Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pistol Crossbow
26 October 2013, 01:07,
RE: Pistol Crossbow
Will these be the only weapons you have? is the list cumulative or to pick the best one from? Will you have assistance in defence from family or friends at the immediate time? Is the door you are talking about, the front door or an internal room door like an upstairs bedroom?
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"
26 October 2013, 14:56,
River,

You need to take the advice given and apply it to your situation. £130 can get you the door wedges, lots of nails for plants, nets and a few bits of wood for spears plus a hammer. No need for anything else but if there is then it is a bonus. Use it first and then switch to the rest. You need to decide where they are best deployed and thus where you are going to mae your stand. Don't forget if you plan right you gan do this at each entry point and then fall back to the stairs and do it again at the top of the stairs.

Only you know your location well enough to make these decisions.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 October 2013, 18:07,
(26 October 2013, 00:37)River Song Wrote: When someone is batteringt down the door. Pistil Bow + Paint Gun + Knife on Broom handle + a few other things by the door - I reckon will do it.

Pistol bow (1 shot) + Paint Gun (Doesn't Hurt) + Knife on Broom handle (unless you've trained with a full staff then give this a miss) = you're just going to annoy people.

Seriously, you'd be better off with some sort of pressurised container full of, oh, I don't know, maybe some petrol and some polystyrene, and a lighter.

Just remember to use it outside.
1 November 2013, 00:35,
Spent a day playing with one of the 50lb ones. It would not penetrate a windscreen at 90 degrees so I would not trust it against skulls or sternums.

Bows take you down through blood loss, firearms through ballistic shock. Unless you have accidentally hit a major blood vessel, you have just made someone angry and given them something point to stab you with.

You also need to think about how dishing hardcore violence is going to effect you. For the vast majority who have never encountered such a thing, you will fluff your first shot badly, pee down your leg and then curl up in a ball waiting to be kicked to death.

You would be better off with a good catapult and some BB's than a pistol xbow for many reason.
1 November 2013, 09:10,
...buy a dog,.......... I have to admit, I first bought a pistol crossbow as something the o/h could manage in some sort of self defense role, but I dont think its the answer either,... I am thinking of looking towards self defense sprays,... a reasonable range on many of them, enough in them to make someone back off, [at least temporally ],...and `multi shot
A major part of survival is invisibility.
1 November 2013, 21:19,
(1 November 2013, 09:10)Highlander Wrote: ...buy a dog,.......... I have to admit, I first bought a pistol crossbow as something the o/h could manage in some sort of self defense role, but I dont think its the answer either,... I am thinking of looking towards self defense sprays,... a reasonable range on many of them, enough in them to make someone back off, [at least temporally ],...and `multi shot

I took some mosquito spray in the face las year stung like hell. I have be told brake fluid is nasty as we're taking SHTF situations and hyperthetical anything goes
Luck Favours the Prepared Incredibles
1 November 2013, 21:32,
Raid fly and wasp spray, the one you use on wasps nests is supposed to be very effective
A major part of survival is invisibility.
4 November 2013, 21:33,
(1 November 2013, 00:35)BDG Wrote: Bows take you down through blood loss, firearms through ballistic shock. Unless you have accidentally hit a major blood vessel, you have just made someone angry and given them something point to stab you with.

You would be better off with a good catapult and some BB's than a pistol xbow for many reason.
You criticise the crossbow for not doing enough damage and then suggest a BB from a catapult!?

A crossbow bolt is unlikely to stop/kill someone instantly but it is very likely to at least crack a rib (if not break the rib or puncture the lung).
Find a friend who has cracked a rib at some point and ask them if they thought they could win a fist fight immediately after they cracked it. Most people can't even bear to breathe without one hand supporting the cracked rib (until it's strapped up).
Doctor Prepper: What's the worst that could happen?
5 November 2013, 03:19,
(4 November 2013, 21:33)Skvez Wrote: Find a friend who has cracked a rib at some point and ask them if they thought they could win a fist fight immediately after they cracked it.

I've cracked/broken ribs on two occasions and after that, I think I'd call it a day, never mind the frothing blood from the punctured lung...

9 November 2013, 01:52, (This post was last modified: 9 November 2013, 01:54 by Timelord.)
Throw a teacup. It will be just as effective.! Cracked skull, broken ribs, smashed nose, impacted eye? surely no one would think of pressing an attack after any one of those "potentially" mortal injuries.. The pain would be just too much.. ask anyone with a cracked skull if they would continue a fight if they had the choice...
Really?? maybe a stilletto heel mounted on a broomstick would be more effective.. Imagine a hit with that.. definitely a fight stopper dont you think?? How would anyone want to fight with a stilleto heel stuck in them?? Frightening..
Tactically compromised, low impact, bleed out/critical hit luck roll weapons are not a good choice. Why not just select a weapon that does the job a lot better and does not rely on lady luck for a large chunk of its probability? If the dice roll is unfavourable, then the likelihood is that you have given away any advantage you might have had - to the attacker
yes this was sarcastic. Sorry for that. It just seems that practical fact based education is for some and not for others.

and then there is "multiple assailants".. Did some of you miss out the earlier replies dealing with this issue??
"How far back in time do you think our future will be?"