Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thermal Tarpaulin Sheet
27 April 2012, 00:35,
RE: Thermal Tarpaulin Sheet
I think the idea is a bit of fun and I have since learned these are hooked up to a H frame and some troops mention of sleeping under them next to the tank so they must feel comfortable with the thermal protection they offer.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
27 April 2012, 01:11,
I hear what you're saying TL.

Personally I don't believe being hunted by people with thermal imaging equipment would be much of an issue, however, I get the fun element WnC said as well.

On a much more serious note, the idea of a thermal poncho is REALLY appealing! Although an issue of sweat and thus dampness may counteract the idea of the poncho, to stay dry.

WnC showed me some awesome thermal bivis the other day. I don't have a clue what thread, but they were made by "Adventure Medical Kits" (I think that was their company name). They were called "Stay in the Outdoors Longer" or something like that. Really compact and useful! I'll be adding one to my sleeping system.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
27 April 2012, 15:36,
In my view the people who can keep their technology the longest will have an advantage. IR night sights, radios, PIRs will all give an advantage which could easily tip the balance of power.

The inverse of course it to have the capability of detecting or jamming them.

Best to have both in my view.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 April 2012, 00:00,
(27 April 2012, 01:11)Scythe13 Wrote: I hear what you're saying TL.

Personally I don't believe being hunted by people with thermal imaging equipment would be much of an issue, however, I get the fun element WnC said as well.

On a much more serious note, the idea of a thermal poncho is REALLY appealing! Although an issue of sweat and thus dampness may counteract the idea of the poncho, to stay dry.

WnC showed me some awesome thermal bivis the other day. I don't have a clue what thread, but they were made by "Adventure Medical Kits" (I think that was their company name). They were called "Stay in the Outdoors Longer" or something like that. Really compact and useful! I'll be adding one to my sleeping system.

You could use the thermal tarp as a cross between a bivi bag & a bivi tarp. Ie, don't seal the ends up and maybe a short pole or rucksack at the head end. This will allow a throughflow of air and whilst not being quite as thermally efficient, may still produce good thermal properties. it would need a trial to find out. I have slept under offcuts of carpet in a house with no gable end wall & open to sub zero temps. My sleeping bag had gone walkies. The carpet proved good enough to retain my body heat whilst still fully clothed. This insulated tarp idea could turn out to be quite useful. I shall have to try it out sometime soon.

About the thermal imaging, I do agree you are unlikely to be "hunted" by anyone with this tech, but I do think it is feasible that forces aircraft, ie heli's or other may be fitted with this gear and could pick you out by chance as they scan areas for whatever reason. They would not know you were a civilian/prepper and so may take an interest in I.D.ing you as a potential threat. This is more likely in an outdoors/countryside scenario and again, I do not think the probability is high - just that it could be a possibility.. the hunting type scenario I am not suggesting at all.

SD, how are you going to detect or jam PIR's?
28 April 2012, 09:48,
You can't detect them but you jam them with the thermal sheets I mentioned earlier. Or you render them useless with animals by making them trigger them all the time.
Skean Dhude
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 April 2012, 11:20,
Ok, it's not really jamming though. More of a stealth/concealment process. I thought you has some techy way of doing it that would be interesting. yes the tactics you suggest are good. Thankyou, TL

( please can you explain to me how you would render a PIR useless with animals in a tactical sense? I don't quite get this one..)
28 April 2012, 12:38,
TL,

You can jam them with lasers but that needs power. Much better to just slip by them without any energy usage.

One project on my list is to build a ghillie suit that also gives IR cover.
Skean Dhude
28 April 2012, 12:48,
(26 April 2012, 16:09)00111001 Wrote: You expecting people with FLIR tech looking for you?
Seems a bit OTT to me, but each to their own Smile

My very old (1980) Russian night vision scope has a IR switch.
I used to use it to spot heat blobs in thick bush when stalking deer.

Note the term "blob". That's all I see, lighter green than the background but there again, that's all you need.

Russian gear was always the best.