Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage
29 June 2013, 17:34,
RE: The Mass Casualty Incident: Triage
I was told a long time ago, a survivor who is sitting up and moaning ISNT the first priority...their obviously awake and breathing,unless they are pumping blood from an aerterial wound, its the ones that are unconscious who need to be checked first....am I right?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
29 June 2013, 19:48,
That was generally what we were told to do BP,.. the guy that is out might have breathing problems, or weak through lose of blood, and maybe close to death if not seen to fast, so he certainly needs to be checked before someone who is clearly conscious and able to move, .....also very often someone who is moaning is also able to talk, so you could be talking to the guy who is moaning asking where he hurts etc , ....while checking the unconscious guy over

...but every situation can be different
A major part of survival is invisibility.
30 June 2013, 06:03,
Jonas, Thank you for this. I find it a very interesting article and needs re-reading many times to get the best understanding of it. It is something that was often done in the days of the Civil Defence exercises. Perhaps when Groups of preppers are large enough they could have exercises with mock casualties (Tomato Ketchup for blood etc. Other mock injuries can be purchased from St. John's Ambulance or Red Cross). I don't understand why the Civil Defence Corps were disbanded. They would have been very useful on many occassions, floods etc.. Kenneth Eames.
21 August 2013, 17:01,
This may be a bit of an ethical thing but it would be interesting to know some answers, I know how to incubate a patient and control their breathing, BUT would I do this ? Would you ?
Bearing in mind wtshtf their may be no help coming, no one may answer when you dial 999, and doing something like this is a phenomenal waste of resources in both supplies and manpower, if it was friends and family then yes I would at least try to help them but strangers ???? I just honestly don't know.
Now I know that is an extreme example but anything where there is a lot of patients will use a lot of supplies, so do you stop and help or do you walk on by ?
21 August 2013, 17:56,
First of all. Not all events are TEOTWAWKI. We could be looking at a major disaster and be helping so help is on its way. It is handy to know these things.

Secondly, and this is one of my issues, when do you use your kit.
Do you keep you bandages until you personally need them. If they are that important what is critical enough to need then, a cut, a major gash, arm missing? If it is a cut and you don't use them you could die of infection. If it is an arm missing, you are likely to die anyway so why use them, save them for someone who has a chance.

It is a difficult one. What exactly is a waste of resources depends on where you are in the scenario.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 August 2013, 18:37,
Thanks for the OP. This was a reprint from their book which I thoroughly recommend.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/09888...UTF8&psc=1

I have also contributed elsewhere on some other threads. Being a prepper does not mean "ME FIRST".
Thats why I have great problems with survivalists.

If I have any speciality that I have 'picked up' and that I am going to use Post TU it's medic.

Triage is going to very importand and you may not have any fancy labels but it doesn't take a genius
to carry around some different coloured Sharpies (Felt tip pens) and mark the forehead.

If you have the kit then use it. That's what its for. Example (even for today). My OH has pain in her face
where the hound jumped on him for fun. Swollen and possible latent infectiom. Question. Do I use some of my supplies
of Antibiotics or save them for another day.

Answer - I need them Now. USe them.
21 August 2013, 19:01,
(21 August 2013, 18:37)River Song Wrote: Example (even for today). My OH has pain in his face where the hound jumped on him for fun. Swollen and possible latent infectiom.

Question. Do I use some of my supplies of Antibiotics or save them for another day...

Answer: OH's may be easier to replace than antibiotics!Big Grin
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
21 August 2013, 20:13,
(21 August 2013, 19:01)Jonas Wrote: Answer: OH's may be easier to replace than antibiotics!Big Grin

Sex can be had anytime - but an OH's love is irreplacable.