Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Prepping, focus, directive, desire, and passion
5 June 2013, 12:03,
Prepping, focus, directive, desire, and passion
Hello Everyone

This is an important post, so I hope everyone reads it.

It may well be long, intense, demanding, and stressful. It is not designed to win friends, neither is it hoping to make enemies. This thread is directed to each and everyone on this forum, to give them something to think about, and encouragement in their journey on prepping. The prepping scene on many forums is going the same way as the government and world situation, increasingly negative. As things get worse out there, people's emotions get heavy and that can severely change the direction our prepping takes.

What is prepping?

Prepping is not about collecting tins. It is not about storing water. It's not about going off grid. It's not about moving to the country. It's not about owning the best knife. Okay, so that's just a part of what prepping isn't...damn I need to stay on subject haha.

What is prepping? Prepping is about increasing your chances of survival in any situation that causes danger to your life and wellbeing. Also, to the lives and wellbeing of those we care about. Yes, you can prep for other people.

So, what is the focus of prepping? As already mentioned, it's increasing your chances of survival. So, when you hear people going on about how dangerous it is to live in a city, all they are doing is looking at ways to increase the chances of survival. It's not that they hate cities (okay, maybe some people do hate cities, but you know what I mean).

How do you increase your chances of survival. Well, first off, being aware is a great start. Realising you are in control of your own life, and it's only you who can prioritise your own survival, is a HUGE step forward.

Secondly, learning skills is as important a survival skill as storing beans (sorry Terry) and water. So, should you prioritise one over the other? Absolutely not!!!

The directive of prepping, isn't hugely significant. There is no one authority. There is not a single person who is the be all and end all of prepping. From what we are told, we should not be afraid to research the assumptions and challenge the status-quo. As SD will say, you are not moving forward if you are not making mistakes. Who here can say their first attempt at growing a crop was perfect and super abundant? No, I didn't think so. Life doesn't just happen to fall into place. This especially won't happen when your life is in danger! So, try things out now. Trial and error is a damn good teacher, and it's something you don't want to learn from when your life is on the line. So, the directive of prepping, is having a go and seeing what you can make work.

The desire of prepping is to help stay alive. As has been said many times, survival is great, but living is something else. I don't want to survive, skin and bones, but with a heart beat and breath in my lungs. I want to flourish, eating well, and living a damn good life!!! That's my desire, and if you think about it, it should be near universal. When people are asked "What do you want from life?" The vast majority of people when challenged to their reasoning, say "I want to be happy." That's one of the reasons I want to be richer, to work less and spend more time with my wife, because that's what makes me happy. Inevitably, the root of my desire for wealth is the happiness it brings from being able to see my wife more. So, post SHTF, I assume we all want to be happy! Let's be fair, if I asked you "What do you want from life? Is it to be happy?" You're not going to reply, "No, I want to be miserable!" Okay, so prep to create happiness.

Lastly, passion. This is not something I'm going to bother talking about in any depth at all. If you're on this forum, and you're prepping (not just reading or writing articles, but actually prepping) then you have passion.

Prep as if your life may well depend on it, because....well, you never know.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 June 2013, 12:15, (This post was last modified: 5 June 2013, 12:15 by BeardyMan.)
RE: Prepping, focus, directive, desire, and passion
(5 June 2013, 12:03)Scythe13 Wrote: This is an important post, so I hope everyone reads it.

I know someone won't see it Big Grin

Prepping = adaptability

I'm not good with words
5 June 2013, 12:23,
(5 June 2013, 12:15)BeardyMan Wrote: I'm not good with words

you do pretty good with words, don't let anyone tell you different.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
5 June 2013, 12:53,
(5 June 2013, 12:23)bigpaul Wrote:
(5 June 2013, 12:15)BeardyMan Wrote: I'm not good with words

you do pretty good with words, don't let anyone tell you different.

Big Grin I muddles along best I can
5 June 2013, 13:00,
I agree tigger.

Hoy hoy, is that wife your going on about still the blow up one you had this time last year?

Just with you saying she was tanning in the back garden, I wondered what spray you used for the pvc.......TongueTongueTongueTongue
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...
5 June 2013, 18:14,
(5 June 2013, 13:00)Prepper1 Wrote: Just with you saying she was tanning in the back garden, I wondered what spray you used for the pvc.......TongueTongueTongueTongue

Same stuff I use on the fence....wood varnish! Haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
5 June 2013, 21:21,
A great and much needed post S13, its about time, for a post like this fresh air mate , well said and well done, your timing is perfect ....I know ....I'm a drummer