Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bugging out??
11 March 2012, 21:49,
RE: Bugging out??
how easy a home becomes a prison?
and we should all realise that after an event shotguns would be the only weapon people will use against us their or loads of illegal guns out there?
to win the war, you must be willing to die
11 March 2012, 21:54,
(11 March 2012, 21:49)grumpy old man Wrote: how easy a home becomes a prison?
and we should all realise that after an event shotguns would be the only weapon people will use against us their or loads of illegal guns out there?

That's exactly my thought. I know guys that I would refer to a decent guys, but some of them claim to have guns. Probably legal shotguns though. I also know people that are probably not decent, althought they are to me, and I'm rather certain a lot of them have guns too.

I don't care if I have a bow and arrow, I'd rather have a gun.

In the woods, your effective range with a bow and arrow will be your sight range, which....oddly enough.....will be the same sight range as a shotguns effective range. In summer the woods will be much greener, and a shotty will be the idea weapon.

A guy in the paras that I know said he always laughed at people that suggested taking a sniper rifle into the jungle, because you can only see a few meters infront of your nose. A shotgun is ideal for wooded areas.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
11 March 2012, 22:04,
No place is 100% secure. You just have to make it as secure as you can and have an escape route just in case. A dam is viable for that easily enough but you must be prepared to evacuate.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
11 March 2012, 22:14,
Have any of you got round abouts , round abouts on dual carriageways where the main road goes over the round about so only local traffic has to use it. If you look carefully at many of them they frequently have big 3ft by 6ft 6 in steel doors in em, many are actually quite large, easily large enough to camp in for a few weeks, with the added bonus they are damnn ear bomb proof and as uninteresting as anything. Equally near many towns in the 1960s entire council workshops, salt stores, snow plough depots, storage facilities were built under elivated stretches of dual carriageway, a Great example can be found on the A167 at Newton Aycliffe, in Co Durham, on the south bound side you see an acess road to a Caravan storage yard, it used to be a council yard, at the bottom end of the yard the access road road turns right in 2 places and goes under the dual carriageway, both are gated or steel doored and can hold probably 10 x large trucks, again worth watching for when you drive.

11 March 2012, 22:17,
(11 March 2012, 22:14)NorthernRaider Wrote: Have any of you got round abouts , round abouts on dual carriageways where the main road goes over the round about so only local traffic has to use it. If you look carefully at many of them they frequently have big 3ft by 6ft 6 in steel doors in em, many are actually quite large, easily large enough to camp in for a few weeks, with the added bonus they are damnn ear bomb proof and as uninteresting as anything. Equally near many towns in the 1960s entire council workshops, salt stores, snow plough depots, storage facilities were built under elivated stretches of dual carriageway, a Great example can be found on the A167 at Newton Aycliffe, in Co Durham, on the south bound side you see an acess road to a Caravan storage yard, it used to be a council yard, at the bottom end of the yard the access road road turns right in 2 places and goes under the dual carriageway, both are gated or steel doored and can hold probably 10 x large trucks, again worth watching for when you drive.

That's some good thinking. I was wondering about midnight caching on roundabouts a couple of weeks ago.

The problem with big doors......having a bad back ;-) haha, I'm sorry mate, I couldn't resist. But yeah, you've given some interesting ideas there. Thank you.
11 March 2012, 22:30,
GPO telephone exchanges built from late 50s through lates 60s and some in 70s, usually the give away is external steps down to a steel cellar door, lots of spring loaded lourve vents, big oil tanks set under road or street level. These were built with locker rooms and bunk beds for Post Office Technicians to man and maintains the exchanges during a nuclear war. all the supplies have long since got but most of the secure rooms are still their along with sink, water, bogs etc.

Many 1960s modern town centers had multi story car psrks built, over with an undrground or sub street level, these frequently for some weird reason were fitted with big steel doors that could close off both vehicle and pedestrian access, some still have "" Maintenence "" rooms behind steel doors out of sight and mind.

Some modern shopping centers were build with underground delivery bays for trucks to get right under the shops they served (Stockon on Tees is a good example) also with heavy duty doors, staff rooms, toilets, emergency lighting etc.

12 March 2012, 13:10, (This post was last modified: 12 March 2012, 13:13 by bigpaul.)
have looked at telephone exchanges NR, but the only ones you get out in the sticks like here are SMALL local exchanges, usually one room with a single door and thats it!
(11 March 2012, 21:08)Skean Dhude Wrote: Have you ever heard the work siege?

maybe if they were the ordinary public but we will be preppers in situ and we will have our preps wont we? and we wont run out of water its a reservoir!- more than one way to get to the bottom of the dam to access water.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 March 2012, 13:37,
BP,

They just need to leave one sniper with a radio and rotate him. There will be a vast area he can hide in call for his mates and start shooting to keep you pinned down. It won't be like the middle ages with them all sitting about.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 March 2012, 15:03,
(12 March 2012, 13:37)Skean Dhude Wrote: BP,

They just need to leave one sniper with a radio and rotate him. There will be a vast area he can hide in call for his mates and start shooting to keep you pinned down. It won't be like the middle ages with them all sitting about.

no SD, we will be INSIDE the dam! nothing for their sniper to shoot at! and i have to say, this isnt one of your big city reservoirs this is in the middle of Dartmoor, with a good pair of binoculars you can see people for miles.and as this will be some time AFTER TSHTF i dont expect there to be many people to be able to find us.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 March 2012, 15:07,
That sounds like a fair plan BP.

So you'll bug in to start. Then bug out when it starts coming your way. After that, you'll be bugging in to your new BOL. When it all settles down, that's when you move on to the res?

Kind of like my plan, but I think I'll be in the woods instead of at a house.