Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
7 April 2014, 16:48,
RE: Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism? Your Views
(7 April 2014, 13:43)bigpaul Wrote: permanent solution is a post SHTF "civilisation".

In which case BP, you must recognise the massive role that people like BM would play in rebuilding society? A person skilled at trading would be key to the rebuilding of society. Many lone-wolves would not create a "civilisation" as by definition they would be alone, and not breeding, and thus the human race would end.

It is the trader, the deal maker, the person with multiple skills, that will survive the best. Adding business skills to your list would be of huge benefit when dealing with another group of people, and when negotiation various deals to grow a society where people work together. Even the Armish system requires people to work together in a multiplicital deal...someone had to originally build the terms of that agreement.

Bushcraft is not the be all and end all, but if a person is able to buy and sell, there is no reason they cannot have other skills. Bill Gates can build a successful business, run a charity, and heliski. He can also buy the side of a mountain and build a house/bunker into the side of it, that will provide much better protection than any of us are able to get...mainly because he's made it strong enough to withstand a direct strike from a missile.

Don't get caught into the trap of thinking because a person has 1 skill, it doesn't mean that is the only skill they have.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
7 April 2014, 16:55,
(7 April 2014, 16:48)Scythe13 Wrote: In which case BP, you must recognise the massive role that people like BM would play in rebuilding society? A person skilled at trading would be key to the rebuilding of society. Many lone-wolves would not create a "civilisation" as by definition they would be alone, and not breeding, and thus the human race would end.

It is the trader, the deal maker, the person with multiple skills, that will survive the best. Adding business skills to your list would be of huge benefit when dealing with another group of people, and when negotiation various deals to grow a society where people work together. Even the Armish system requires people to work together in a multiplicital deal...someone had to originally build the terms of that agreement.

Don't get caught into the trap of thinking because a person has 1 skill, it doesn't mean that is the only skill they have.

I agree with you Scythe..............I think? a trader would not only trade goods he could also take the news and gossip from one settlement to another. settlements will need people will different skills, butcher, baker, blacksmith, wheelright, builder, gardener, cooks etc.etc.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 17:02,
(7 April 2014, 16:55)bigpaul Wrote: I agree with you Scythe..............I think? a trader would not only trade goods he could also take the news and gossip from one settlement to another. settlements will need people will different skills, butcher, baker, blacksmith, wheelright, builder, gardener, cooks etc.etc.

A trader could also be a carpenter, blacksmith, hunter, butcher, first aider, cook, harvester, or anything like that too. Don't just pigeon hole people to stick to one skill as all they have.

Underestimate and you could lead to a hell of a problem.

Just because I'm into my fitness, I can still shoot well. Ask SD, or any of the farmers I shoot for. I can also butcher, and do some pretty good first aid (self experimentation of course helps improve the skills for this one haha).

Having 1 skill does not mean that's your ONLY skills.

If a person can make a bow, it does not mean they can't use the bow.

Traders, or entrepreneurs, are jacks of many trades, in my experience.
7 April 2014, 17:11,
(7 April 2014, 17:02)Scythe13 Wrote: Traders, or entrepreneurs, are jacks of many trades, in my experience.
I think your mixing up the two but I see what you mean. however I think a trader in a post SHTF world would have his hands full just being a trader going from one settlement to another, maybe due to what they would have to use for transport, they could be an equine expert, a wheelright, a leather maker, a cart maker or repairer, maybe a butcher, there are so many skills they could learn but they would have to be learnt NOW not after TSHTF...I believe then would be too late what with trying to survive as well.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
7 April 2014, 17:52, (This post was last modified: 7 April 2014, 17:57 by Midnitemo.)
I'd say yes its a part of the whole...we just all choose to prioritise on different area's , i like camping for the fresh air and time away from the pressures of life but the stuff i know whilst i consider it usefull i don't place a huge value on it in the context of my own plans and idea's...i guess its importance to you depends on your plans and beliefs for the future to come.

on weighted marches water was what we carried as you could drink or dump it for an easier time provided you could refill near the end of the march, some crows got caught and it went back to rocks/bricks...sadly this might have saved the guy's who died on the fandance had this still been allowedSad
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
7 April 2014, 19:50,
Camping and bushcraft skills are simply another element in "the toolbox," like hunting, fishing, foraging and farming. All compliment one another. You never know when a seldom-usex skill may make the difference between suffering and perseverence.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
7 April 2014, 20:33,
(7 April 2014, 17:11)bigpaul Wrote: I think your mixing up the two but I see what you mean. however I think a trader in a post SHTF world would have his hands full just being a trader going from one settlement to another, maybe due to what they would have to use for transport, they could be an equine expert, a wheelright, a leather maker, a cart maker or repairer, maybe a butcher, there are so many skills they could learn but they would have to be learnt NOW not after TSHTF...I believe then would be too late what with trying to survive as well.

And what's to say that BM is just a one trick pony? He won't be JUST a trader. He might well have a shop, but he's got more skills than just buying and selling.
7 April 2014, 23:36,
Who knew this would spark such a lively debate? Writing about bushcraft & survival skills...
on a bushcraft discussion area...
with the subheading "Main discussion area for all the survival and prepping topics."...
on a site called Survival UK that has a picture of trees and green stuff at the top which looks quite 'bushcrafty'

At the risk of sounding like a peace loving hippy, there's no need for all the negativity, man! Bushcraft and prepping all come under the same general umbrella of preparing for all kinds of scenarios.

Have a good night everyone, see you soon. Peace out!
8 April 2014, 00:02,
History, that's what you need. Want to know what it is like without electricity or cars or Starbucks? Read up on your history, we've been there before. Society has been about for millenium and TSHTF many times over. How did our ancestors adapt and overcome? History means you have hindsight and can learn from others mistakes.
Of course camping and bushcraft is part of prepping and survivalism. But it is just a part and you need lots of other parts to make a whole. Jack of all trades, master of none is a good place to be. Better than master of one, severely short everywhere else.
“In the long history of humankind those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed” Charles Darwin
8 April 2014, 02:00,
Is Camping and Bushcraft a part of prepping and survivalism?

A "part" of it? - Yes.

A useful skill? - Yes.

But is it something you are likely to need to rely upon for your survival following an event, in the UK? - No.

Why? Very simply because the UK is way to developed and urbanised. Even in rural Devon; Wales; or the North East, you will never "realistically" be more than a couple of miles from some form of more robust shelter, be it a factory; warehouse; barn; farm house; office block; house; stable block; school; garden shed; vehicle etc etc etc. Living in a tent; debris shelter; hammock or hole in the ground is not going to be viable for more than a few days. And even if you are talking about a few days or even a few weeks, then people with no experience of bushcraft or camping will still get by, humans are a resourceful bunch (ignoring the hoards who obviously stay put waiting to be rescued!!) when their chips are down.

Then when it comes to hunting and trapping, the UK is not like the US or Canada or Australia, we do not have a countryside teaming with large amounts of game and what is present will be taken by those armed with rifles and shotguns, rather than those using the bushcraft techniques of snaring and trapping etc.

So whilst yes whilst having knowledge and experience of camping and bushcraft techniques is undoubtedly a useful skillset to have, the benefit of it if the modern world 'After' an event will be limited.

From a survival perspective; the ability to source and obtain food and supplies from an urban environment, and within this I would include small towns and villages, would be a far better and more useful skillset to possess after any kind of event.

So rather than knowing how to set a snare, make a bow, construct a shelter; how about developing your 'urbancraft' instead, such as being able to source water in an urban environment (think manhole keys); how to stealthily open a locked door (bump keys); where to look for non-obvious sources of food......... etc etc........