Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Shortage?
17 April 2013, 05:03,
Food Shortage?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...risis.html

This caught my eye. Just wonder what he is not telling us.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 April 2013, 06:14,
RE: Food Shortage?
Back door way of getting G.M. crops in so the world will be held to ransom by the G.M. providers.
Failure is NOT an option
17 April 2013, 08:01,
Yes, I saw this, with the weather we have been getting these last two years is no surprise that we are getting short, whats just as worrying is that it seem to say we no longer have the spare cash to even buy cheap imports as we once did
A major part of survival is invisibility.
17 April 2013, 08:21,
(17 April 2013, 06:14)uks Wrote: Back door way of getting G.M. crops in so the world will be held to ransom by the G.M. providers.

Yes, makes you a bit suspicious, doesn't it! This is why it is so important to grow your food from non GM and preferably non-hybrid seeds. There are no reports from the potential damage of long-term consumption of food grown from crops that have been genetically fiddled with. Could be a real problem for future generations.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
17 April 2013, 08:49,
The weather patterns the world over are having a dramatic effect on all foods ,including animal stocks, set that against a ever growing population you don't need to be the brain of Britain to work out what the result will be . All resources have either peaked or close to it and a downwards trend ensues , the old adage of supply and demand comes into play ( never went away really ) but the fact is you will be paying through the nose for it. Gardening for me was part of the school curriculum when I was a lad and practiced by my father and my grandparents and instilled into me the importance of being self sufficient and in control of what was put on the table, indeed girls of that time were taught to cook and make clothes ....make do and mend ...those days are coming back . When I post on here regarding gardening threads it my appear that I am some sort of wizzo ....but I can tell you I am nothing like it , I have had some great tips off this site , it just makes me want to get better . This year I am better prepared than ever, because I think I need to be...gone are the sloppy old ways of mine, I am on the case big time, my message to all on here (even if you live in a flat) start growing ...even in tubs on a window sill but get into the routine, its not hard to do ... sooner rather that later you will be forced to ,if you want to survive....face the fact food will become short , its inevitable, practice the skills you most defiantly will need very soon. As for GM food , fertilizers and the way seeds are produced go hand in glove one compliments the other, and sold by the same people, funny that, that's why the bees are dying off in my opinion, horse meat....get used to it that's here to stay by the way . lastly GM seeds will cross pollinate , I use heirloom seeds , this will become useless if GM becomes the norm, GM is BAD NEWS for me...and YOU
17 April 2013, 08:52,
The growing season hasn't been great. When i finally do move into a house i will have missed this years growing period but will just get the garden ready for next years season.
17 April 2013, 09:05,
Don't worry SP preparation is everything..... try some tubs though you would be surprised what you can get for the table THIS year
17 April 2013, 09:51,
(17 April 2013, 09:05)Straight Shooter Wrote: Don't worry SP preparation is everything..... try some tubs though you would be surprised what you can get for the table THIS year

It is a plan Smile
I move in june but will hopefully be able to get some stuff ready and growing indoors, I will be spending autumn preparing the new garden for plants as well as figuring out where to build a green house. The previous owners have left a pond with goldfish in, when i have relocated the fish i will turn it into a raised bed for root veg. The final plan is to have a bucket garden because the garden is mostly decking and add some fish to the greenhouse. Any space after that will go for chickens.

All of this will be a few years in the making though.

What plants have you got in your garden?
17 April 2013, 11:24,
Right now, potatoes, onion sets, broad beans, peas, carrots, radish, lettuce, cabbage, kale, chives, parsley, ....in the greenhouse tomatoes, cucumbers, parsnips, swede, cabbage, leeks, ....wifey stuff flowers ....in the poly tunnel..... potatoes, broad beans, peas, onion sets, lettuce, radish , in general around the ground.......plums, quince, damsons, apples, pears, cherries, raspberries, red and black currants, rhubarb, blueberries, nectarines, strawberries, elder trees, gooseberries, wild strawberries, and a big chair where I have a wiff
17 April 2013, 11:54,
(17 April 2013, 11:24)Straight Shooter Wrote: Right now, potatoes, onion sets, broad beans, peas, carrots, radish, lettuce, cabbage, kale, chives, parsley, ....in the greenhouse tomatoes, cucumbers, parsnips, swede, cabbage, leeks, ....wifey stuff flowers ....in the poly tunnel..... potatoes, broad beans, peas, onion sets, lettuce, radish , in general around the ground.......plums, quince, damsons, apples, pears, cherries, raspberries, red and black currants, rhubarb, blueberries, nectarines, strawberries, elder trees, gooseberries, wild strawberries, and a big chair where I have a wiff

Wow quite the garden. I just can't wait to get started.