Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We Need Money
6 December 2012, 16:44,
RE: We Need Money
and stay that way s13
24 February 2013, 21:28,
(31 March 2012, 15:15)bigpaul Wrote: i think you will find the human race did without any form of currency for a large part of our history.

We have had coinage since the 13th century, and I think that SS is right, we will need it again in one form or another,.. coins are probably the best and easiest option to start with.

Without money there really is no society, the saying `money makes the world go around` is very true, it does,...without money we cant trade,... bartering is only one way of getting what we want providing we each have what the other needs,.. bartering alone couldn't go on for long.
A major part of survival is invisibility.
24 February 2013, 21:40,
We have had coinage south of Hadrians walls since at least the 4th century BC cos the romans left the things all over the place.

24 February 2013, 21:51,
(24 February 2013, 21:40)NorthernRaider Wrote: We have had coinage south of Hadrians walls since at least the 4th century BC cos the romans left the things all over the place.

of course you are right,... forgot about them Italians
24 February 2013, 21:57,
(24 February 2013, 21:51)Highlander Wrote:
(24 February 2013, 21:40)NorthernRaider Wrote: We have had coinage south of Hadrians walls since at least the 4th century BC cos the romans left the things all over the place.

of course you are right,... forgot about them Italians

Well they did only go the places that had some practical benefits for a civilised society so ............. Smile

NR ducking multiple thrown Skean dhus

25 February 2013, 10:31,
Go back to pre-AD...into the BC times.

The Chinese used precious metal 'coins' what were more like tokens. The Romans used proper coins a long time pre-AD.

As HL said, it's those Italians that created the basic banking system we know today. Granted it's been manipulated ten times over, but you get where I'm coming from.

Go back to ancient Babylonia.....coins.

In a society where people have relatively different wants and needs, you need some form of transactional medium. Whether shells, shiney stones, pieces of paper with an old woman's face on, or whatever.

In jungle tribes, needs are pretty much the same, and so a coin system isn't necessary. In a post SHTF situation, we won't have the bountiful jungle to nurture us and provide for our needs.

As fun as bartering is, we'll need an accepted medium for the transaction of items. In this sense, and throughout history, I put it that we'll need coins.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
25 February 2013, 12:42, (This post was last modified: 25 February 2013, 13:01 by bigpaul.)
(24 February 2013, 21:28)Highlander Wrote: Without money there really is no society.

sounds good to me Big Grin

(25 February 2013, 10:31)Scythe13 Wrote: In a post SHTF situation, we won't have the bountiful jungle to nurture us and provide for our needs.

are you so sure? i put it to you that post SHTF we will be getting a LOT from nature!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
25 February 2013, 20:14,
We could always go back to cowries.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
25 February 2013, 20:47,
(25 February 2013, 20:14)MaryN Wrote: We could always go back to cowries.

I always remember my Mum having those as ornaments,...
25 February 2013, 21:05,
Personally, I think cash is king!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.