill on the one side, and down hill on the other edge.

Sharpening comes with practice, you will get to the stage where you can do it on your knee, but it takes time
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 March 2013, 21:40,
This might help

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22814

I generally just use a dc4 and use a circular action and aim for a convex shape for the grind. If that makes sense.
18 March 2013, 21:43,
your probably right bout the angle of the blade ...you can reduce it if you have an angle grinder...you must mount it in a vice though and take your time..ware goggles...then file...then stone finish....in depends on the quality of steel also ...but you can get a razor sharp finish.....don,t rush...take time
18 March 2013, 22:13,
Is it possible to reshape the grind with a hand file?
18 March 2013, 22:18,
(18 March 2013, 22:13)Dojo97 Wrote: Is it possible to reshape the grind with a hand file?

Yes,... if you have really lost the edge, then it will take you a long time to regain it just using a stone,... even if every stroke was a good one,...so re-shaping with the file, is your better bet

If you continue to have trouble, then you could just do the one side,.... if you continue to file just one side of the axe, and do nothing more than remove the burr that's bent over the edge on the other side,...you will get a reasonable edge,... but not such a good cutting edge as if you have done bother sides
A major part of survival is invisibility.
18 March 2013, 22:22,
I’ve got and old drill and a bench clamp that I use which takes Velcro sanding disk pads.
It’s handy as you can choose what grade you want to use, and you can polish with it too.
Something similar to this: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/271163356...pla&crdt=0
The issue is that the disks don’t last that long
18 March 2013, 22:59,
(18 March 2013, 22:22)Mosstrooper Wrote: I’ve got and old drill and a bench clamp that I use which takes Velcro sanding disk pads.
It’s handy as you can choose what grade you want to use, and you can polish with it too.
Something similar to this: http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/271163356...pla&crdt=0
The issue is that the disks don’t last that long

now that is a bloody good idea pal nice one
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
19 March 2013, 10:46,
I really need to sort myself out a good axe as i don't possess one!!! most of the wood processing I need to do can be done with a Machete, but I do feel the need to buy one I just can't decide what type of Axe would cover most bases, and would appreciate any feedback. I can't see myself having to cut down a tree but you never know do you. Would it be more sensible to buy a range of axes, or is there such a thing as a "universal" axe that will suit most applications?
The only experience I have had with Axes is handling and using variouse types of Viking/Saxon/Frankish weapons and they are not designed to be used on wood, and would look ridiculous chopping firewoodBig Grin