Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Where's everyone bugging out to?
22 April 2012, 12:25,
RE: Where's everyone bugging out to?
Think new preppers need a bit more down to earth advice and need to have made their plans before the event, you don't seem to have a real plan yet scythe, talks cheap but good luck with it.
22 April 2012, 12:52, (This post was last modified: 22 April 2012, 12:59 by Scythe13.)
(22 April 2012, 12:25)Prep Girl Wrote: Think new preppers need a bit more down to earth advice and need to have made their plans before the event, you don't seem to have a real plan yet scythe, talks cheap but good luck with it.

I can see why you'd think that. But this thread is about bugging out, so I've kept it to that.

My plan is to bug in as long as possible, then once I have to leave, I'll up and off. I'm not going to head straight into the woods. I'm going to bide my time and figure out where would be inhabitable and where wouldn't be. Because of the unpredictability of what event it is, and where it will effect, I've kept my options open.

I know places I could (and may well) go to. I've checked a few properties that would allow me to keep a low profile and stay off the radar. But they're not 100's of miles away. I'll set off after breakfast, and I'll be there before dark.

The thing with my BOB is that it allows me greater capabilities and options. I can bug out like any other prepper. I can walk until my feet drop off, just like BP. I can steal a car (oh yeah, hotwiring is a survival skill) and get a big distance in that. I Also have my own car, so I have that option too. I'm looking into an inflaitable kayak, because Bristol has so many wayer-ways. My desire is to be flexible, so that, no matter what, I have a route/path/waterway/road/anything, out of where I am. Much the same as every other prepper online. But a major difference is that not all preppers can bug out like me! No doubt (and no offence to anyone on here) but on foot, with BOB's, I believe I could cover a greater distance in a shorter time than at least 90% of preppers. I know I can run nearly 5 miles, non-stop, with my BOB, so that instantly gives me a speed advantage.

The log cabin is a last resort. I'm not going to jump into the woods and become a hermit. That is a last resort, and if I choose to do that, I know where I'll go. It'll be about a week on foot to get there from Bristol (I say on foot, but that's running and walking for about 10 hours a day). The thing is......not many preppers will have the ability/knowledge/practice/experience/confidence (possibly even stupidity) to get up and head into the woods, and KNOW they'll be able to survive.

Having no responsibilities and the alike simply provides me with more options and MUCH greater ability to adapt to the situation.

You're right I don't have a set plan. But I have WAY MORE options than most other people.
I'd rather have 50 flexible/adaptable option, than 10 set plans.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 April 2012, 13:06,
Like I said good luck
22 April 2012, 13:15,
You also don't allow enough you need to add "what ifs" to your thinking, for example what if as your about to build your log cabin a lone you catch a flu, or get attacked by a group and lose all your kit, in fact what kit could you carry that would help you live 7 days on the march 10 hours a day during winter, and also allow you to carry the tools to build log cabin, and everything else, even army troops get resupply on route.

Oh and that ray mears fellow has the full support of a TV company behind him, I am sure when he is working in minus 30 he has a heat tent and spare ribs on the grill.

The best thing you’re doing is getting local group engaged in training I think to focus on a group is key and I do understand that even as a group a limit of dependence on group needs to be in place, but a lot of your replies are just not thought out.
22 April 2012, 13:38,
(22 April 2012, 12:52)Scythe13 Wrote:
(22 April 2012, 12:25)Prep Girl Wrote: Think new preppers need a bit more down to earth advice and need to have made their plans before the event, you don't seem to have a real plan yet scythe, talks cheap but good luck with it.

I can see why you'd think that. But this thread is about bugging out, so I've kept it to that.

My plan is to bug in as long as possible, then once I have to leave, I'll up and off. I'm not going to head straight into the woods. I'm going to bide my time and figure out where would be inhabitable and where wouldn't be. Because of the unpredictability of what event it is, and where it will effect, I've kept my options open.

I know places I could (and may well) go to. I've checked a few properties that would allow me to keep a low profile and stay off the radar. But they're not 100's of miles away. I'll set off after breakfast, and I'll be there before dark.

