Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are the Land owners?
7 April 2014, 12:46,
Who are the Land owners?
Hi everyone. I was wondering how you go about finding out who owns pieces of land out in the sticks? Not fields and farmland as such but the apparently wild, overgrown wooded areas in all the spaces between towns and villages etc. Say I wanted to go out camping with my son to practice bushcraft skills I would want to be able to light fires, fish, build shelters and stuff without risking getting into bother like trespassing and cries of "Get orf moi laaaand!"
I mean, where can you go carrying knives and fire starting kits without getting hassled by anyone?

Cheers!
7 April 2014, 13:18,
RE: Who are the Land owners?
(7 April 2014, 12:46)Razoromero Wrote: Hi everyone. I was wondering how you go about finding out who owns pieces of land out in the sticks? Not fields and farmland as such but the apparently wild, overgrown wooded areas in all the spaces between towns and villages etc. Say I wanted to go out camping with my son to practice bushcraft skills I would want to be able to light fires, fish, build shelters and stuff without risking getting into bother like trespassing and cries of "Get orf moi laaaand!"
I mean, where can you go carrying knives and fire starting kits without getting hassled by anyone?

Cheers!

The further into the 'wilderness' you go, the less chance there is of being hassled.

If you can find a national park, check the rules and see what they say. For example, on Dartmoor you can't have an open fire unless in designated areas. So it makes sense to find those areas and work accordingly.

One great trick, go to meets where people are testing their BOB's. Usually they'll be in places that allows for these skills to be practiced. If you have a garden, that's still a step in the right direction.

Personally, I shoot on a lot of land, rabbits, rats, and other pest control. So I have got to know a lot of land owners that way.

Quite often, if you just pop over to a farm house and talk to a farmer, you'd be surprised how cool some of them are.

One guy lets me go out and shoot for as long as I want, providing I drop him a text saying when I'll be down there. Then as long as I'm not stupid with fires and the alike, he's cool to let me do whatever. He said he was going to pop over next time I'm out and about and join in. Other farmers have just told me to bugger off. But you never know, unless you try.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 13:23,
ALL land is owned by someone, camp without permission and you are trespassing, a civil offence, for land ownership check out LAND REGISTRY.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 13:25,
Scotland, you can camp legally almost anywhere up there because they cocked up on a law they passed which allows folks to camp just about any place so long as you do not cause an obstruction.

Some Nat parks designate camping sites for overnight expeditions as well.

7 April 2014, 16:45, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 17:17 by Midnitemo.)
If you just want to get a feel for camping start with an organised camp site the only problem is none of these will want you digging a firepit having a fire or altering the environment in any way...tis a good start for a couple of trips just to get a basic feel for it then look for common land(this usually has byelaws against camping but is seldom enforced,just be discreet) or you can just guerilla camp....has its risks but if you're carefull its fine...if you get caught you generally just leave with a flea in your ear unless you've caused damage (which you absolutely shouldn't do anyway)

Don't take a shotgun / airifle etc as armed tresspas is whole load of woe you don't want.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 April 2014, 23:55, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 23:57 by Razoromero.)
(7 April 2014, 16:45)Midnitemo Wrote: If you just want to get a feel for camping start with an organised camp site the only problem is none of these will want you digging a firepit having a fire or altering the environment in any way...tis a good start for a couple of trips just to get a basic feel for it then look for common land(this usually has byelaws against camping but is seldom enforced,just be discreet) or you can just guerilla camp....has its risks but if you're carefull its fine...if you get caught you generally just leave with a flea in your ear unless you've caused damage (which you absolutely shouldn't do anyway)

Don't take a shotgun / airifle etc as armed tresspas is whole load of woe you don't want.

Common Land, that's the term I was looking for, cheers. I'll see what I can find near me.

(7 April 2014, 13:25)NorthernRaider Wrote: Scotland, you can camp legally almost anywhere up there because they cocked up on a law they passed which allows folks to camp just about any place so long as you do not cause an obstruction.

Some Nat parks designate camping sites for overnight expeditions as well.

Scotland does have some lovely wilderness but it's a bit of a trek for me I'm afraid!
8 April 2014, 01:24,
See if this is any use:

http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisur...mping.html
8 April 2014, 22:48,
(8 April 2014, 01:24)Devonian Wrote: See if this is any use:

http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisur...mping.html

Ah, cheers mate,that was definitely a useful link.
There should be an extra bit at the end of the code of conduct part saying... "Unless of course, you're a pikey, in which case you can do whatever the hell you like, anywhere you want leaving all manner of mess and junk laying around with not a care in the world!"
29 May 2021, 22:58,
(7 April 2014, 12:46)Razoromero Wrote: Hi everyone. I was wondering how you go about finding out who owns pieces of land out in the sticks? Not fields and farmland as such but the apparently wild, overgrown wooded areas in all the spaces between towns and villages etc. Say I wanted to go out camping with my son to practice bushcraft skills I would want to be able to light fires, fish, build shelters and stuff without risking getting into bother like trespassing and cries of "Get orf moi laaaand!"

Cheers!

In the UK? The Crown owns it.
Ask a barrister about freehold laws concerning your home - you may be in for a fright, friend.
30 May 2021, 02:14,
In the USA, particularly in the west, most undeveloped land is owned by the Federal government and managed by either the Bureau of Land Management, US Forest Service, or by tribal governments on the reservations. East 8f the Mississippi state governments own and manage large tracts not privately owned or controlled by the Feds. Where I live in West Virginia state game management areas and forest lands are open to public use for recreational purposes, hiking, hunting, camping and fishing. Overnight camping is usually restricted to designated areas, but backcountry use permits can be obtained for wilderness exploration, cross country skiing,mountaineering, etc. Mostly they want to know your area of operation for rescue purposes. It isn't kosher to set up a permanent camp or build cabin, but if you move every week or so and clean up your camp, remove all trash and debris, leaving the area as you find it, there is seldom an issue. In hard times I've known people who relocated to their hunting camp or lived in a cave for a year or more. I permitted a fellow I knew well to squat on my land in exchange for him cutting wood for me, doing some bush hogging and tending a shared garden. We shared some good times until he sorted out his situation and moved back into town with a new wife.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA