Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
EMP
13 March 2012, 18:43,
RE: EMP
Not a problem.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 April 2012, 10:48,
Would an EMP from a large solar flare, not disable a car/van?
22 April 2012, 11:02,
Everyone has a faraday cage just to let you know. Well most people, it's called a microwave Wink they have them built in to stop the speard of the radiowaves that it produces to excite they water particals.
Failure is always an option.
22 April 2012, 11:08,
i reckon if an EMP occurs my car is fried because it got a computer in it?
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2012, 11:32,
Possible, I have seen contratadicting evidence, I definately think it depends on the circumstances of the EMP and the distance from the wave etc.

Old vechiles are probably fine but just about all cars can new and old can survive direct lightening strikes. Messes with the computer but not destroying it.
Failure is always an option.
22 April 2012, 11:59,
It depends on the strength of the solar flare but cars are very large metal shields. We have solar flares all the time with no issues. It will take something exceptional to make a difference. A nuclear EMP is much stronger and localised that needs very strong shielding, an unshielded car just won't cut it.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 April 2012, 12:01,
(22 April 2012, 11:32)Neuralsandwich Wrote: Old vechiles are probably fine but just about all cars can new and old can survive direct lightening strikes. Messes with the computer but not destroying it.

I said this, until I was informed that an EMP is an induced current, while lightning is a direct charge. If it's direct, it has flow, a way in and a way out. Also, the fuses stop any charge from frying the circuitry if a massive charge hits a car. Let's not forget the rubber tyres that insulate the car from the ground.

The issue is that an induced current will directly charge the components and providing the charge is large enough.....fffzipt, it's fried. No more working components, no more working anything electrical.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 April 2012, 12:49,
will an EMP knock out petrol pumps as well? if so talking about vehicles is fairly academic, i'll be looking for a pony and trap rather than another car.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2012, 13:15,
(22 April 2012, 11:02)Neuralsandwich Wrote: Everyone has a faraday cage just to let you know. Well most people, it's called a microwave Wink they have them built in to stop the speard of the radiowaves that it produces to excite they water particals.

Knew I seen this some where, was wondering do I still have to earth the microwave? and do the items still have to be wrapped in any thing or ok just placed inside?

22 April 2012, 13:18,
(22 April 2012, 12:49)bigpaul Wrote: will an EMP knock out petrol pumps as well? if so talking about vehicles is fairly academic, i'll be looking for a pony and trap rather than another car.

Yeah mate, I think it will know them out. They're electrically pumped. You'd be better with a siphon and a hand pump, to refill your car.....which may well still not work.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin