Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best SHTF clothes question and discussion
27 May 2013, 12:18,
RE: Best SHTF clothes question and discussion
(27 May 2013, 10:25)Mopster Wrote: Thanks for all these suggestions. I think I know what what the best things to get

That sounds like the end of a thread to me...

27 May 2013, 12:39,
(27 May 2013, 12:18)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(27 May 2013, 10:25)Mopster Wrote: Thanks for all these suggestions. I think I know what what the best things to get

That sounds like the end of a thread to me...

Well we've all pretty much decided the "best" clothes.
Something comfy.
Something black.
Something tight.
Something water proof
Something durable
and something that has a lot of pockets.
27 May 2013, 12:45,
if you live in a city after the SHTF....wear what keeps you warm and dry firstly...IMO......camo is in fashion....fashions usually exist in the suburban/urban city centre environment.....its up to the individual to wear what "they" thinks right come post event....wear camo..wear black....wear a pink/yellow shell suit if you think it hides you or blends you in to the "situation " of the moment. IMHO Big Grin
27 May 2013, 13:03,
(27 May 2013, 12:45)RoadWarrior Wrote: if you live in a city after the SHTF....wear what keeps you warm and dry firstly...IMO......camo is in fashion....fashions usually exist in the suburban/urban city centre environment.....its up to the individual to wear what "they" thinks right come post event....wear camo..wear black....wear a pink/yellow shell suit if you think it hides you or blends you in to the "situation " of the moment. IMHO Big Grin

yep, entirely right, wear what suits YOU and wear what fits into your environment whether that is a inner city or out in the countryside.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 May 2013, 13:19,
If you dont want to be noticed then wear everyday clothes of a grey or bland color

Mopster, I was wondering when the last time you saw a male dressed in tight black clothes,.. and the last time you saw a woman like that it probably drew your attention,.. how many times are your eyes drawn to bikers walking the street

Personaly I would wear almost anything else other than black and tight clothes
(27 May 2013, 12:39)Mopster Wrote: Something comfy.
Something black.
Something tight.
Something water proof
Something durable
and something that has a lot of pockets.

look around you next time you go to town, I am sure that if you spend enough time doing this you will see that its is the bland grey colors that do most of the blending,... personally I dont see why jeans are not on the list,..ok they do get a bit heavier when wet, but its about the only negative point, they are tough everyone wears them you have pockets and if not enough it wouldn't look out of place to add more, and you will be looking a long time to find waterproof trousers,.. rain proof maybe, but not waterproof, try fording a stream in waterproof trousers and see, you will be as wet as if you were wearing the jeans
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 May 2013, 13:30,
HL...you've got my taste buds going mate ! you said " a male wearing tight black clothes " I had a flashback to those 70s adverts for "Milk Tray" chocolates.....lmfao......mmm......chocolate Big Grin
27 May 2013, 13:37,
(27 May 2013, 13:19)Highlander Wrote: look around you next time you go to town, I am sure that if you spend enough time doing this you will see that its is the bland grey colors that do most of the blending,... personally I dont see why jeans are not on the list,..ok they do get a bit heavier when wet, but its about the only negative point, they are tough everyone wears them you have pockets and if not enough it wouldn't look out of place to add more, and you will be looking a long time to find waterproof trousers,.. rain proof maybe, but not waterproof, try fording a stream in waterproof trousers and see, you will be as wet as if you were wearing the jeans

the whole point I originally mentioned jeans is MOST people wear them, they are a universal garment and we wont look out of place wearing them.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 May 2013, 16:11,
(26 May 2013, 20:34)Grumpy Grandpa Wrote:
(26 May 2013, 13:10)Little Lou Wrote: I wish I'd had GG's guts to ask the question in the first place, and am just desperately grateful that he did.

It hardly takes guts to ask a question now, does it? My question actually related though, to whether any discussion was required on what we will, or will not wear, if and when TSHTF. I'm 60 years old and have been a soldier and outdoorsman for many of them and know the difference between fashion, work and what's suitable for both, as no doubt, do you all.

My question also reflected my astonishment that anyone could consider an article of clothing 'tactical', no matter how many pockets and gewgaws it has. As I said, tactics are in the mind and if they're not, your clothes aren't going to help you.

I am quite shocked that anyone in GB would not have their eyes wide open to the effect of clothing in SHTF situation, especially this week.

I believe you had a young man martyred for your nation's service over the tee shirt he chose to wear!

A bad "tactical" choice for that day it would seem. He was also walking alone, unarmed and apparently oblivious to the car about to run him down.

What we refer too as "tactical gear" is equipment designed to enhance the physical tactics promoted by the present military. The "tactics" of the present military are not the tactics of SHTF survival of the prepper.

Just like all military gear down through the ages, it has a specific appearance. The appearance has nothing to do with the abilities of the user, as you have stated, but it does have specific design features that set it apart from everyday average clothing.

SHTF the battlefield is all around you. There are no "front lines" and there are no safe "rear areas." Every waking moment is a tactical experience and your success or death will depend on your heightened state of awareness and training.

A large part of the "tactics" this computer group promotes is "invisibility", blending in and looking unthreatening. Others might call it camouflage, and camo is definitely part of tactics.

Our military spends billions of dollars studying the effects of camo on clothing, vehicles and equipment.

To the urban prepper, camo is total emersion into the appearance of the people around you. That is a tactic and it is in your mind as much as any military SOP ever placed in operation.

The presence of a battle uniform does not make one "tactical", and in turn the absence of a standard military approved battle uniform does not make one less than tactical.

Being a fish swimming in the sea is a standard tactic of guerilla warfare. I fought on three continents and saw only a few people in "uniform". The wore the clothing of the farmers and urbanites around them, making it impossible for me to tell friend from foe, except for the presence of weapons pointed at me.

Women are masters at this activity, especially attractive women. Do I want to stand out, do I want to blend in, how much attention do I want to draw, do I make everyone's jaw drop when I walk in or do I do the wallflower thing?

They are also more aware of how their clothing can place them in danger simply by it's cut and style. I know several women that are in danger every time they leave their flat, just due to their general attractiveness. They are tactical masters, constantly gauging their safety and the surrounding threat level.

Will I be out after dark, where will I park, where is the buss stop, what part of town am I in and how much attention do I want to draw from the local "horndogs"?

They consider sweats and baggy jeans the safest clothing they own.

That's tactics.
27 May 2013, 16:29,
(27 May 2013, 16:11)Mortblanc Wrote: The "tactics" of the present military are not the tactics of the SHTF survival prepper.

SHTF the battlefield is all around you. There are no "front lines" and there are no safe "rear areas." Every waking moment is a tactical experience and your success or death will depend on your heightened state of awareness and training.

couldn't agree more.
27 May 2013, 18:48,
(27 May 2013, 12:45)RoadWarrior Wrote: ........wear camo..wear black....wear a pink/yellow shell suit if you think it hides you or blends you in to the "situation " of the moment. IMHO Big Grin

Pink/Yellow shell suit? What is this? Some kind of Old Compton Street Gay Pride Preppers League?