Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to move on
22 April 2012, 17:49,
RE: Time to move on
this is getting way too personal now, i came off UKPreppers because of personal attacks and general unpleasantness, i dont want this to dissolve into a general slanging match, that would ruin a genuine and otherwise positive forum.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2012, 17:51,
(22 April 2012, 17:47)Skean Dhude Wrote: Prep Girl,

I'll be sorry to see you go. If you have an issue with Scythe then blocking him should fix it. You won't see anything from him then. He is very enthusiastic but sometimes that can be taken the wrong way and cause issues.

If you do decide to go then you know you can come back any time. You can always access the data anyway and if you want you can contact me directly if you have any questions.

Thanks SD but I'm quite happy to stay now I have blocked him TongueTongue
22 April 2012, 17:51,
It's difficult to give person specific advice without becoming personal
22 April 2012, 17:54,
(22 April 2012, 17:51)g79 Wrote: It's difficult to give person specific advice without becoming personal

you mean like" go forth and multiply" or words to that nature??Tongue(thats personal and specific all right!Big Grin)
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
22 April 2012, 17:58,
No No, I just feel that sometimes people need to slow down and actually try the skills they have read about instead of assuming that because it sounds easy that it is.
The best way to show yourself how well you can manage is to actually do these things regularly.

Light a fire in the woods using just what you can find,you can use whichever fire lighting method you like but do it after 3 days of rain
find food for each member of your party for a day
Find 3 litres of water for each member of party and purify it
Make a shelter to cover all of your party and keep them dry.

They all sound easy but just try them out .It will be an eyeopener for many.
22 April 2012, 17:58, (This post was last modified: 22 April 2012, 18:03 by Scythe13.)
(22 April 2012, 17:40)g79 Wrote: Don't sulk,just tale criticism and know you own limitations before you tell other how to do it.
You make a big thing about how you are better prepped and have done more than 90-95% of other preppers ,how do you know this.This is just another of your assumptions and you assume you can do it too because you think you can.
You need a reality check,try this.

Go outside and get yourself food and water for a day without being seen,just take your BOB as it is now.Go on Try it then let us know how well you did,if you are seen you you will have failed, if you don't find 2500 calories (RDA) and 3 litres you will have failed.

I'm not sulking, I just think that if everyone wants me to be quiet, then I'll be quiet. I accept the criticism and that's fair enough.

In regards to my assumptions, I have proved I can live in the Cook Islands unassisted for 5 weeks. I was given 1 days training from a local guy, and that was it. I had a machete, a file to keep the machete sharp, and a chunk of string. I had enough tins for 1 a day, then the rest of the food was scavenged/foraged. Thankfully there were loads of coconuts, so I know the system would be different, but the principles of staying dry and warm (at night) would be similar. I managed to get plenty of water then as well.

As for the 90-95% better prepared.....NO CHANCE!!! haha. I know how unprepared I am. If I was really well prepared, I wouldn't need to be on the forum. I believe I would have better chances in the woods than in a semi-rural situation. In regards to fitness though, damn-right I believe I am in the top 10% of preppers, sure. But I train almost daily in MMA and I'm in the gym, as well as running. So yes, I do believe my fitness is well up there. What I believe is that because I do not have the restraights of a family, I do not have that burden to carry and I do not have to take into consideration the issue of looking after anyone other than myself.

But as for your challenge G79 I'm up for that! Sounds like great fun. I'll go into the woods and I won't eat from my BOB! That sounds great!!! I'm not sure how I'll count the calories, but I'll do what I can and will log everything I get. Sounds like fun. I'm in the office tomorrow, so I can't really do that. But I'll do it next weekend. Considering I live in the middle of a very busy street, I'm pretty certain I'll get seen, but I'll go into the woods for the weekend with just by BOB. I did very similar to that with AlyBear, but we were dropped off in the woods at night. Also we did also get our own water, about 6 litres in all and we purified it, drank it, and used it to make cuppa-soup and coffee.
(22 April 2012, 17:58)g79 Wrote: No No, I just feel that sometimes people need to slow down and actually try the skills they have read about instead of assuming that because it sounds easy that it is.
The best way to show yourself how well you can manage is to actually do these things regularly.

