Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
7 April 2014, 14:21, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 14:23 by Scythe13.)
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
(7 April 2014, 14:14)NorthernRaider Wrote: People can call themselves what they like, just cos they talk the talk doesn't mean they walk the walk.

That's one of the reasons we like to get out and practice. Talking is easy. Walking is much more fun!

WOW, this is so far off subject now!

For the first time in about 3 years, I am agreeing with NR, and vice versa, and BM and BP are arguing.

This is weird.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 14:25,
(7 April 2014, 14:20)BeardyMan Wrote: [quote='bigpaul' pid='80318' dateline='1396876267']
[quote='Scythe13' pid='80315' dateline='1396876007']

Firstly, I don't think they'd burry their dead under their floorboards.

firstly they didn't have floorboards, they had earthen floors and secondly round houses have been excavated with the dead just under the floor, yes I know this wasn't a roundhouse it was made of stone-but that is the local building material on the moors.

(7 April 2014, 14:09)BeardyMan Wrote: That wasn't in "the country", that was in "the 3rd world country"...

I lived in the Fens for 25(ish) years.

if you say so, but we have no way of knowing do we? like NR says, on an internet forum we have no way of knowing if people are what they say they are, I have found they are usually nothing of the sort.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 14:27,
(7 April 2014, 14:25)bigpaul Wrote: if you say so, but we have no way of knowing do we? like NR says, on an internet forum we have no way of knowing if people are what they say they are, I have found they are usually nothing of the sort.

That's why meets are important. You get to know what people are really like.
7 April 2014, 14:28, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 14:29 by bigpaul.)
(7 April 2014, 14:27)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 14:25)bigpaul Wrote: if you say so, but we have no way of knowing do we? like NR says, on an internet forum we have no way of knowing if people are what they say they are, I have found they are usually nothing of the sort.

That's why meets are important. You get to know what people are really like.

you aint wrong there!!!!

why do you think I've been pushing RV's for the last 5 years!!!Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 14:35,
(7 April 2014, 14:28)bigpaul Wrote: why do you think I've been pushing RV's for the last 5 years!!!Big Grin

You should stay over longer. You provide so much information online, it would be good to get more info from you first hand.
7 April 2014, 14:45, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 14:54 by bigpaul.)
well someone else has asked me to provide a list of names of people who might be interested in an informal "brain storming"(his words not mine) session in the near future at a time and place as yet to be decided, trouble is on a national forum peeps are so spread out that's not any easy thing to do.

it will be ALL about prepping and survivalism, NOT camping in the woods.
7 April 2014, 15:06,
(7 April 2014, 14:45)bigpaul Wrote: it will be ALL about prepping and survivalism, NOT camping in the woods.

Speaking of which mate, you've not answered why survival skills is not a part of prepping and survivalism yet mate.
7 April 2014, 15:10,
(7 April 2014, 15:06)Scythe13 Wrote:
(7 April 2014, 14:45)bigpaul Wrote: it will be ALL about prepping and survivalism, NOT camping in the woods.

Speaking of which mate, you've not answered why survival skills is not a part of prepping and survivalism yet mate.

yes I did, I said skills like knowing which wild plants are edible, which woods burn well, how to trap and snare are all useful skills but they are not the be all and end all. same as a shed load of tins is not the answer either.
7 April 2014, 15:16,
(7 April 2014, 15:10)bigpaul Wrote: yes I did, I said skills like knowing which wild plants are edible, which woods burn well, how to trap and snare are all useful skills but they are not the be all and end all. same as a shed load of tins is not the answer either.

I don't think anyone has said that it is the be all and end all.

In my post about "For Bushcraft" I explained in there that it's a last ditch thing, not a primary option. At no point have I, or anyone else that I know of, said that the only thing there is to survivalism/prepping is bushcraft/wilderness survival skills. As a statement, saying it is the be all and end all would simply be rediculous.

Where did you get the idea that I, or anyone else thought that?

Same question to you NR. You're being cool with me today, so I'd love a quick heads up why you thought my view of Bushcraft was that it was the be all and end all, unless I've just got the wrong end of the stick.

To say that learning bushcraft and survival skills is not prepping is a very blanket statement. It is a part of prepping and survivalism though. NR said they were useful skills, and he's right. But they are also a part of prepping, albeit not an all encompassing system of prepping.

Having said that, it is possible to develop bushcraft skills to the point where they can hugely compensate for any lacking preps that you may have, e.g. lack of food, first aid, heat, shelter, etc. But there are MANY other options to encompass this.
7 April 2014, 15:20,
Yes, camping and bushcraft skills make up a part of prepping and survivalism, only a part but all skills that are going to be usefull are if combined with others to allow you to survive. If you dont choose to include certain skills in your preps, doesnt mean it isn't a bigger part of someone elses. We all prepare in different ways that work for us which means to some these skills are an important part of prepping.