Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Heres a tool many dont consider for when TSHTF
16 March 2012, 01:06, (This post was last modified: 16 March 2012, 01:10 by Timelord.)
RE: Heres a tool many dont consider for when TSHTF
[quote='Scythe13' pid='9760' dateline='1331490116']
I think there's a pretty good reason people don't consider them. They are a weapon best used by someone that knows what they are doing. At least with a sword you don't have to be accurate. You don't have to worry about hitting them with the handle, and because of the weight being equally distributed, you're less likely to lose control of it and cut off your own foot.

?????
this reads like a photo negative.. Do you have extensive experience/study with these implements? Please be careful in their use if you think the above is accurate. I would be happy to oblige at some future venue. The reason (modern) people don't consider the axe, is because it is now regarded as a tool and not a primary weapon. There are now many other more sexy/ritualised weapons imprinted in peoples minds, chief of which is the sword.
An axe is an effective, multiuse, robust, simple, devastating weapon. It may well be superior in combat to a sword wielded by an untrained opponent (which would be the modern majority). It is far more effective at cutting through layers of protection, including body armour/helmets. It is easier to carry, smaller, concealable and far less prone to damage. An axe can perform camp duties as well as doubling up as a weapon. An axe does not scream "look at me, I am armed for war" when needing to keep a lower profile.
The cold steel axes are very nice. I have 2, the riflemans hawk which is an excellent camp axe that you could build a log cabin with. The hammer head is very useful as a tool and a mace. It is a bit heavy for a pure combat axe, but would be absolutely devastating if used as such, although a little slow to wield. There would be no blocking the thing once it was being swung. The other I own is the Norse axe. This is a pedigree design that is historically proven over many hundreds of years. It is nice & light and is really a combat axe, not a tool. This axe would be absolutely lethal and quick to turn. The shafts are nice quality, but the stupid American engineering type design with a steel grubscrew threaded from the side of the head into the wood shaft needs removing first before use, or it is liable to split the shaft upon impact. It is unnecessary anyway. TL.

Beware purchasing Cold Steel swords. I have recently been informed that the blades are made out of 01 toolsteel - which is a joke if true - another American knifemaking legacy probably - definitely a no go for sword blades. I am looking into this at the moment. If true, then the Norse sword I own will be consigned to a "wallhanger" only. Shame, it would have been ideal for the Zombie Apocolypse! LOL.
[quote='Timelord' pid='10182' dateline='1331856370']
I think there's a pretty good reason people don't consider them. They are a weapon best used by someone that knows what they are doing. At least with a sword you don't have to be accurate. You don't have to worry about hitting them with the handle, and because of the weight being equally distributed, you're less likely to lose control of it and cut off your own foot.

?????
this reads like a photo negative.. Do you have extensive experience/study with these implements? Please be careful in their use if you think the above is accurate. I would be happy to oblige at some future venue. The reason (modern) people don't consider the axe, is because it is now regarded as a tool and not a primary weapon. There are now many other more sexy/ritualised weapons imprinted in peoples minds, chief of which is the sword.
An axe is an effective, multiuse, robust, simple, devastating weapon. It may well be superior in combat to a sword wielded by an untrained opponent (which would be the modern majority). It is far more effective at cutting through layers of protection, including body armour/helmets. It is easier to carry, smaller, concealable and far less prone to damage. An axe can perform camp duties as well as doubling up as a weapon. An axe does not scream "look at me, I am armed for war" when needing to keep a lower profile.
The cold steel axes are very nice. I have 2, the riflemans hawk which is an excellent camp axe that you could build a log cabin with. The hammer head is very useful as a tool and a mace. It is a bit heavy for a pure combat axe, but would be absolutely devastating if used as such, although a little slow to wield. There would be no blocking the thing once it was being swung. The other I own is the Norse axe. This is a pedigree design that is historically proven over many hundreds of years. It is nice & light and is really a combat axe, not a tool. This axe would be absolutely lethal and quick to turn. The shafts are nice quality, but the stupid American engineering type design with a steel grubscrew threaded from the side of the head into the wood shaft needs removing first before use, or it is liable to split the shaft upon impact. It is unnecessary anyway. TL.

Beware purchasing Cold Steel swords. I have recently been informed that the blades are made out of 01 toolsteel - which is a joke if true - another American knifemaking legacy probably - definitely a no go for sword blades. I am looking into this at the moment. If true, then the Norse sword I own will be consigned to a "wallhanger" only. Shame, it would have been ideal for the Zombie Apocolypse! LOL.
[/quote]

?????

?????

?????

Messages In This Thread
RE: Heres a tool many dont consider for when TSHTF - by Timelord - 16 March 2012, 01:06