Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
EMP
22 April 2012, 13:49,
RE: EMP
(22 April 2012, 13:18)Scythe13 Wrote:
(22 April 2012, 12:49)bigpaul Wrote: will an EMP knock out petrol pumps as well? if so talking about vehicles is fairly academic, i'll be looking for a pony and trap rather than another car.

Yeah mate, I think it will know them out. They're electrically pumped. You'd be better with a siphon and a hand pump, to refill your car.....which may well still not work.
my car wont work cos its got a computer in it, would need something older like a Suzuki carryvan or an old bedford rascal!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2012, 14:12,
(22 April 2012, 13:15)Prep Girl Wrote:
(22 April 2012, 11:02)Neuralsandwich Wrote: Everyone has a faraday cage just to let you know. Well most people, it's called a microwave Wink they have them built in to stop the speard of the radiowaves that it produces to excite they water particals.

Knew I seen this some where, was wondering do I still have to earth the microwave? and do the items still have to be wrapped in any thing or ok just placed inside?

I wouldn't imagine you would need to wrap them, with a faraday cage the charge and current flow around the cage leaving what is inside safe. As for grounding it, I am unsure, it wouldn't harm to have it grounded I think.
Failure is always an option.
22 April 2012, 18:02,
There are arguements both ways for grounding but nobody has a negative for grounding so play that small percentage and ground anyway where you can easily.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 April 2012, 20:14,
This is taking me back to the Cold War again. I built myself an EMP shielded container as a kid. I was very young but my Dad had his own motor mechanics business so I had all the tools and materials I could want (and a bit of help). I read back then, that sliver plated copper sheet is the best material for such a box. I just used copper sheet (now side panels on my chop). But you can't just put your wind up radio (or whatever) in a metal box or microwave... it will still get fried if it's touching or close to an edge of the box. It needs good insulation inside. I used spaced ceramic tiles and then foam rubber.
When I was a bit older, I started to plan an EMP resistant garage to protect my motorbikes and Jeep. This was just a beyond budget pipe dream now.
Currently I have three bikes that run on points (no computer)... they are all kick start too. They run without even having a battery in them. They are not EMP proof, but are definitely EMP durable.
And never underestimate the value of a good mountain bike.
23 April 2012, 01:19,
[/quote]
"my car wont work cos its got a computer in it, would need something older like a Suzuki carryvan or an old bedford rascal!"

[/quote]

It is not just computers in a car that will be fried. Same for everything else. The info has been posted up before.

These previously posted links could do with placing in the forum info library so that enquiring people can look it up first.

This is one of the links as shown earlier on this thread

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

Enjoy, TL.
23 April 2012, 10:19,
"my car wont work cos its got a computer in it, would need something older like a Suzuki carryvan or an old bedford rascal!"

[/quote]

It is not just computers in a car that will be fried. Same for everything else. The info has been posted up before.

These previously posted links could do with placing in the forum info library so that enquiring people can look it up first.

This is one of the links as shown earlier on this thread

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

Enjoy, TL.
[/quote]
yeah, looks like the whole electric grid will be fried, i read somewhere it would take years and years to replace all the fried components, so i think i'll go back to my original comment and go for a pony and trap, and the Amish style lifestyle.Big Grin
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
23 April 2012, 10:24,
Thank for that Tonka.

One thing also worth looking into is styrofoam sheeting, or styrofoam balls in a bin-bag) to line the cage, as an alternative to the tiles and rubber (even though they're much better, finances can dictate otherwise haha). That stuff is a great insulator, and usually pretty cheap too.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
23 April 2012, 12:55,
You could use any non conducting material. Fill carrier bags with sawdust, ash, rice, newspapers, soil, plastic toys, eggbox's, dried food rations, dried poop - anything. As long as it insulates away from the conductive container sides, then it will do the trick.

You do not need to completely surround the object to be protected. It only needs to hold it away from the container sides and be insulating.
23 April 2012, 13:07,
excuse me, just what is the point of protecting your car, computer or whatever it is, if the complete electrical grid goes down then surely everything else that runs off the grid or is supplied by something that runs of that grid(like petrol pumps, automatic doors, TV's etc.etc.) is kaput anyway??
23 April 2012, 18:51,
Exactly, cars are a pre SHTF misdirection of effort in this scenario and a mournful acceptance of the fact after it. lol