Light a fire in the woods using just what you can find,you can use whichever fire lighting method you like but do it after 3 days of rain
find food for each member of your party for a day
Find 3 litres of water for each member of party and purify it
Make a shelter to cover all of your party and keep them dry.

They all sound easy but just try them out .It will be an eyeopener for many.

I totally agree with this. That's one of the reasons I try to get out as much as possible.

Ask AlyBear about the fire. Everything was soaked when we went camping. But the prevailed and we got the fire going. After that experience I went straight online and learned about how best to start fires. Now I can start a pretty good fire very quickly. But trial and error got me there.

Same with the water collection, shelter making, foraging for food, and things like that. These are all skills that I'm practicing on a weekly basis. Since I split with AlyBear, what do you think has been filling my spare time (no, not that Mike haha)?
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
22 April 2012, 18:04,
You've missed the point completely.
Don't plan to do it.Go and do it right now.

As for being super fit ,it just means that you can run away from trouble faster.It doesn't mean you can avoid trouble to start with,a much better prep.

Living on a food rich and essentially pollution free island with plenty of water and building a shelter to keep warm and dry is no comparison to this country in any way so is not a valid point to make.
22 April 2012, 18:18,
Guys,

Lets leave it now.

Prep Girl is fixed which is the important bit.

Scythe has some feedback for him to think about and we will help him with that if he needs it.

This type of exchange is useful to a point and I think we are there now.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
22 April 2012, 19:53,
100 brilliant minds all in one room, huge IQ's, Sharp and astute minds, questioning and lerarning characters, all heading the same direction, NOT ONE OF YOU WITH A BAD BONE IN YOUR BODIES, You buggers just keep misreading and misunderstanding each other.
Dont go the way of the other " prepper" forums, you dont need to, 9 times out of 10 its usually a complete misunderstanding that causes offence.

22 April 2012, 20:03, (This post was last modified: 22 April 2012, 20:05 by Nemesis.)
(22 April 2012, 17:02)Scythe13 Wrote:
(22 April 2012, 16:24)WetandCold Wrote: Scythe I think PG was actually helping you with her comments, in the other thread even if you feel they might be negative, take time and re read what was said it can offer you a chance to reflect or maybe disagree.

I'm not sure calling someone out saying they're all talk, is much help, but she's your friend so I understand where you're coming from.

If push came to shove I agree I would side with her over you I am not going to lie, but that said I do not see this criticism as a push comes to shove event and so I won't blindly take her side I just happen to agree with some of what was said and can see the point she was trying to get across to you.

Since the first part of WnC's comment is the part I'm commenting on, although I do agree with the second part and it would be good to have PG stay and keep posting, I'm going to reply to WnC. Please note I am not hijacking a thread. To be fair, I'm not a fan of people speaking out of their behind, and when I'm posting showing what I'm doing, I don't appreciate someone saying I'm full of hot air, when I've already shown I'm not. I've shown that I will get out and have a go. I had a go at the bread challenge the day it was set. I then tried again a couple of days later. I've been camping in the winter. I've been camping in the woods a couple of nights before I was on the cliff edge.

That’s the problem Scythe you did it with drama and no thought and we all see the end result, it was not very good it was rushed and the point being you need to slow down and gather focus before rushing in, this is not an attack on you I am not trying to do that, today it was just bread tomorrow it could be something more serious (SLOW DOWN)

I'm sorry to say Wnc, but I disagree. I answered Jan's question about where I was bugging out to, then I answered yours about my KBSHS, then suddenly I'm 'full of hot air'. I don't think that's a helpful critique. It seems much more like a direct attack on my character. If you see it otherwise, then that's cool, each and every to their own.

Some of what PG said others are thinking if you can only read or see the negative side of it you’re just never get the point, open your mind and your maybe learn from it and become a stronger person.

But Prep Girl, it will be sad to see you go. If need be, I'll leave. I've got the numbers of lots of the people on the Bristol Group, I've arranged another meet, so after I write up about that, I'll do what NR is doing and take a break from the forums.

My honest opinion you drama everything, if you think that means I am attacking you or taking sides then I am sorry nothing I can do about how you think, other than offer suggestion, one more thing I have read your KBSHS; PM and happen to agree with your thinking regards it, I would suggest you cache place as well but by now I am sure many here know I am going to say that.
I only replied because being directly quoted by Scythe, would have been rude not to.