Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State University Stabbing and Vehicle Attack
18 December 2016, 22:18,
RE: Ohio State University Stabbing and Vehicle Attack
First aid training is a no brainer, its vital. Make sure YOU are safe and deploy your skills.
ATB
Harry
19 December 2016, 07:51,
There is first aid and then there is trauma response. The public is not trained to respond to this level of trauma, even if they have had normal first aid training.

How many people between 17 and 22 (this was on a college campus) could you pull off the street who would know proper procedures for severe stab wounds?

Even fewer have ever seen anyone's guts hanging out of their stomach cavity or a throat cut ear to ear, or the results of arterial bleed out.

Perhaps the public needs a new level of training to respond to the modern attackers. And perhaps it should be part of the regular school curriculum so everyone would have it.
19 December 2016, 14:15,
Any training is good training, blood loss control is basic in the UK.
ATB
Harry
20 December 2016, 17:02,
I'm a former Coast Guard EMT and mass casualty drills were part of my training. I'd probably end up heading towards the carnage, not away from it. That being said, a completion certificate from a Red Cross First Aid Course and a well-stocked medical bag might be handy things to have in the future.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
20 December 2016, 19:20,
(19 December 2016, 14:15)harrypalmer Wrote: Any training is good training, blood loss control is basic in the UK.

Stopping the blood flow is basic world wide.

It is good that the UK has begun stopping the blood flow rather than applying the leaches and draining the infirm.

What I am referring to is the scenes such as Jonas has trained for, mass casualties in varying states of trauma which the basic first aid course does not prepare one to handle.

Few Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, school teachers or even nurses have had combat first aid training, nor have they encountered spontaneous amputations or sucking chest wounds which are often part of the carnage left by these attacks.

We need a higher level of FA training offered, or even required, for the public.

And it should be noted that witnessing the aftermath of mass casualty situations is the trauma that plants the seeds of PTSD. Many of the troops that suffer from the malady were not injured themselves but witnessed and worked through the aftermath, treating casualties and managing the cleanup of bodies and equipment.

And the troops get training!