Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arm protection
23 May 2013, 13:22,
RE: Arm protection
I'm sorry, but when you're being attacked by a dog or dogs, you don't often have the time to cover yourself in bubble wrap. They're fast and aggressive, much more agile than you will ever be, and sometimes much stronger than you. And you want to give it your arm? Intentionally? One well trained dog would rip you off balance straight away, and take you to the ground. It'll bite you everywhere it can. My dog would hit you on a run then literally chew any bit of you he could. 9 stone of muscle and bone smashing into you isn't good (trust me, it hurts and that's without his many teeth grabbing me), it knocks the wind out of you, fucks your knees up and generally puts a downer on your day.

And it's only certain breeds of dog that don't let go, if they all did that then no one would die from a dog attack as it only bites you once!

Use something to keep them at bay. Let them bite you and you're already losing the battle.
23 May 2013, 13:33,
I get what you're saying BM, but you don't just stand there and let it maul you. When it latches on, you smash the crap out of it with a brick, knife, or other weapon. The idea of the arm is to keep it away from your face, while also keeping it in place long enough for you to dispatch it.

My idea of arm protection was actually against a knife attack. It would only buy you a few seconds, but that could be enough time to get running (if you're not already trying to get away) or for you to start hitting back.

In a knife fight, you're going to get cut. I've taught Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 2 years, worked doors, and am currently working security at the moment. I know if someone pulls a knife, I'm likely going to bleed.

If someone does pull out a knife, I'm going to try to get distance between us. A physical barrier is a great idea. Something like a shopping trolley, basket, bar stool, etc. In those kinds of situations, you can use the barrier to smash the attacker in the face or body. If there is none of that around, the idea with the arm protection is to provide enough of a defence (2 or 3 seconds) to let you start kicking and build distance. Kicks keep the blade away from the body and thus away from vital organs. Yes there is the femul artery, but that's a necessary evil. Risk one weakness instead of 9 or 10.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 May 2013, 13:39,
kick it in the balls??Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 May 2013, 13:52,
(23 May 2013, 13:33)Scythe13 Wrote: I get what you're saying BM, but you don't just stand there and let it maul you. When it latches on, you smash the crap out of it with a brick, knife, or other weapon. The idea of the arm is to keep it away from your face, while also keeping it in place long enough for you to dispatch it.

In a perfect world that may work. I'd also be hung like a donkey and richer than all of Dubai. Unfortunately it's not a perfect world, I'm stuck with this tiny little nubbin and I'm poorer than a very poor thing.

I'll stick to keeping anything that's trying to bite me well away from any appendages thanks.
23 May 2013, 15:26,
Post collapse, even a small wound could turn serious. I would worry that wearing armour could slow me down enough to be caught. Glaziers sometimes wear kevlar sleeves as well as gloves, these could work as everyday wear, providing some protection without too much weight.

http://www.romarinnovate.com/ansell-70-1...tAoddl4A4Q
23 May 2013, 20:03,
If someone pulls a knife on me. All bets are off. I will use my knife or other weapon on him. I know one guy that literally spun on the spot (bag on back) to deflect the knife and in the process of the turn pulled his knife and stab the guy in the throat (dummy blades - demo) at the end of the day if someone pulls a weapon on my they better use it because I'm sure gunna use my after that point.
23 May 2013, 20:56,
We all need something to carry on us (legal of course Wink because if any of us get attacked, the sheeple, as seen in Woolwich, will stand around like zombies tweeting about it or taking photos as we get kicked and/or stabbed to death.
23 May 2013, 21:25,
Perfect city weapon, can of energy drink in a carrier bag.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
24 May 2013, 00:29,
(23 May 2013, 21:25)Metroyeti Wrote: Perfect city weapon, can of energy drink in a carrier bag.

Interesting idea, and probably a good start to a "stealth self defence" thread.

I reckon a tin of beans in a "bag for life" would be tougher.
24 May 2013, 01:46,
(24 May 2013, 00:29)Steve Wrote:
(23 May 2013, 21:25)Metroyeti Wrote: Perfect city weapon, can of energy drink in a carrier bag.
Interesting idea, and probably a good start to a "stealth self defence" thread.

I reckon a tin of beans in a "bag for life" would be tougher.

Bag for life would be too rigid and not allow the beans to settle in a single location to cause maximum force. Better off double or triple bagging the beans. A normal carrier bag will take the shape of the beans, and offer minimal wind resistance, while also keeping the beans in the same part of the bag.

Better yet, as discussed on a previous thread, just carry a spare pair of socks with you. Anything in those socks, like a glass, bar of soap, pool ball, watch, etc, will be devastating.

Don't forget the hefting belt buckle you have!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin