Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
EMP
12 March 2012, 16:31,
RE: EMP
Daylen,

Most components will be fine. It is the little integrated circuits that are sensitive. However, wrap them in foil and put in a metal sweet tin and they will be fine.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 March 2012, 17:33,
I am technology less post shtf for that reason B.P. dont want it dont need it would love the peace and quiet....
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
12 March 2012, 17:57,
It doesn't have to be noisy. Technology allows us to do many things better, faster and more accuratly. Medicine, tools and comfort. We can survive without it but life will be shorter and harder.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 March 2012, 18:31,
(12 March 2012, 17:33)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I am technology less post shtf for that reason B.P. dont want it dont need it would love the peace and quiet....
totally agree with you Mike, dont need it, dont want itBig Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
12 March 2012, 18:44,
Daylen,

For an EMP to cause damage a complete circuit is required, or there has to be an alternative outlet for the power surge.

To explain this better, a small metal 'stick' just sat there on the floor will not do anything. However, a lightbulb (given a strong enough EMP) can short out, simply because inside the bulb there is the capability for electricity to flow 'undirected'. It's like moving something into an electromagnetic field. A tube light will light up, a light bulb will light, a speaker will make noise, but a piece of metal will just sit there, because there is not an outlet for the energy.

Yes it will be induced with a charge, but that will disipate.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
12 March 2012, 19:12,
Scythe,

Not true in all cases. If the wire is long enough, the intensity is large enough and the voltage created exceeds a certain amount it will create its own circuit. That is what lightning is.

However, if the wire is small enough it will be fine. The EMP generated is relative to the length of the wire.
Skean Dhude
12 March 2012, 21:57,
(12 March 2012, 19:12)Skean Dhude Wrote: Scythe,

Not true in all cases. If the wire is long enough, the intensity is large enough and the voltage created exceeds a certain amount it will create its own circuit. That is what lightning is.

However, if the wire is small enough it will be fine. The EMP generated is relative to the length of the wire.

I remember in college my teacher saying that an induced charge like an EMP will disipate where possible. So a lightbulb will transfer the electrical energy as long as it's grounded, through light. Same as a flurescent tube light will. Same with speakers, the lecturer said they disipated the energy at the same rate they are charged, i.e. the tone from the speaker is the same frequency of the charging. The teacher called it 'the sound of induction'.

They also said that if the charge was too big, they would act as a fuse, and break.

I'm confused now. I trust you SD, but I also believe my college teacher.

This needs some investigating! haha

I'll check with one of my room mates. He's doing his phd in electical engineering.
13 March 2012, 07:19,
(12 March 2012, 17:33)mikebratcher69 Wrote: I am technology less post shtf for that reason B.P. dont want it dont need it would love the peace and quiet....

Lost my mobile recently, I'm enjoying the peace and quiet, not missing it at all.
Failure is NOT an option
13 March 2012, 15:35,
(12 March 2012, 21:57)Scythe13 Wrote: They also said that if the charge was too big, they would act as a fuse, and break.

and there it is. One broken, melted, component. Exactly as I said. Your teacher was right

Skean Dhude
13 March 2012, 18:11,
(13 March 2012, 15:35)Skean Dhude Wrote:
(12 March 2012, 21:57)Scythe13 Wrote: They also said that if the charge was too big, they would act as a fuse, and break.

and there it is. One broken, melted, component. Exactly as I said. Your teacher was right

Okay, you're confusing me now. I'll wait for Jin to get back (not the same Jin I went to China with). We'll have a fun game of, S13 trying to explain an EMP using international sign language! haha