Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning the lights back on...
20 April 2013, 22:21,
RE: Turning the lights back on...
Back on track and "Project Black Start" has been around for a long while in the UK. It's effectiveness could be argued but the point is that if TPTB have worked out how to get the electric back on then surely they've worked out their priority consumers?

http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/electrici...lackstart/

All the best

Ter
20 April 2013, 23:03,
i would hope that localised power is generated using wind turbines micro hydro etc and hopefully used locally
for me the main use would be to power the fridge and the freezer so that foood does not spoil and you can build up a frozen supply
21 April 2013, 09:38,
small wind turbines and small hydro set ups only provide so much power, our friend in the straw bale house in Somerset has this and it only powers her computer and a couple of light bulbs.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2013, 01:12, (This post was last modified: 4 May 2013, 01:33 by Grumpy Grandpa.)
(19 April 2013, 17:16)Mortblanc Wrote: In my region TPTB install utilities and REQUIRE mandatory hookup with minimum payments monthly.

That's a situation that would be hilarious if it wasn't so ludicrous! I watched a programme about a couple who had built an earth ship homes that ran entirely on solar and geothermic power, who had been forced by the state authorities to install a heating system for thousands of dollars, which they had never used.

They copied part of the state's correspondence onto a plaque for their front door which read something like: "The state of (wherever it was, California I think,) does not recognise the Sun as a source of energy."

The mind truly boggles! Big Grin

(19 April 2013, 17:27)bigpaul Wrote: ...or maybe grab a donkey or pony from one of the fields around here...there's 5 ponies in the back field...

I wonder (if he's still around and has a few pals,) whether the ponies' owner might consider hoss theivery a hangin' offence! Big Grin

The wee beasties will be be needing someone to care for them... Big Grin

4 May 2013, 02:36,
A long time ago (let me think - ah yes, 10 days!) I read an article by SD on the main site called 'The Main Point of What We Do'. In it, SD voiced the opinion that one of the purposes of survival after a major event was for, "Our species to survive and thrive", with one of that species' goals being to, "Expand and move off the planet or stagnate and die".

I thoroughly enjoyed that article and the sentiment struck a chord with me so I can't help but wonder whether we should be working toward that goal for the longer term. If we don't restore our current infrastructure and technology, would we be taking a step back to prehistory, and losing sight of that goal?

4 May 2013, 08:00,
(4 May 2013, 01:12)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(19 April 2013, 17:27)bigpaul Wrote: ...or maybe grab a donkey or pony from one of the fields around here...there's 5 ponies in the back field...

I wonder (if he's still around and has a few pals,) whether the ponies' owner might consider hoss theivery a hangin' offence! Big Grin

i meant POST SHTF(most of my remarks are post shtf) when there is no owner to care for them!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 May 2013, 12:17,
(4 May 2013, 08:00)bigpaul Wrote:

i meant POST SHTF(most of my remarks are post shtf) when there is no owner to care for them!

Oh my God!!!Confused How could I have been SO stupid........ Blush

I KNEW THAT!!! I said, " If he was still around..." It was a a joke! Look at it... Big GrinTongue

4 May 2013, 13:01,
(4 May 2013, 12:17)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(4 May 2013, 08:00)bigpaul Wrote:

Oh my God!!!Confused How could I have been SO stupid........ Blush

I KNEW THAT!!! I said, " If he was still around..." It was a a joke! Look at it... Big GrinTongue

sorry, i thought you meant it for real!Angry
4 May 2013, 15:19,
No probs BP - I thought it wasn't bad...

4 May 2013, 15:31,
i've had this conversation several times on different sites, but if and when the power goes off post SHTF and stays off, depending on how much of a "die-off" there is, would we have the capability to turn it back on? and do we really want to ? if "the collapse" is complete its probably out of the question any way, i for one would prefer a pre industrialised lifestyle anyway, more closer to the soil-we'd be too busy surviving and growing our own food, breeding our meat animals, and hunting/foraging, to worry too much about the power grid anyway.and it'd be a damn sight more peaceful with out all the din from a modern technological lifestyle, and without the light polution we might actually be able to see the stars at night!Big Grin mind you, i think a lot of people(under 50) would be quite shocked about just how quite it would be, some might just go crazy with all the quiet!