Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Free BOB (Bug Out Boat)
4 April 2012, 09:26,
RE: Free BOB (Bug Out Boat)
(4 April 2012, 09:26)Scythe13 Wrote: Don't be underestimating the swelling!!! haha

Sounds like a dodgy chat up line...
4 April 2012, 09:30,
(4 April 2012, 09:26)00111001 Wrote:
(4 April 2012, 09:26)Scythe13 Wrote: Don't be underestimating the swelling!!! haha
Sounds like a dodgy chat up line...

Sounds like an efficient chat up line haha.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
4 April 2012, 10:13,
(4 April 2012, 09:25)00111001 Wrote:
(4 April 2012, 09:22)bigpaul Wrote: depends on how long it has been out of the water, it may need to be soaked for a long time to allow the joints to swell up....before it is watertight.

I think it'll be alright, it's fibreglass Big Grin

sorry, missed that bit, i thought it was wooden, look for any holes or bits that might need patching, if none then your probably ok......says he, the original landlubber!
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
4 April 2012, 10:19,
(4 April 2012, 10:13)bigpaul Wrote: sorry, missed that bit, i thought it was wooden, look for any holes or bits that might need patching, if none then your probably ok......says he, the original landlubber!

The worrying thing is that the last time I flew/rode/drove/piloted/captained a boat I nearly sank the fucking thing. Bloody speedboats, give me a 3 man jet-ski any day.

I didn't realise that boats pretty much shrank after being out of the water for a while! Wasn't until my mate explained that's what the bilge pump is used for it made sense. I always thought it was some sort of maritime sex toy
4 April 2012, 10:29,
(4 April 2012, 10:19)00111001 Wrote:
(4 April 2012, 10:13)bigpaul Wrote: sorry, missed that bit, i thought it was wooden, look for any holes or bits that might need patching, if none then your probably ok......says he, the original landlubber!

The worrying thing is that the last time I flew/rode/drove/piloted/captained a boat I nearly sank the fucking thing. Bloody speedboats, give me a 3 man jet-ski any day.

I didn't realise that boats pretty much shrank after being out of the water for a while! Wasn't until my mate explained that's what the bilge pump is used for it made sense. I always thought it was some sort of maritime sex toy
yeah, they dry out and the timbers shrink which may make them leak, so they have to be wetted for a while to allow the timbers to swell again thus making them watertight......i dont know if the same applies to fibreglass...probably not.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
8 April 2012, 16:46,
Fibreglass will just need patching rather than soaking, But dont do what a muppet friend of mine did and patch it from the inside, was pretty funny watching him sink though ;-)
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
8 April 2012, 18:14,
theres a nice small boat in a builders merchants not far from me, not sure why he's got it but its not moved for years... might ask about that.
Then again theres a sailing club near me that could lose a boat?
"Some say the end is near, some say we will see Armageddon soon...
I certainly hope we will, I sure could use a vacation from this silly shit."
8 April 2012, 22:52,
Well I had a proper look at the boat yesterday. Unfortunately I don't have the key. Not sure what the other one opens, but it certainly isn't for the padlock on the boat.

The fibreglass is in good nick, can't say the same for the wood around around the top etc. It's a bit rotten. There are oars with it though, but to use them I'd need to replace the wood on the boat. So first things first is to either open the padlock, or cut the chain, then I can get to it an repair the dodgy bits.

I just hope that I don't cut the chain, repair the boat only to find the real owner come and try and take it back!
8 April 2012, 22:56,
Possession is 9/10ths of the law :-) Fibreglass boats wont have a serial number, not one that cant be painted over anyway :-)
“Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.” Sun Tzu
8 April 2012, 23:13,
would hate to lose a boat over 1/10th just move it somewhere else
to win the war, you must be willing to die