The thing with my BOB is that it allows me greater capabilities and options. I can bug out like any other prepper. I can walk until my feet drop off, just like BP. I can steal a car (oh yeah, hotwiring is a survival skill) and get a big distance in that. I Also have my own car, so I have that option too. I'm looking into an inflaitable kayak, because Bristol has so many wayer-ways. My desire is to be flexible, so that, no matter what, I have a route/path/waterway/road/anything, out of where I am. Much the same as every other prepper online. But a major difference is that not all preppers can bug out like me! No doubt (and no offence to anyone on here) but on foot, with BOB's, I believe I could cover a greater distance in a shorter time than at least 90% of preppers. I know I can run nearly 5 miles, non-stop, with my BOB, so that instantly gives me a speed advantage.

The log cabin is a last resort. I'm not going to jump into the woods and become a hermit. That is a last resort, and if I choose to do that, I know where I'll go. It'll be about a week on foot to get there from Bristol (I say on foot, but that's running and walking for about 10 hours a day). The thing is......not many preppers will have the ability/knowledge/practice/experience/confidence (possibly even stupidity) to get up and head into the woods, and KNOW they'll be able to survive.

Having no responsibilities and the alike simply provides me with more options and MUCH greater ability to adapt to the situation.

You're right I don't have a set plan. But I have WAY MORE options than most other people.
I'd rather have 50 flexible/adaptable option, than 10 set plans.

Really! how comes you have more options then others? how do you work that out? what are your options? for some one that claims to have done every thing you have I would have expected you to be able to do the bread challenge but you balls that up first go, you are free to do what you like I just hope that new preppers that may be reading what you post are not influenced by you
22 April 2012, 13:38, (This post was last modified: 22 April 2012, 14:03 by Scythe13.)
(22 April 2012, 13:06)Prep Girl Wrote: Like I said good luck

Thank you. But I'm not sure whether you mean that in honest heart felt good wishes, or whether you're just not listening to what I'm saying. I have other options, and since the log cabin is a last resort, it kind of means I'll be persuing the other options first.

(22 April 2012, 13:15)WetandCold Wrote: You also don't allow enough you need to add "what ifs" to your thinking, for example what if as your about to build your log cabin a lone you catch a flu, or get attacked by a group and lose all your kit

Okay, those are simple enough. I've got a medical kit and I'm getting anti-biotics soon. So as long as I can hunker down, I should be fine. It's a similar situation to what if you go to your BOL and catch a flu? You treat it the same way you would any other time you have the flu.

If I get attacked by a bunch of people, then I'm going to be severely injured, in which case, I'll probably die, same as would happen to most of us if we were attacked by a bunch of people. Because I'm a big guy, odds are they're going to do a heavier number on me than most people, so I'm pretty certain I'll be dead. If I do survive, I'll catch an infection or something, because my medical kit would be gone with my BOB. What would you suggest in that situation?

WnC, this is not directed at you in specific, but I'm not sure what the problem is with understanding the words "Last Resort"? If the places I have considered are all screwed, I'll have the capability and knowledge to build my own place. It's that simple. If all your BOL's are screwed up, where will you go? Do you have a "last resort" option? If so, then let me introduce you to mine.....it's called building your own place. WnC, you probably have the knowledge to build your own place. But not all people will have. If someone has 5 BOL's, what will they do if all 5 are compromised? Same thing I'll do if 5 places I go to are compromised, find somewhere else or build my own place.

(22 April 2012, 13:15)WetandCold Wrote: in fact what kit could you carry that would help you live 7 days on the march 10 hours a day during winter, and also allow you to carry the tools to build log cabin, and everything else, even army troops get resupply on route.

I think it was another post that I said that in winter I would hunker down and try to see out until Spring. But in the winter, I have about 5 days of marching food. Largely 'weight gainer' powders (1000 calories per shake) and meal replacement shakes, as well as beef jerky, chocolate, and a few other things.

(22 April 2012, 13:15)WetandCold Wrote: Oh and that ray mears fellow has the full support of a TV company behind him, I am sure when he is working in minus 30 he has a heat tent and spare ribs on the grill.

Screw Ray Mears (even though he's much better than me) I'm on about Tom Brown in America!!! The man stripped off on his 16 or 18th birthday, then went off into the woods with just a knife, for 2 years!!! Guess who's ordering his books on Amazon!

