Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low Information Diet
20 July 2013, 09:15, (This post was last modified: 20 July 2013, 09:16 by Scythe13.)
Low Information Diet
This one will be FUN!!!

For 1 week, turn off the radio, tv, mobile phone and don't buy any newspapers.

Think of it as 1 week of mild 'discomfort' as prepping for life post SHTF.

I'm totally serious about this one. If you won't lose your job as a result of this, then I'd honestly like to recommend giving it a go. That means no games consoles (sorry Beardyman), no CD's, DVD's, not even a cassette player. I don't care if you have batteries, no means no, as in NO TV, or the alike.

Just see how it goes with staying entertained.

It's ONLY 1 week.

This includes, no going to the pub, if it has music or a TV or both. No cinema. Nothing like that.

Enjoy.

Post back how it went.

Also, one more thing, no computer, or Kindle. Yes, that's right, no SUK for 1 week. Sorry SD, I'm not causing a coup, I'm just suggesting an experiment for people to try to see how they cope and how well prepared they are for life post SHTF.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 July 2013, 09:37,
RE: Low Information Diet
sounds doable....apart from the no SUK rule, don't think that's fair....what if you said SUK ONLY....no computer roaming?? all the rest is doable, TV?....tv is rubbish, its all repeats so no problem there, no CD's, no DVD's..no probs, don't have Xboxes or playstations anyway so no probs there. we only buy papers 3 days a week, 2 days when we are out and the other day is the LOCAL papers. not sure about the no radio rule, if you had a battery or wind up radio post shtf you'd be checking that to see if you got any info wouldn't you??
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 July 2013, 10:41,
(20 July 2013, 09:37)bigpaul Wrote: sounds doable....apart from the no SUK rule, don't think that's fair....what if you said SUK ONLY....no computer roaming?? all the rest is doable, TV?....tv is rubbish, its all repeats so no problem there, no CD's, no DVD's..no probs, don't have Xboxes or playstations anyway so no probs there. we only buy papers 3 days a week, 2 days when we are out and the other day is the LOCAL papers. not sure about the no radio rule, if you had a battery or wind up radio post shtf you'd be checking that to see if you got any info wouldn't you??

Sorry mate, SUK won't be up and running, regardless of how hard SD works, he won't be recreating the whole internet within the first 5 days. Also, radios will break, and the noise will attract attention. That's not great. Should only be listened to with headphones (I'll be plugging one headphone in, and keeping one ear free to listen to the world outside). Anyway, batteries will die over time.

As for newspapers...you'll have to give them up for a week, and also talking about what's going on outside in the big wide world too.

Life post SHTF will be as tough, if not tougher, mentally, than it will be physically. I have no doubt about that. But that's the part that seems to be most laughed over and over-looked.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
20 July 2013, 11:20,
(20 July 2013, 10:41)Scythe13 Wrote: Sorry mate, SUK won't be up and running, regardless of how hard SD works, he won't be recreating the whole internet within the first 5 days. Also, radios will break, and the noise will attract attention. That's not great. Should only be listened to with headphones (I'll be plugging one headphone in, and keeping one ear free to listen to the world outside). Anyway, batteries will die over time.

As for newspapers...you'll have to give them up for a week, and also talking about what's going on outside in the big wide world too.

Life post SHTF will be as tough, if not tougher, mentally, than it will be physically. I have no doubt about that. But that's the part that seems to be most laughed over and over-looked.

I've got headphones for the radio and batteries last as long as they last I suppose, all the rest is perfectly doable...even giving up SUK for a week!-forum is quiet anyway. post shtf we'll all be busy anyway, doing stuff just to survive, I suppose boredom would creep in for some people-I think i'll be too busy doing stuff.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
20 July 2013, 13:50, (This post was last modified: 20 July 2013, 13:58 by Mortblanc.)
Before the internet, before TV, before radio and the telephone, before the telegraph, before atomic power, before electricity, before steam power or water wheels or windmills, before all the modern states, before ancient Rome and Greece, before Egypt and Mesopotamia,

There was the PUB!

What makes you think SHTF is going to shut them down?

The PUB is where all the plans are hatching and if you are not there the future will be created without you.

Do you really want that?

the best thing any survivalist can do is not turn off all the modern conveniences, it is to get down to the pub and get to know the community and let them know you.

One most definitely does not want to look up and see the local mob coming with flaming brands and pitchforks to evict the "Weirdo over the Hill" from his hovel because you never stopped in to have a pint.

I spend 4-6 days away from the conveniences about once each month. 10-14 days away from them 4-5 times a year. I did 18 out of 30 days away from modern life in June, have done 4 days in July and have 8 scheduled in August.

That includes away from the running water and flush toilets too.

Fact is, if I turned off all the power and went out into the garden and built a fire, at around dark I would have 6-8 people sitting and standing around talking and passing the time.
20 July 2013, 16:45,
(20 July 2013, 13:50)Mortblanc Wrote: ... the best thing any survivalist can do is not turn off all the modern conveniences, it is to get down to the pub and get to know the community and let them know you...

The time to get to know your neighbors and to let them get to know you is NOW - before the SHTF. (First round is on Mortblanc! Wink)

As far as modern communications and conveniences, after Hurricane Rita (and 10 days of no phone, no electricity, and "iffy" water service, I swore that I would never be without a means of communications again. The folks with current information in a SHTF situation will definitely have a "leg up" on others.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
20 July 2013, 16:58,
(20 July 2013, 16:45)Jonas Wrote: The time to get to know your neighbors and to let them get to know you is NOW - before the SHTF.

sorry JP, I don't know what its like in the state of Texas, but I live on a modern housing estate...not huge smaller than some I have lived on, but I wouldn't trust my neighbours NOW, and i'm sure not going to trust them post shtf.
20 July 2013, 16:59,
I already do most of that. The only sin I have is the Internet and I was without that most of last week. Managed to get online twice.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 July 2013, 17:10,
(20 July 2013, 16:59)Skean Dhude Wrote: I already do most of that. The only sin I have is the Internet and I was without that most of last week. Managed to get online twice.

Next time pay the phone / leccy bill.

20 July 2013, 17:58,
NO you cant make me !!!!
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!