Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lidl: electric chain saws for £49.99
24 August 2015, 12:50,
Lidl: electric chain saws for £49.99
as from next Monday 31st August.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
24 August 2015, 19:05,
RE: Lidl: electric chain saws for £49.99
I have picked up a couple of these bargain basement electric chains saws over the years and find them of very poor quality and no durability.

In this particular area of endeavor I support the old rule of buying quality, mostly because when I need a chainsaw I need it right now, I need it to work, and nothing else will get the job done.

One of my neighbors has a Remington electric CS that we have used the crap out of. He and I have dispatched several storm damaged trees using my Homlite gas saw and his Remington. The Remington will almost keep up with my gas saw and is lighter. If it were not for the need to drag bout 100feet of electric cord I would say he had the better saw.
24 August 2015, 20:43,
The best thing about electric chainsaws is that you can use them indoors ( shed, not house ) without gassing yourself. Second best thing - quiet.

I suppose that in a SHTF scenario a small generator is easier to silence than a petrol chainsaw, but it means a lot more kit to drag about.

I think I would spend the money on decent hand-powered equipment instead.
24 August 2015, 21:32,
I learned the hard way that one person can not keep up with the firewood needs of a North American Winter using a hand saw. "The been there done that and nearly froze to death" kind of knowledge.

Perhaps it is possible in your mild British winters but not for heating in -20 temps with snow down for two or three months.

You have to get your wood in during summer, and you need lots of it. That requires a chain saw and a truck or a family of 10 kids with hand saws and wheelbarrows.

The thing is, SHTF you do not have 10 kids, and if you did 8 of them would tell you to f%$& off.
24 August 2015, 23:45,
(24 August 2015, 21:32)Mortblanc Wrote: I learned the hard way that one person can not keep up with the firewood needs of a North American Winter using a hand saw. "The been there done that and nearly froze to death" kind of knowledge.

Perhaps it is possible in your mild British winters but not for heating in -20 temps with snow down for two or three months.

You have to get your wood in during summer, and you need lots of it. That requires a chain saw and a truck or a family of 10 kids with hand saws and wheelbarrows.

The thing is, SHTF you do not have 10 kids, and if you did 8 of them would tell you to f%$& off.

Native american saying "build small fire keep warm, build big fire keep warm cutting firewood".

Or something like that.
24 August 2015, 23:57,
Not necessarily the difference between big fire and little fire (the wood stove only holds a set amount), but the situation where one builds a fire in the wood stove in October and it is not allowed to go out until April.

We often go below freezing in December and never see the temps rise much above that mark until March with both November and April being very touchy. First snow is usually in November and last snow in April with snow cover on the ground for all of Jan and Feb.

It takes a huge amount of wood.
25 August 2015, 08:59,
MB is very correct....huge amounts of firewood are required, even here in the UK.

Most of you are aware i changed from a Rayburn range ...which i could cook on ...bake bread in the oven....heat hot water and heat 3 small rads....this had a small fire box ...logs about 8" 4 cords of wood would see us through winter with 2 ton of coal.

This was changed to a STRATFORD 125,000 btu multifuel boiler ..this heated the whole cottage 15 rads, and hot water.....big fire box now logs 20 " long.....results......9 cords of wood 6 ton of coal, now i know my wife was ill ...but this is not sustainable for me even with my brand new chain saw ,5 ton spliter, a tipping trailer, and 4 x 4 and the means to go get plenty of wood.

The change

1. a smaller home.....i mean small !
2. 5" insulation everywhere floor ,walls,ceiling,roof, plus extra 2" on outer walls
3. solar panels 14 off on the roof
4. water wheel generater 12 volt system
5. Rayburn range ...new one
6.tripple glazed class A windows argon gas filled

as MB points out on a regular basis, being vintage slows you up....forget shtf ...just being vintage is enough to be going on with....so i am prepping for that first, is my truth....i to am slowing up, i intend to be warm and comfortable in the dead of winter.
25 August 2015, 18:28,
You will also find yourself unconsciously shutting off rooms in your house, heating the most efficient room and everyone gathering there to stay warm.

I now consider my wood stove as only an emergency heater. It is there for use in grid down situations, which occur more than they should in my area. I keep a cord of split seasoned wood stacked behind the house and add to the stacks as trees fall due to storm or wind damage. The pile is actually growing faster than I use it.

At my age, even with a truck, good chain saw and access to wood, I can not keep up with the demands of our winters. Three back surgeries and two heart attacks maintain that inability.

Truth is, I had my first heart attack while logging. I went down right in the middle of splitting up a 100ft white oak after felling and blocking the beast out. Had to split it on the spot because the blocks were too big to load.

Severe chest pain, ride to the hospital, stints/balloons, week in cardiac intensive care. And I still had to go back and haul the rest of the wood! Took me two more months to get that tree out of there, but I was at "go slow" rate by then.

I am fortunate that I live in a region where the electric rates are low and I now heat with electric power. Even though relatively cheap, I still shut off rooms in winter to save money.
25 August 2015, 18:59,
Update.. the Rayburn range will be oil fired........wait guys........i will have the conversion kit to change to wood and coal should the need arise....this will take around 6 hours to convert.....sorted.
26 August 2015, 20:11,
There's a little saying that goes "you get what you pay for". I'd buy the best tool I could afford, particularly for things like chainsaws. We have a large Stihl - it's brill!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.