(22 April 2012, 13:38)Prep Girl Wrote: Really! how comes you have more options then others? how do you work that out? what are your options? for some one that claims to have done every thing you have I would have expected you to be able to do the bread challenge but you balls that up first go, you are free to do what you like I just hope that new preppers that may be reading what you post are not influenced by you

I made bread and it was delicious. Considering I've never made by own bread before, I was quite impressed with it. I think we might have different definitions of the meaning for 'ballsed that up'. It was a bit burned, but tasted great.

As for more options, I can do all the same things as pretty much any other prepper. Look at finding another location. I can go on a walk and find another BOL, and I have a few places I can already go to (abandoned like BP's, but I don't look at them as being primary secondary or anything like that. They are just options). If I have a woods nearby, each woods gives me another option. I can drive, walk, ride, and will soon be able to row, out of my location. I'll be able to live off the land, as well as sow my own crops and grow my own food, same as anyone else. I'm also working towards being able to build my own home, if the situation calls for that. I can up and off at a moments notice, because I don't have a family to look after. I can pretty much do as I will, because I don't have the same level of social commitments (family in the area, or my own family that rely on me).

My options are not limited by family commitments, locations, safety, and things like that. Because I'm increasing my knowledge pretty much daily, I have many option. I'm not saying you don't. But I don't have the same restraints as anyone with a family, or a set plan.
As a question about options, (when I say can you, I mean, not just "Yeah I recon I can do that. You need to KNOW you can do it, either from experience or from experience!!!) can you:

Hotwire a car?
Ride a motorbike?
Run 5 miles with your BOB?
Purify water?
Build your own temp shelter?
Build your own longer term shelter?
Climb a typical rockface?
Tie a climbing rig (the temp harness made from climbing rope)?
Use a kayak safely?
Safely observe a situation outside your home while being able to leave at a moments notice?
Forage for food from the woods?
Support the people in your BOG (Bugging Out Group)?
Fight off an attacker?
Fight off multiple attackers (3 or more)? (I admit, I got jumped by 3 guys and got my arse kicked. So if you answer yes to this, you're probably lying to yourself)
Catch a fish?
Shoot a rabbit/rat/cat/dog?
Survive overnight in sub zero temperatures, for 2 nights?
Navigate without a map?
Open a tin of food without a tin opener?
Build a solar still?
Recognise the glare of human eyes in the dark?
Recognise the glare of fox eyes in the dark?

These are just simple questions and they're all basic skills.
22 April 2012, 14:25,
Yeah but this is the thing about you Scythe, your going to do this! your going to get that! you talk like your some kind of expert but actually all it is is talk! your full of wild ideas but you don't seem to have the basics in hand and it's those that will save your life, this whole thread has become about you and your dreams none of which actually helps or advises Jan on how to pick a good bug out location which is what the forum should be about, giving advice and helpful ideas and unless you have some need I say more?
22 April 2012, 14:38,
(22 April 2012, 14:25)Prep Girl Wrote: Yeah but this is the thing about you Scythe, your going to do this! your going to get that! you talk like your some kind of expert but actually all it is is talk! your full of wild ideas but you don't seem to have the basics in hand and it's those that will save your life, this whole thread has become about you and your dreams none of which actually helps or advises Jan on how to pick a good bug out location which is what the forum should be about, giving advice and helpful ideas and unless you have some need I say more?

My inital post was simply providing another option and giving them things to think about. Plus it was explaining a BOB and how some people, like myself and TL are adapting ours to give us better capabilities and more flexibility.

The thread was hijacked by simply explaining to you some of the things I was giving an over view of. WnC fairly asked about what my modified BOB (KBSHS) was like and for, I explained and it became a discussion.

Having you saying someone is all talk, who has proved otherwise from winter camping (which included water purifying, foraging, knife skills, cooking, some basic tracking, and a bit more), cliff camping without a tent, and even bread making (also note the fire was made the second time without a lighter, and all wood was found through "Urban Foraging" and split with a knife into a perfectly manageable fire), as well as having organised a meet, and has organised a second meet with a foraging walk surprise (ruined by Terry....haha, it's okay mate, I forgive you), I think it's kind of difficult to say that person is ALL talk.
22 April 2012, 14:55,
yeah yeah
22 April 2012, 15:02,
(22 April 2012, 14:55)Prep Girl Wrote: yeah yeah

With a reply like that, I don't believe I'm actually talking with Prep Girl. I think she's left her computer on and someone is just trolling the forum.