Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ref the debate about packs of feral dogs after TSHTF
25 July 2013, 11:19,
RE: Ref the debate about packs of feral dogs after TSHTF
(24 July 2013, 13:37)Sunna Wrote: thats halal for you ,slit throat bleed to death not stunned 1st most of the 3rd world uses this method Sad

Billions of vegetarian Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs who live in the so called third World would disagree with you there Sunna.
25 July 2013, 11:40,
(25 July 2013, 11:19)Tartar Horde Wrote:
(24 July 2013, 13:37)Sunna Wrote: thats halal for you ,slit throat bleed to death not stunned 1st most of the 3rd world uses this method Sad

Billions of vegetarian Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs who live in the so called third World would disagree with you there Sunna.

yes sorry i was wrong , most of em live here now TongueSmileBig Grin
Survive the jive (youtube )
25 July 2013, 15:48,
Don't travel alone!
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
25 July 2013, 16:53,
that's not always gonna be possible TL. I have come across a few people on various forums who through no fault of their own did not have friends or family around them, maybe our families wont survive the coming "event" and we are left on our own, not moving around just cos we are on our own isn't going to make sense.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 July 2013, 23:50,
I understand that BP. Endevour not to travel alone if packs of wild dogs are around.
Do wild dogs hunt at night? Travel with Night Vision at night might be do-able if the dogs bed down for the night.?? If travelling on ones own, then you could try wrapping a scarf or similar around the neck and wearing a thick jacket that has a high collar. A longer covering like a three quarter length coat would afford some vulnerable softer area protection. If not using close quarter firearms, then a medium size single handed blade/short sword in the main hand and a sizable knife in the offhand would be useful, preferably with a lanyard around the wrist to prevent losing the weapon if knocked down. The face & neck protection is important plus durable gloves. Leg bindings (putees) would be a bonus and also good for general protection walking through rough country. That is why they were a favourite of our ancestors. (Note the post on ticks and other parasites)
Also the dog trainer trick of wrapping the offhand forearm in in layers of material to allow the animal an obvious target if it launches an attack. From here it should be quick to disable it with the main hand weapon.
Edged slashing & stabbing weapons would be more suitable in case of being knocked down and so unable to use the necessary force for an impact weapon. The offhand dagger must be a stabbing blade and the larger main hand more important to be a slashing blade. Combination blades are also desirable.
Expedient shields are good, but some prior rudimentary practice with one would be wise beforehand and also a downside to the shield is that it is not as useful in the hand as a medium to large close quarter pointed knife if you have already been brought to the ground. It is absolutely imperative to disable the immediate aggressor and regain ones footing asap.
Another tip is that canines do not like missiles being thrown at them. Incoming rocks from the biped at a distance are disconcerting for the canine brain and can just possibly put them off or maybe enough to buy some time or to affect the animals concentration while it is closing in for an attack.
Don't forget the age old favourite of fire. Portable fire is handy against animals but also a beacon to other humans. In the same vein a bright light can be used to affect canine night vision and to cause confusion to its senses while attempting to mount an attack.
Has anyone ever tried using a cheap home fire alarm siren unit connected to a small 12volt battery against canines. These sirens give off an uncomfortable level of decibel noise to humans, never mind canines with ultra sensitive hearing. This may be a secret weapon (with other uses?) for the prepper arsenal....? Regards, TL
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
29 July 2013, 09:38,
I wonder how many dogs there will be in the wild post shtf, or will this be an urban thing? if the dogs get into the countryside will they then stay away from human habitation like the wild cats and wild boar do now? of course if we are moving about we have to be prepared for the unexpected and that includes wild dogs.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 July 2013, 14:13,
(29 July 2013, 09:38)bigpaul Wrote: I wonder how many dogs there will be in the wild post shtf, or will this be an urban thing? if the dogs get into the countryside will they then stay away from human habitation like the wild cats and wild boar do now? of course if we are moving about we have to be prepared for the unexpected and that includes wild dogs.

Dont you think maybe the dogs will maybe die off themselves or feed on the dead? I know a lot of dogs will be abandoned due to the scarcity of food etc. Maybe a few will use them to intimidate people too. Poisoning them might also be a suggestion, and that goes for the owners who use them to intimidate!!
29 July 2013, 14:21,
(29 July 2013, 14:13)The Klampits Wrote: Dont you think maybe the dogs will maybe die off themselves or feed on the dead? I know a lot of dogs will be abandoned due to the scarcity of food etc. Maybe a few will use them to intimidate people too. Poisoning them might also be a suggestion, and that goes for the owners who use them to intimidate!!

you only need a few (dogs) to survive and carry on breeding for there to be a problem,a bit like with feral cats, I could see a use for a few dogs if we could get them before they became feral, hunting dogs, guard dogs, ratters that sort of thing.but if they formed into packs then we may have a problem.
29 July 2013, 20:24,
Having dogs around you would also be a deterrent to roaming packs, dogs are like any other creature, they will want the soft targets where possible, a group of people with a few dogs would keep wild packs at bay, I will go to great lengths to look after my Shepherds, they will be worth their weight in gold
A major part of survival is invisibility.
29 July 2013, 22:09,
(29 July 2013, 20:24)Highlander Wrote: Having dogs around you would also be a deterrent to roaming packs, dogs are like any other creature, they will want the soft targets where possible, a group of people with a few dogs would keep wild packs at bay, I will go to great lengths to look after my Shepherds, they will be worth their weight in gold

Unless of course one of your doggies was a bitch in heat !!