Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The cost of prepping
28 August 2013, 08:56,
The cost of prepping
Okay this might not be the whole 'seat of your pants exciting' post. In fact, it's a mundane, close to the heart kind of thing. And in my experience, it's something most people get very upset about, when it's a subject of conversation. But we're all mature enough to truly discuss this subject.

I'm not talking about emotional, lack of night in the city with the misses, or anything like that. I am talking about the cold hard pound. Cash!

The cost of prepping isn't low, which is one of the reasons I did a series of £5 prep ideas for people. To show how easily people can start to build their preps. However, given that some things can be cheap and others free, there are some still that will cost money.

With the above in mind, I just thought I would ask people how they finance their preps. From the dole, retirement, a job, their own business, or even babysitting?

I have a friend who works 9-5 and then does bar work on weekends. The money from his bar work paid for his MMA gear. He would only ever spend that money on fight gear. I spoke with him recently (which reminded me of his finances) and it got me thinking whether it would be worth it for certain preppers to get a part time job where the income goes 100% towards preps.

How do you fund your preps?

Personally, work loads and I'm currently building a business on the side.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
28 August 2013, 09:24,
RE: The cost of prepping
I have a monthly budget and TRY to stick to it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 August 2013, 09:27,
I spank loads each week on stuff. Gear junky.

I earn enough in my normal job not to have to worry too much though, certainly don't need or want another job. Surplus shop made me a few grand before Christmas last year - there'll be a re-opening in the next month or so, when I've sorted out a few things at home.
28 August 2013, 09:36,
(28 August 2013, 09:27)BeardyMan Wrote: Surplus shop made me a few grand before Christmas last year - there'll be a re-opening in the next month or so, when I've sorted out a few things at home.

glad to hear it!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
28 August 2013, 11:48,
If anything were on a lower budget now than when i first started.
So everything is done on a budget.
But we have made the bargain shopping into a competition to see who can spot the best prices.
We double or triple up on those things where we can.
I dont have the option to work extra hours being a single dad.
Yes i do the Ebay thing and even buy things cheaply at the carboot sometimes to sell on ebay.
Iv got a van and in 3 hours i made £50 helping someone move house on Saturday.

I stopped doing my shopping in one supermarket a long time ago and instead we use loads of different shops to find the bargains.
Iv noticed a change in peoples attitude when they are literally fighting at the reduced counter.

I dont know about everyone else but for some reason i get the feeling of urgency to get supplies in more now than i did 12 months ago?
So i try to do what ever i can where i can.
28 August 2013, 12:51,
I don't want another job as the tax would be prohibitive i'm also obligated to declare it at my current job because what i do is safety critical and they are obliged to monitor my periods of rest. not been prepping long but i have a fair amount of camping/army surplus gear allready that is suitable , i've been treating myself to a new Teng toolkit peice by peice this last 4 years and i'm nearly done (just need bolt crops and prybars now...new requirement since joining this forumShy) so the cash i've been laying out every month on tools will be diverted to prepping.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
28 August 2013, 14:11,
Job funds my stuff also look for deals and make stuff.
What's the new business idea scythe?
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

28 August 2013, 20:10,
Own biz BUT no biz at the moment ...you can always find stuff to do without money...blackberry jam okay bit of sugar but it keeps me motovated and busy, and this place always needs something dolng , all said and done S13 we all need money to live let alone preps .......wieghed in some scrap 41 smackers off to aldis Friday WOW
28 August 2013, 20:23,
'Midnitemo'
I'm Pink therefore i'm Spam

Lovvit, took me two days to get it though!!.

Who said it Descarte or Delmonte ? Smile
28 August 2013, 22:01, (This post was last modified: 28 August 2013, 22:02 by Prepper1.)
I adore spam... cant stop eating the damn stuff....definitely food of the gods...

I keep buying it for my stores but keep eating it... damn....

pound shop, pound a tin...
I tried to be normal once.... Worst two minutes of my life...