Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
To FAC or not to?
15 March 2013, 18:33,
RE: To FAC or not to?
(15 March 2013, 18:30)Jonas Wrote: We're fortunate here in Texas - no license needed to buy a firearm or ammunition, and a strong "castle-doctrine" law which in our town at least has pretty much eliminated the crime of "burglary of an occupied dwelling". As far as a list of gun owners here, the local phone book would probable be as accurate as anything the government could come up with.

no licence there at all they do checks if you have a police record
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 March 2013, 19:43,
As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to gun (anything bigger than a air rifle) I don't have the cash for them and I have no way of justifying having one if I wanted to apply for a license.

Anyway it will probably be easy enough to take one from some idiot after TSHTF. I'll just keep practicing with my bow for now Smile
Winter is coming
16 April 2013, 19:47,
(15 March 2013, 19:43)Hex Wrote: As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to gun (anything bigger than a air rifle) I don't have the cash for them and I have no way of justifying having one if I wanted to apply for a license.

Anyway it will probably be easy enough to take one from some idiot after TSHTF. I'll just keep practicing with my bow for now Smile

let just hope that the first idiot you try and take one off isn't just an idiot but also a bloody good shot and realises there some nutter with a drawn bow heading his wayBig Grin
16 April 2013, 20:01,
(16 April 2013, 19:47)I-K-E Wrote:
(15 March 2013, 19:43)Hex Wrote: As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to gun (anything bigger than a air rifle) I don't have the cash for them and I have no way of justifying having one if I wanted to apply for a license.

let just hope that the first idiot you try and take one off isn't just an idiot but also a bloody good shot and realises there some nutter with a drawn bow heading his wayBig Grin

would not here me coming baby i will be one with the woods become the trees Smile
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
16 April 2013, 21:18,
Any blank ammo is legal to own as long as you are over 18 and it is not over 50 cal in size
Woe to those who add house to house and join field to field, Until there is no more room, So that you have to live alone in the midst of the land!
Isaiah 5:8
16 April 2013, 21:33,
FAC rifles are cheaper than air rifles by quite a bit, shotguns to, indeed £30 will get you a single barrel chinese low quality item.
I would NOT go fac though. I have a small arsenal of air weapons and collecting strung weapons at the moment and that will be all I need for hunting as a tool goes.
Fac have greater ranges and more punch but here's the down fall
1- noise...
Even silenced they give away your position and tactically are a nightmare, people drawn to the bang may attempt to take your weapon (they may have a better rifle and skill to take it from you) and if they aren't interested in the weapon they will certainly want your ammo or the animal you just blasted.
Ammo-
Ammo will become a rarity and a liability, as mentioned your ammo will be desirable by everyone else, if not for their own weapons then as currency to trade food for.
You can as has been mentioned pick up live rifles if TSHTF in a big way anyway.
A non fac rifle can be tuned easily to put out higher powers after laws are no longer a concern (don't do this in 'peace time' or risk a 5 year stretch).
Air rifles are completely silent with a silencer past 50 yards (with the exception of the pellet hitting the target) are accurate in the right hands and ammo is more available and legal to stock pile in infinite amounts to prep. After you use up your pellets ammo is still easily obtained by stripping lead from roofs or wherever you may find it (car exhausts/batteries etc) and casting in a pellet mold.
Learning how to use traps effectively would be the best option for food. Low risk, low profile.
Guns for defence are ok if you leave no survivors otherwise you end up with a mob in your general area trying to separate you from your weapon, causing more problems or a need to bug out again! As an ex soldier I would acquire a weapon and keep at the ready but hidden until society corrected itself or was needed to protect my family at last resort, so for me a tactical shotgun would be my no1 choice.
Flash bangs, cs spray or blocks and other non lethal alternatives would be most worth while to as a deterrent set up at strategic locations if this question was indeed leaning toward the self defence angle.
16 April 2013, 22:18,
Just to correct a couple of things.

They check your safe is secure when you get it installed. They can come around any time they want but mine have only come around at license renewal time to check my firearms and the safe.

Ammo must be stored in a safe, Shotgun cartridges can be in the same safe as the gun but rifles need to have the ammo under another key. No one stop shop. So no storing it in tree stumps unless you want to be illegal.

Luci,

When you are banned from driving you get your license back when it expires. If you were banned for FAC then it should be over by now. Go for a SGC first. It is easier and if you don't get that then you have no chance of a FAC. Try a FAC a few years down the line if you are stillinterested.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
16 April 2013, 22:27,
My dads got the shotgun certificate and is currently getting his fac (waiting reply) fortunately we have place that are suitable to shoot these tools.
Another factor on getting a cert granted is mental health, if you have been diagnosed with depression it may be harder to get but do not lie about it as they will find out and will automatically bar you from approval if you have been dishonest.
Also if you are acquainted with people of interest to the police this will also go against you as will family members with serious criminal convictions.
It is my belief that to be prepared information must be deseminated and distributed as quickly as possible to those that have the ability to teach and deliver those lessons they learn
Those that can not teach must be taught to act that can not act must be protected that would mock ignore and harm be addressed.
24 August 2013, 20:10,
I'm 47 years old.

I've had a FAC and a SGC for over 25 years.

In that time, I have only ever been inspected on renewal of my certificates.

I frequently night shoot, 5-6 times a month, I have yet to be given a tug.

Raised profile on 'the police radar' is a bullshit excuse as is not wanting a licence because it's against my hooman rightsDodgy

Do these people not have driving licences Rolleyes

WaylanderCool
24 August 2013, 21:02,
A driving licence is not going to attract police attention during a period of civil unrest, insurgency, war or other state of emergency, an FAC MAY do so.