Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal Tarpaulin Sheet
26 April 2012, 16:23,
RE: Thermal Tarpaulin Sheet
Nice dissection TL and thanks paul, so it looks like a non starter.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
26 April 2012, 17:08,
(26 April 2012, 16:09)00111001 Wrote: You expecting people with FLIR tech looking for you?
Seems a bit OTT to me, but each to their own Smile

Not particularily. It is interesting theory though. Tech stuff..
26 April 2012, 17:11,
(26 April 2012, 17:08)Timelord Wrote:
(26 April 2012, 16:09)00111001 Wrote: You expecting people with FLIR tech looking for you?
Seems a bit OTT to me, but each to their own Smile

Not particularily. It is interesting theory though. Tech stuff..

Enough tin foil will do the same job. Might not be so quiet though.....
26 April 2012, 17:13,
Now who's going a bit nanoo nanoo?? lol. Don't forget to make a tinfoil hat for the head too... lolBig Grin

only jokingBig Grin
26 April 2012, 18:49,
FLIR isn't just for military use. We just don't want to be at an advantage when bad guys are using heat seeking technology to recce our bases.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
26 April 2012, 20:46,
(26 April 2012, 18:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: FLIR isn't just for military use. We just don't want to be at an advantage when bad guys are using heat seeking technology to recce our bases.

Or dogs!!!
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
26 April 2012, 22:16,
(26 April 2012, 18:49)Skean Dhude Wrote: FLIR isn't just for military use. We just don't want to be at an advantage when bad guys are using heat seeking technology to recce our bases.

I know the availability of the hardware, my last camcorder had it. But...
I think the chance of someone using infrared to monitor anyone's location is highly unlikely. Plus you'd have to stay behind the tarp the whole time, so ideally it'd be used to hide / disguise the heat signature of a building (whatever you may have in there) - you could just as easily use tinfoil to do the same. Eventually there will be a signature show through though
26 April 2012, 23:50,
Yes, I agree, you would be unlikely to meet anyone with that type of kit. (Authorities maybe?)

It could be useful for personal concealment from the sudden appearance of an aircraft flying over the area that might have the FLIR equipment onboard. They might not be specifically looking for you but it would pay not to show up easily on any sweeping scans, especially on open areas like moorland etc. It would be useful while camped up to the same effect and could be wrapped underneath for waterproofing & thermal insulation.

Actually, how useful would the tarp be turned into an insulated form of Bivvy / poncho? Survival kit & camping kit that might be a
partial alternative to the usual sleep/shelter systems we are all used to? Now thats got me thinking.....Idea
27 April 2012, 00:07,
(26 April 2012, 23:50)Timelord Wrote: Yes, I agree, you would be unlikely to meet anyone with that type of kit. (Authorities maybe?)

It could be useful for personal concealment from the sudden appearance of an aircraft flying over the area that might have the FLIR equipment onboard. They might not be specifically looking for you but it would pay not to show up easily on any sweeping scans, especially on open areas like moorland etc.

If there are planes flying overhead, then there's probably an army intact as well. In which case, I refer back to Paul's statement.....dogs.

The thermal poncho/bivvy is a nice idea though, TL. You'll have to L7 it off though. haha
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 April 2012, 00:25,
yeah, dogs are a pain in the arse in that scenario BUT they are only any use if the controllers know what area to look for you in the first place and then for the dogs to be able to home in on a scent. That is where escape & evasion tactics come in and cover/concealment is a big part of that. Especially lying low during the day. So I still think it is a viable theory & if it doubles up for other uses as well - then big bonus!

I mean it could be you that is reccying an installation and wish to reduce any chance of discovery. Dogs could be present and so you would need to be downwind. It is not outside of possibilities.

OK, so some semblance of an Army may be about and even IF the aircraft is related to them, they might have other more important objectives or duties to adhere to. Remaining undiscovered would be the first priority in most similar scenarios as this.

Just turning over ideas..