Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please break apart my idea and find as many faults as you can.
1 May 2014, 12:20,
Please break apart my idea and find as many faults as you can.
Okay, this is going to suck, but I need it done.

At our house we have plenty of provisions to last a hell of a long time. But when things turn bad, we'll be bugging out to a position where we'll be hidden, but still be able to maintain observation over our home.

Although we'll not be using massive distances for the initial bug out, we'll be far enough away to not be likely to be 'stumbled across'. Plus we'll be hidden and have a low profile.

Once things die down, we'll return home. We have 6 routes back and forth, from our BOL. There will be fresh water relatively close by, as well as stored food caches hidden around.

The area will be good for trapping and foraging, while also showing very little human footfall.

Having said all this, road access to and from our house is very limited, and protecting the entrance in and out would be simple enough. The neighbours all grow plenty of their own food, and we have a couple of preppers VERY CLOSE by (a few houses away actually haha). So if we needed to stay put, we'd be able to, and be able to protect the street.

Water collection for all the families might be the largest issue, and providing food for everyone is not an option, although there are a few that I know are good hunters...although they could well be viewed as a threat.

There are a few allotmants in the area that could be commendeered easily enough and the fencing easily secured and controlled.

Input and breaking down my ideas would be good.

What do you suggest, and what other issues should I be thinking about?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 May 2014, 12:23,
RE: Please break apart my idea and find as many faults as you can.
When you say you can maintain observation
what distance are we talking about?

Water Collection - consider water butts with rain from the roof and then
filter it
1 May 2014, 12:34,
(1 May 2014, 12:23)River Song Wrote: When you say you can maintain observation
what distance are we talking about?

Water Collection - consider water butts with rain from the roof and then
filter it

Looking at about 1.2 miles as the crow flies. But it's just a temporary location. Because of the area, I don't think things will be bad for long. Will be looking at being able to move back in within a couple of months.

With the water collection, if we do 'communally defend' then we'll need a lot of water for everyone together. So having all the storage systems ready to deploy would look very odd!
1 May 2014, 12:39,
invest mate go under ground ,bunker and the like
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
1 May 2014, 12:43,
First of all what type of event(s) are you planning for that you feel will necessitate leaving your home (and supplies) and bugging out, which would not leave you at greater risk at your BOL?
1 May 2014, 12:53,
(1 May 2014, 12:43)Devonian Wrote: First of all what type of event(s) are you planning for that you feel will necessitate leaving your home (and supplies) and bugging out, which would not leave you at greater risk at your BOL?

I'm working on a civil unrest kind of scenario. However, the bug out plan will be pretty much the same, regardless of the event. Only difference would be biological or nuclear.
1 May 2014, 12:57,
Observation - If the money was there, I'd put a camera up a pole and monitor it from your remote
using Point-to-Point 802.11 Links - total cost around £180

Water - I guess that massive collection would look odd but my response might be "you wanna drink or what".

Could investigate underground/covered IBC Tanks

You might also look at this commercial rainwater harvesting offering. It may be far too expensive but it may give some ideas.

http://www.mygroupea.co.uk/themes/mygroup/img/KSW.pdf
1 May 2014, 13:02,
(1 May 2014, 12:57)River Song Wrote: Could investigate underground/covered IBC Tanks

You might also look at this commercial rainwater harvesting offering. It may be far too expensive but it may give some ideas.

I'm looking at actually getting a load of pond liner material to build a massive pond, if anything was to happen.

With the IBC's, we're hoping to get 3 (2 more to go) for water collection, maybe sneak a 4th for water, and at least 1 extra for an aquaponic system.
1 May 2014, 13:24,
With regards to using IBC for aquaponic - check out ..

http://www.resiliencematrix.com/aquaponi...te-course/

Allons-y
1 May 2014, 13:43,
OK, reason for asking the previous question was that most civil unrest 'normally' occurs around town centres and not in the suburbs etc and from what I know of you, I'm pretty sure you do not live in a town centre.....

So any civil unrest that is likely to affect you, is realistically going to be short lived and pass through your area pretty quickly, would you not agree?

Therefore I see 2 options, you (preferably with your neighbours) work to protect your properties and to get any mobs etc either past or turn away from your area.

Or if this is not practical (or safe) to do, then you secure your property as best you can and then leave with a view to returning soon (ie: within hours) to expel any remaining drifters/hanger ons.... You may not even need to go to your BOL?

Unless your BOL is a fully equipped and secure property in which you can live a fairly normal life (given the circumstances) then the idea of abandoning your property especially given how much work you have put into your preps would be a nightmare scenario for me.

So what I would be concentrating on next is security/fortifications (ie: high ornamental but solid steel railings at the front of the house, window shutters etc) and things like fire prevention such as sufficient extinguishers etc. You basically want the place as secure and safe as possible.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth....