Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cool Basha Mod
27 December 2013, 00:03,
Cool Basha Mod
Just doing my usual Heinnie Haynes browsing and came across this little beauty: http://www.heinnie.com/Tents-and-Shelter...341-10218/

Okay, it's nothing amazing, but it has given me an idea to modify my basha with a couple of little triangles.

When I put the extra material on the sides, I plan to leave the basic basha material overlapping by about an inch. So there will be a 1 inch overhang on the main 'roof' of the shelter. The idea is that if I use the basha as just a squared system, I will not have to worry about the triangles diverting the run off under the main roof.

I understand that I'm not great at explaining this. When I do it, it'll make more sense.

What do you think of the idea?

Might even go for a colourless see-through material.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 December 2013, 00:29,
RE: Cool Basha Mod
I can never understand that when someone comes up with something `special` it always seems to cost the earth,.. Scythe, would you really pay out that much cash for this when you could do the same with a standard tarp?,... if you want what you are talking about all you have to do is drop the ends of the tarp to achieve the same results,... and if its not as good, its a damn sight better than £134... Smile
A major part of survival is invisibility.
27 December 2013, 01:08,
HL, I think you may have missed a chunk of my post mate.

(27 December 2013, 00:03)Scythe13 Wrote: Okay, it's nothing amazing, but it has given me an idea to modify my basha with a couple of little triangles.

When I put the extra material on the sides, I plan to leave the basic basha material overlapping by about an inch. So there will be a 1 inch overhang on the main 'roof' of the shelter. The idea is that if I use the basha as just a squared system, I will not have to worry about the triangles diverting the run off under the main roof.

I understand that I'm not great at explaining this. When I do it, it'll make more sense.

What do you think of the idea?

Might even go for a colourless see-through material.

It'll probably cost me about £10-£15 to do the mod. It just adds extra weatherproofing while keeping the same 'dry-footprint' for the wife and me. That's all.
27 December 2013, 11:26, (This post was last modified: 27 December 2013, 11:28 by Highlander.)
I realise that you are not buying the basha you showed, but at the moment I dont see the advantage of trying to add material to your existing basha when you can do the same by dropping the corners of it, one of the advantages of having a large enough tarp is that all all these shapes can be achieved without adding extra

...but you need a large enough tarp to start with of course
27 December 2013, 11:36,
(27 December 2013, 11:26)Highlander Wrote: ...but you need a large enough tarp to start with of course

I have a solo size tarp. Nothing massive. It was initially planned for just me, but then a wife, and now the wife wants to bring along our 3 dogs. The extra material will allow the same size waterproof area, but with added protection on the sized.

Tarp was initially the right size, until marriage and dogs haha. Should probably have made that clear in first post. Sorry mate.
27 December 2013, 11:40,
Ok,.. with me and my three dogs I understand that,.. but that was why I purchased a large enough camouflaged tarp to start with... so there Tongue
27 December 2013, 11:44,
Sounds like you will have a full house LOL!!

If you haven't already seen anything similar, have a look at the following webpage for some inspiration as to what can be achieved with a standard shaped square/rectangular tarp:

http://www.ddhammocks.com/tips/tarp-tutorial

For me, if you plan on adding material to an existing tarp, why add funny shaped bits to it, why not just increase the overall size of the tarp as it will ultimately provide more protection and give greater flexibility as to how you use it...
27 December 2013, 12:12,
Also, I just think it looks cool.
27 December 2013, 13:47,
Cool... cool is good too
27 December 2013, 20:59,
Absolutely hilarious! It's like reading a foreign language.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.