Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Gamo Pro Hunter Pellets ( 177 Calibre)
8 July 2013, 20:11,
RE: Review of Gamo Pro Hunter Pellets ( 177 Calibre)
I use Defiant air pellets of 5.5 mm size and promethius air bullets for bigger critters

8 July 2013, 20:46,
Pellets are damaged through bad handling not because of a calibre difference, buy a good quality pellet from a reputable supplier and they will come properly wrapped in bubble wrap to take the shock out of the postal system. Buy a cheap crap pellet from a budget supplier and prepare to miss your target.

I've explained the difference between 0.22 and 0.177 before, so won't repeat it all, sufficient to say that competitions based on simulated hunting are all won with 0.177, in fact 0.22 are given their own class because they aren't competitive. I've hunted with both and now exclusively use 0.177 .
8 July 2013, 21:43,
Air rifle field target is that, similated hunting and nothing even remotely realistic, its just shooting critter shaped metal kock down targets, I've hunted since I was 14 ( 56 now) and rely 100% on .22 calibre because frequently 177 pellets passed straight through the woodies, maggies and corvids. The tragectory is more parabolic on 22 but a decent rifleman can adjust his aim accordingly

8 July 2013, 22:00,
(8 July 2013, 20:46)Steve Wrote: Pellets are damaged through bad handling not because of a calibre difference, buy a good quality pellet from a reputable supplier and they will come properly wrapped in bubble wrap to take the shock out of the postal system. Buy a cheap crap pellet from a budget supplier and prepare to miss your target.

I've explained the difference between 0.22 and 0.177 before, so won't repeat it all, sufficient to say that competitions based on simulated hunting are all won with 0.177, in fact 0.22 are given their own class because they aren't competitive. I've hunted with both and now exclusively use 0.177 .

Hi Steve,

The pellets I use are from a reputable supplier and are bubble wrapped. The offending batch were part of a large quantity supplied together and it was only this tin that has such high levels of damage.

As I said, this is my first .177 calibre. It had not occurred to me that the pellets would be more delicate to handle than .22s But its obvious really.

This week I'm trying alternate pellets with the .177 I'm looking forward to greater accuracy and consistency.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

8 July 2013, 22:47,
(8 July 2013, 20:11)Stewart Wrote: try rws superdomes.very good quility and extremly consistant.you get what you pay for.gamos are more for plinking than hunting

i also like the rws. made in germany. i've read that the steel pellets are superior, is that what most of you gentlemen are using?

i recently got into the pellet guns cos of a pesky critter problem.

some pitfalls i ran into along the way: bought 2 BB guns, both useless toys and dont last very long at that. then moved onto a .177 pellet gun. this was useless too as the velocity was too low to even hurt a squirrel, in the 500 fps range. so now i have a .177 with 1200 fps velocity. this rifle does the trick, even using lead pellets. have only had it a couple weeks, but no troubles with accuracy using open sites.

cant speak to the .22 not having had one. bought the second .177 cos i already had loads of pellets.

thanks to all here for the good advice given.
8 July 2013, 23:13,
(8 July 2013, 21:43)NorthernRaider Wrote: Air rifle field target is that, similated hunting and nothing even remotely realistic, its just shooting critter shaped metal kock down targets, I've hunted since I was 14 ( 56 now) and rely 100% on .22 calibre because frequently 177 pellets passed straight through the woodies, maggies and corvids. The tragectory is more parabolic on 22 but a decent rifleman can adjust his aim accordingly

Crap. HFT ( Hunter Field Target ) is the closest you will get to actual air rifle hunting. Targets have somewhat larger kill zones than real quarry, but they are placed at varying distances, angles and in cover. No range-finding is allowed. It's great practice for hunting.

You say that 0.177 pass straight through, it's often true, but is not a problem if you hit the correct kill zone, in the pigeons you mention it's the brain - the pigeon doesn't care if the pellet exits as it has no brain left. Yes, a decent rifleman can adjust his aim to compensate for the 0.22 loopy trajectory - if he knows exactly how far away the target is. In a hunting situation you rarely know the exact distance.

Don't kid yourself that air rifles will deliver "shock" and "trauma", it's all about hitting the vital parts - the brain - and 0.177 is the best tool for the job.

I leave you with a quote from Terry Doe, ex world champion and a man who has shot more than a few rabbits in his time:

Quote:Every highly-experienced airgun hunter I know personally, uses .177 for sub-12 general hunting work.

Fred Carter
Terry Le Chem
George Stevens
Gary Cooper
Nick Jenkinson
Tim Finley
Andy Calpin
Barry Hearn
Steve Newton
Steve Price
Phil Bulmer
Sparky
Mark Fowler
My mate Norman
My other mate Dave who shoots even more rabbits a month than Norman
My Dad
Me.

We're not all using .177 because it makes the job harder, I assure you. Cool
8 July 2013, 23:58,
World champion what?

Never heard of him or any of his possie.

I had supposed the OP was an Olympic champion due to the ability to look down on 2cm groups at 50 yards.

That would equal to putting all your .22 pellets in the same hole at the standard 10m.
9 July 2013, 00:57,
(8 July 2013, 23:58)Mortblanc Wrote: World champion what?

I believe he won the US Field Target nationals in 1989, as well as European and World FT titles.
9 July 2013, 02:51,
??? 1989 ???

No wonder I never heard of him.

In 1989 being air-gun field champ would not draw much attention in the U.S.
9 July 2013, 08:51, (This post was last modified: 9 July 2013, 08:52 by NorthernRaider.)
(8 July 2013, 23:13)Steve Wrote: Crap. HFT ( Hunter Field Target ) is the closest you will get to actual air rifle hunting. Targets have somewhat larger kill zones than real quarry, but they are placed at varying distances, angles and in cover. No range-finding is allowed. It's great practice for hunting.

its not even remotely close, your shooting at totally static metalic targets that are bunny shaped, they are not turning, bending over to feed, snifffing the air scratching themselves, looking around, stretching out to eat a shoot, its about as close as a game of darts.

I prefer marksmen like Bob Dunkley who lives near here, European Combat pistol champion, or Mel Tappan god of survival shooting Smile

(9 July 2013, 00:57)Steve Wrote:
(8 July 2013, 23:58)Mortblanc Wrote: World champion what?

I believe he won the US Field Target nationals in 1989, as well as European and World FT titles.

Not surprised nearly all paper punchers are .177